Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Rob26Smith
AF Newbie

Help I messed up my 95 Venge

Ok this is the story. I had recently installed an amp in my car with a switch to turn it on and off in the front. I had a 3 prong switch (here is the link to the switch i have http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D706) that I connected to my remote wire. I split it in half and connected the amp to the ground prong and the cd player to the power prong. The middle prong was for the light inside the switch, thus leaving it unused. Anyways, everything worked fine until I decided to get stupid and try to connect that light as well. So I got another wire, hooked it up to the light prong (middle one) and wrapped it around a fuse in my fuse box. This did not turn the light on, but it canceled the switch, meaning on or off the amp would still work since there was a constant energy source, so I tried another approach. I connected the cd player to the light prong, the amp to the power prong, and the ground I grounded. Here is where my stupidity kicked in. I grounded the wire to the first thing I saw, which of course was a bolt on my door. Yea, the door doesn't ground especially when it's open. Anyways, to my amazement the little light came on for a couple a seconds then dead. I was happy of course until I tried to put on some music and didn't work. Then I started realizing other things around me didn't work either. The dome light did not turn on when door was open (yes dome light switch is set on the door option), also if I left my headlights on and open the door the little alarm didn't go off, and the current from my CD player to my amp stopped. The amp did not make the usual noise it makes when it's on. Nothing worked. I checked the fuses and everything is alright. I cancelled all the plans and set the switch the way it was before when everything worked. Well guess what, it doesn't work anymore, and my lights are still off. The only way I can get it to work is if I introduce an outside power source via a fuse or something. Then amp and cd player work and occasionaly messing around with it I got the dome light to work and the beeping noise, but only with external power. Without external power the things mentioned above do not work. Anybody know what could be the problem?? The fuses are fine at least the ones in the fuse box, under the hood, cd player, and amp. Are there any more fuses I can check that i'm not aware of?? If I take the amp out and everything that was not originally there before, it still doesn't work, so what could be the problem?? Please help me i'm going nuts. I'm left with no options and very little, trust me very little patience. HELP ME PLEASEEEE. Thank you
Rob26Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, it sounds like you backfed through the car's system. Just check ALL of the fuses in the car. That goes for the ones inside the interior and out in the engine bay.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
Rob26Smith
AF Newbie

Re: Help I messed up my 95 Venge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
Yeah, it sounds like you backfed through the car's system. Just check ALL of the fuses in the car. That goes for the ones inside the interior and out in the engine bay.

I did check the fuses and they all seem to be ok, what else can it possibly be? And what controls the dome lights and the little alarm they seem to go together??
Old 10-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
Rob26Smith
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Re: Help I messed up my 95 Venge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob26Smith
I did check the fuses and they all seem to be ok, what else can it possibly be? And what controls the dome lights and the little alarm they seem to go together??

ok no need to worry anymore, problem fixed, whew, it was a fuse after all that I couldn't find.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Help I messed up my 95 Venge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob26Smith
ok no need to worry anymore, problem fixed, whew, it was a fuse after all that I couldn't find.
cool
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger