Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which car is better and has more 'bang' for the buck?
Lamborghini Gallardo 5 45.45%
Ford GT 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:44 AM   #61
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
The Ferrari's horsepower isn't going to be as important as the overall design of the new chasis and suspension geometry that will exist on the new one IMO. More hp will also change the attitude of the car, they will definatley need to compensate for the adjustment. And if anybody knows Ferrari, it won't be an obstacle that will not be overcome. It honestly wouldn't suprise me if Ferrari built a better or comparativly better vehicle (which I'm sure everyone will agree), but its still to soon to tell. The automobile market is so competive at every level which hasn't happened this intense in such a long time. I'm so excited to see such new inoventions and much better products of new and inspiring vehicles of the future. Even the american cars are becoming a vehicle of higher quality than ever before.

The new Ford GT has been an example of whats to come. Other exotics will fire with a rendition of their newest successors and make this even more interesting. Things will become very interesting in the near future. I'm going to the chicago autoshow and snapping some pictures of some of the cars their tomorrow. Hopfully I'll see some great new concepts. I've heard the new NSX is suppost to be their.

Anyways, I can't see anything that couldn't be done with the 5.4 than could be achieved by the 4.2. Only more maintence.
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:26 AM   #62
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

i agree with kurtdg19. ferrari isnt a company that will just sit back and see one of it's cars get beat by so many other cars. ferrari wants to be the best and imo they have the capabilities to do it. ferrari will prevail.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:20 AM   #63
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

I agree, I think that with a year or two or development the GT will shake a lot of the early criticism off, but as for now...
Old 02-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #64
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

but as for now...
What?
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Looking for any Pontiac 1979 and earlier
"In order to establish a sportscar, you have to race it." -Zora Duntov
"There's no replacement for displacement"
Super Duty- Everything a Pontiac ought to be (until Ford swiped the name for it's truck line.)
1965PontiacGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #65
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

As for now I stand fast by the Gallardo, but in the next two years with the GT developements, who knows, I may change my mind (stranger things have happened). Or I may transcend this debate and pitch my chips with the Ferrari 420.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #66
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

oh, ok
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Looking for any Pontiac 1979 and earlier
"In order to establish a sportscar, you have to race it." -Zora Duntov
"There's no replacement for displacement"
Super Duty- Everything a Pontiac ought to be (until Ford swiped the name for it's truck line.)
1965PontiacGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:42 AM   #67
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Re: Re: Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Chevrolet have never built a super car, they've made a cheap wannabe supercar that is the American Skyline GTR.

The Ford GT on the other hand is certainly more competent than the ZO6, OK a LOT more competent. But do you honestly see the GT being cheaper than a 360 by the time the dealer sells it to you??? I certainly don't.

Besides we've gotta remember that the 360 is ageing at the moment, it's in a holding pattern as the replacement is due around a similar time the GT is released (2005-2006).

I'm more interested to see if Chryslers Detroit '04 Supercar concept will go into production, personally.
I agree Chevy has never made a supercar my point was that if GM or Dodge wanted to they could. They can throw the money around just like Ford and make a super car that could compete with the other Exoticar manufacturers if so desired.

Also some said the Viper engine was based on there truck engine. Dodge's original idea was this but by the time the first Viper's rolled of the assembly line the 2 engines only shared 2 parts which were electrical sensors nothing else. The 2 engines are that different from each other.

I think Ford using the 5.4 block design and S/C is a great thing and not a downfall. #1 The reliability of doing this has already been proven through the Lighting which lead to the 03 Cobra which now leads us to the GT. It's a proven combination in performance/cost/reliability, 2 of those the other supercar manufacturers can't claim(ex. Porsche if you count them). So thrown together the car is not... this is the evolution of Ford Mod motors that have been 10+ years in the makin.

Also saying that the GT motor is just a S/C Ford truck motor is as ignorant as the people who think a 01 Cobra engine and a 03 Cobra engine are the same except one is S/C. For everything each motor shares they have more in differences. The Mod motors are becoming Ford's strength instead of thier weakness and even me who hated them has started to love them.

I'm not saying you have to like the GT more than the Lambo or the Ferrari 360. But you can't make any real argument against the GT that isn't just an opinion thing. I agree Ferrari will fire back and prob take another step-up. But Ford has N/A 500HP and 600HP N/A Mod motors built that are pretty much drop ins for the 4.6 and 5.4 motors. So I think Ford can fire back also.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #68
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

imo, i dont think ford could keep up with ferrari in making exotic cars. for one, ford has to also produce trucks, suvs, and family cars. all ferrari as to do is make exotic cars so they can spend all there time making that kind of car when ford cant. and two, ford doesnt have near the experience that ferrari does.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 02-17-2004, 03:51 AM   #69
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

I can't believe people continue to harp on the 5.4L V8. It is a good engine. It produces a lot of power. It produces a lot of torque. It can be modded easily. What more do you people want? In full race trim it would easily smash it's competitors.
Mr Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 AM   #70
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
im just saying that the 4.2L will probably outrace the gt. lets thing about statistics. most ferrari's get about 110 hp per liter. with a 4.2L engine, the ferrari will make about 460 hp. with that much hp and a n/a, the 360 (420 it might be called) would probably outrace the gt. but dont take my word for it.

Ok, lets think about how engines work...

Keeping the number of cylinders the same, they either have to increase bore/stroke of the engine. A larger stroke length means more accelerative forces per rev. Not good. Larger bore means more friction per rev. Not good. How would they maintain that 110hp/L benchmark?

Host of other reasons why going up in cylinder number and cylinder size make it harder to achieve good hp/L numbers.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:48 AM   #71
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

lets think a little bit about how ferrari works. they seem to get the most power out of an engine.

the 6.0L V-12 from ferrari makes 660hp. that is simple math and that is making 110hp/L. it seems they maintained the benchmark when they went up in size. so if ferrari can do it going from 3.6L to 6.0L, i think they can do it from 3.6L to 4.2L.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 02-17-2004, 01:02 PM   #72
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19

Quote:
lets think a little bit about how ferrari works. they seem to get the most power out of an engine.

the 6.0L V-12 from ferrari makes 660hp. that is simple math and that is making 110hp/L. it seems they maintained the benchmark when they went up in size. so if ferrari can do it going from 3.6L to 6.0L, i think they can do it from 3.6L to 4.2L.
You forgot about the 4 extra cylinders. Which would make the bore and stroke smaller than a 6.0 V-8, significantly.
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #73
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Look at how much it costs. The engine/tranny combined total more than 200K. Do they have that amount of money to put into a 4.2L V8 (which, by the way, isn't even going to be made after they realized the Gallardo decimated it easily).
Old 02-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #74
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

the 4.2L isnt going to be made?!?!?! are they going to make a better engine? but in your post kurtdg19, didnt you say that going up in cylinder number and size make it HARDER to get the hp/L numbers. so it is achievable by what you are saying. but who knows, we will just have to wait and see.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 02-17-2004, 11:00 PM   #75
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Quote:
the 4.2L isnt going to be made?!?!?! are they going to make a better engine? but in your post kurtdg19, didnt you say that going up in cylinder number and size make it HARDER to get the hp/L numbers. so it is achievable by what you are saying. but who knows, we will just have to wait and see.
Going up in cylinder number won't do anything to the hp/l IF you don't actually increase the cylinder size (bore and stroke) WITH adding the cylinders.

If you increased the size of the cylinders, issues as mentioned above, become much more apparent when you are building N/A hence bolt on power adders must be used.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote