Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 06:48 PM   #16
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 0805041605
ever had some guy in a camaro, firebird, or monte carlo boast about their car being built in the good ole US of A? theyre pretty dumb, cause all the recent models were built in Canada. you gotta better chance to buy a nissan built here, some are built in mexico.
0805041605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 09:45 AM   #17
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Thats true. Same with the BMW Z3, its built in the states. Honda Accord is to, I think, so is the Camry, MDX, etc. Its like no one wants to build in their home country!
Oh yah, my moms friend will be buying a wagon, cuz SUV's and minivans are stupid. They might get the Passat. Also, the dad is a driver, to, and he loves European cars.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:42 AM   #18
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

OK, getting back on topic, here are some bits and pieces of data that I've accumulated over the years regarding why the Skyline hasnt seen U.S. shores:

1) In order to mass produce the Skyline for the U.S. Nissan would need to design a left-hand drive configuration which was not possible because the RB26DETT's twin-turbos were located exactly where the left-side steering shaft would need to be. Engineers proposed creating a mirror image powerplant, with the exhaust manifold on the right side of the bay, but the idea was scratched because estimated costs of the additional R&D + factory changes were higher than expected return from U.S. Skyline sales.

2) Japanese cars have to meet certain company guidelines before it is decided whether or not they should be sold in other countries; there has to be a significant reason why a specific car should be exported. Japanese sports cars especially need to have strong roots in the country of destination, and since the Skyline never existed here in the U.S. ever in the past, if it were introduced the consumers would most likely not take notice. It wouldnt be an effective expenditure of time and money to redesign a car just so that it may drive on the other side of the road, in countries who had no knowledge of the car's history.

3) Now, why was it never brought here earlier during the 80s, when Japanese sports cars were numerous? The early R30 Skyline models had no place in the States because its role was already filled--by the ever so popular Z line. Compare the Skyline's history to other Japanese sports cars that actually exist here in the States: Mazda's RX-7 has been here since the 70s, but even with such deep roots, importing ceased. The Supra has been here since its birth when it separated from the Celica--yet the car was axed from Toyota's lineup, even with their firm financial status. Would Nissan, especially with a failing business, really want to send out a sports car to a country where Japanese sports cars are digging their own graves?

4) U.S.'s SUV preference.

Perhaps times are changing now. The U.S. is starting to see more "gimmicky" cars show up on its roads. The Japanese predicted that the next auto hype would be rear-wheel drive, high-performance compact sedans. Well, the Toyota Altezza made it here as the highly popular IS300, and Nissan's XVL concept is on the final stages of being put to use as the foundation for several Nissan model changes like the Altima, and some new models as well. Other "interesting cars" include the upcoming rally cars, as well as Mazda's RX-08, with its unorthodox suicide doors. As for the Skyline, many are saying that the next model will find its way to the U.S. but will it be a REAL Skyline, with ATTESSA, HICAS, & ~300hp? If not, I say stick with the Z -- the only real Nissan sports car that North America knows...
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 09:54 AM   #19
Chris
Oldie

You are right on all counts, and I few I things I wasnt sure opf, like the mirror engine, you have cleared up.
And I hope powerful rear-drives get more and more popular. Nissan has the best new stuff, but the WRX is the best! Hopeful it will keep on coming. Hey, some deja vu, kinda like the early 90's.

Ohhhhh, I want a skyline.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:13 PM   #20
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

Yet another theory

It's also been discussed that the reason the Z has been in the states and not the skyline is because the skyline was not originally a Nissan model. The nissan people would rather have their own model strive and not give the Prince Motors car all the extra love and attention it needs outside of Japan. Which might be why they're putting all this money into a new Z rather than trying to bring the skyline which they should obviously know by now that we all want REALLY bad.

Just my .02 worth.
super 96 accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:46 PM   #21
Chris
Oldie

Are you sure the skyline wasn't always Nissan? I'm pretty sure it was.
Old 06-06-2001, 03:27 PM   #22
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

I'm pretty darn sure. Anyone else wanna back me up on this one?
Old 06-06-2001, 04:23 PM   #23
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Ford had a Skyline back in the 50's, maybe thats why. It's the one with the hydraulic hardtop that retracted into the trunk.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 04:44 PM   #24
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

To those of you who doubted me,
To those of you who were w/me,

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~robs/kevspage4.htm

HAHAHHA I win!
Old 06-06-2001, 07:18 PM   #25
R35
AF Enthusiast

Accord is right even with the wrong car Just kidding (I drive an Accord and Odyssey now). The Prince Skyline was from Prince Motors in Japan. For those saying "Well the 240 Z was originally built by Datsun not Nissan". True, to some extent. Datsun was the name that Nissan used for the US market back in the 60's and early 70's to test out the market. Once they saw that they could make it in the land of the BIG muscle car they came in full as Nissan and absorbed all the Datsun line and Mr. K the creator of the Z was made the first President of Nissan of America.

Now on to some of the theories (that's all they are) as to why the Skyline has not made it to the US. I agree with Morph on most parts.
1) Agree
2) Not really, remember the NSX? All new no real solid history. At least the Skyline is known by everyone on this forum and many others that truelly love cars. So I think it will out sell many others. Expect a long line at the dealers when they get here, I'll be the one in front of you.:alien2:
3) Nissan in the past came on strong with the new 300 ZX in 90', a redesigned Maxima, Sentra and introduced a luxury line called Infinity. Then it was like someone cut their balls off?! and they just stopped. Everything went down hill from there. I hope this isn't the case now, where they seem to be making some good agressive moves.
4) Did I tell you guys about the Jackass that use's an RV for a daily commuter?! WTF?!

Another thing I agree on with Accord, I also heard that there was an inside argument going on between the Z family and the Skyline family about which car should get top billing. There is a huge split in Nissan when it comes to these two cars. To be honest I think both cars can co-exist in the US if not the world. The Z at under $30K and the Skyline at $50K ($50K is the actual price of a Skyline GT-R V spec II using current exchange rate from Yen to US $) so stop saying the Skyline cost $90K. That's only if you try to buy a new one from MotoRex.:smoka:
Old 06-25-2001, 12:02 PM   #26
FUKNCRUZN
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to FUKNCRUZN
The problem about ppl in the states is that they don't know about all these japanese imports......... and another problem with gettn them in the states is that teh skyline violates an immisions regulation or sumtin like that...the car gives off to much exhauste or some pinner thing like that but i've e-mailed a bunch of import dealers here in can and i think we can get them imported here but not %100 sure yet....... but hell as soon as i got the cash a nice r-34 will be mine.
FUKNCRUZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 04:24 PM   #27
Adam
AF Enthusiast

but it will be sold... in 2003
Old 06-25-2001, 05:51 PM   #28
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 0805041605
FUKNCRUZN, you can get the skyline shipped here, but then you gotta pay for customs bullshit, and have nessecary safty thingies put in, and it has to pass emmissions, i think actually two different tests. you can get them through motorex (motorip-off). the car is about $50k, then shipping i think is like $10k. safety stuff really isnt much, so motorex makes about lets say $25k. you also have to wait a few months while the governtment holds the car to make sure its "good."
0805041605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 06:00 PM   #29
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Skyline used to be Prince and then Nissan bought Prince so it became Nissan.
Old 06-25-2001, 06:26 PM   #30
R35
AF Enthusiast

Also MotoRex did crash test 2 of each car to have them ok'ed in the states. They need to recoup their initial investment, so the price is not a major thing. It does suck that they are "used" cars and that they have to be "lightly" modeified to qualify. Although I do hate to pay double the price for a used car I have to say "Thank you" to the gents at MotoRex, unlike Nissan they at least see the market for Skyline lovers.

Now maybe after kissing up they'll give me a discount.