Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
C man
AF Regular

Question Gas mileage?

I have a ? Does a can burn more gas going up to northern states than going south? The reason I ask this is because I made a recent trip (150mi) and only got about 25.6mpg at 70mph with cruise control going up north. I mad a trip south with about the same mileage and got 31mpg at 70mph and cruise control also. Why the big difference?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Buffordboy23
AF Newbie

Re: Gas mileage?

Was there a difference in the altitude between the two locations? If the northern location is higher, then this would explain your result.
Buffordboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Yes the altitude will make a difference... The good thing about the 3800 96+ was that they all went to a MAP sensor.... This helped these cars out a bit...

My 95 Bonneville with the 3800 Series II would get really sick in the mountains.... At the time it was not Modded at all... It was 100% Bone stock..

Over time, I had Gutted the air box, went to a K&N filter, Installed a High Flow Cat... Installed ported Exhaust Manifolds, A Shaved Throttle Body, And then a Ported Lower Intake Manifold that was port matched to the heads... Later down the road I went to a Fender Well Intake...

These items made a difference in the way the car performed in the mountains... Overall it was stronger and required fewer RPM's to get the car over the mountain pass... It still got weak, but not anything as bad as it did stock...

I still pulled a 29 Mpg in the mountains with the 3.06 Gear ratio.... The rest of the time I did 31-32
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
C man
AF Regular

I wish I could do all those upgrades to my car but don't have the funds. What's your city mileage like?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by C man
I wish I could do all those upgrades to my car but don't have the funds. What's your city mileage like?
I managed 19-21 All city... But some of that was Blended fuel.. Most everything here is now 10% Ethanol... But I seem to be doing 20-21 for my city driving..

The Van with a 3800 is a bit bigger and heavier, and the motor is pretty much all stock.. But thats about to change... I netted a 24 Mpg in mixed driving with the Van... I am wondering what the van will do after the Ported lower intake and the 1.8 Roller Rockers( Keep in mind this is a Series I Tuned Port 3800, with these Torque is the name of the game ) If I can get this engine to 190 HP and 250-260 Ft Lbs I will be a happy person...

With the Mods on my 95 Bonneville with the Series II L36, The Mods have not decreased my MPG's... This car has done as good as 23mpg in town, and thats if I'm not driving it...LOL
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General