Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Stratus
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tarheel4eva
Unhappy car jerks when driving

i am going down the highway and my 96 stratus jerks @ around 2700 PRM. It would only do it for about two seconds then it will go away before i didnt have the check engine light. Now the light came on about a day ago. It would also die out when i come to a fast stop ie. (red light) I just had a tune up oin this car any suggestions?????????????????????????
tarheel4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
MrRoscoePC
AF Regular

Stumble

Two things come to mind. Check the spark plug wires at the coil pack (4cyl engine ?) see if they are rusted. If they are rusted too badly to ckean with sandpaper (220 grit) then you will need to replace the coil pack and the plug wires. Also check the spark plugs condition and if the tops of the plugs are covered in oil. The oil shorts the wires to ground instead of to the spark plug. For both engines (4cyl and V6)the cause of a hiway stumble could also be a failing O2 sensor. Return to the garage that did the tune-up and get them to see what code the engine light represents. This is a good clue. Also don't be afraid to take it back to them, you already paid for the tune-up, let them finish the job.
Good luck.
RG
MrRoscoePC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
DarkblueTA
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to DarkblueTA
Re: Stumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoscoePC
Two things come to mind. Check the spark plug wires at the coil pack (4cyl engine ?) see if they are rusted. If they are rusted too badly to ckean with sandpaper (220 grit) then you will need to replace the coil pack and the plug wires. Also check the spark plugs condition and if the tops of the plugs are covered in oil. The oil shorts the wires to ground instead of to the spark plug. For both engines (4cyl and V6)the cause of a hiway stumble could also be a failing O2 sensor. Return to the garage that did the tune-up and get them to see what code the engine light represents. This is a good clue. Also don't be afraid to take it back to them, you already paid for the tune-up, let them finish the job.
Good luck.
RG

Agreed on the plugs/wires/02s.

I would take the car to autozone to run the code. They scan for codes for free and you could see what the code really is(probably a bad 02 sensor). If the code is a misfire then I would change plugs and wires.

Good Luck on the car!

GT70, FMIC, Alky-water injection, Hooker Cat back, 208/230 .549/.579 121LSA Cam, forged diamond pistons/eagle rods, LS6 block, Lakewood LCAs, BMR STB/PHRB/Sway Bars, poly torque arm bushing, Spec Stage 4i clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Subframes, 60# injectors, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Moser 12 bolt(373 gears, 33 spline axles, posi, ta girdle/etc/etc/etc) and HPTuner kit

2007 Nissan Titan Daily Driver. 2* advance

DarkblueTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:14 AM   #4
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

Re: car jerks when driving

well i have done some searching and found that i did the quick code finder with the CEL clinking and found that i have the folloing codes: 12,21,and 31. the 21 code ranges from P0131 to P0141 dealing with the O2 sensor. 31 deals with the EVAP P0441 thru P1498. Tomorrow morning while the kids and wifey are sleeoping i'll be working on the car to see if the evap is system is faulty or the O2 sensor. There is a way to test the O2 sensor but i need a digital multimeter which i will get in the morning also. I will post if any changes occur.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #5
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

by the way i have the 2.4L SFI DOHC engine. bri
Old 04-12-2004, 02:25 AM   #6
DarkblueTA
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to DarkblueTA
Re: Re: car jerks when driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel4eva
well i have done some searching and found that i did the quick code finder with the CEL clinking and found that i have the folloing codes: 12,21,and 31. the 21 code ranges from P0131 to P0141 dealing with the O2 sensor. 31 deals with the EVAP P0441 thru P1498. Tomorrow morning while the kids and wifey are sleeoping i'll be working on the car to see if the evap is system is faulty or the O2 sensor. There is a way to test the O2 sensor but i need a digital multimeter which i will get in the morning also. I will post if any changes occur.

Change out the O2's. that should be good to go then for the O2 errors. As far as your EVAP, I am going to ask if its a plastic line coming from it. if so, take it off and inspect it. It might be a cut in the line. If so, just replace the hose and you're back in business. EVAP is an emissions thing anyways...you don't need it for the car to run properly *cough* *cough*.....kinda like my Air Pump/EGR/Kitties. *cough*

GT70, FMIC, Alky-water injection, Hooker Cat back, 208/230 .549/.579 121LSA Cam, forged diamond pistons/eagle rods, LS6 block, Lakewood LCAs, BMR STB/PHRB/Sway Bars, poly torque arm bushing, Spec Stage 4i clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Subframes, 60# injectors, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Moser 12 bolt(373 gears, 33 spline axles, posi, ta girdle/etc/etc/etc) and HPTuner kit

2007 Nissan Titan Daily Driver. 2* advance

DarkblueTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 PM   #7
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

hey thanks for the info Darkblue As much as i hate to get the o2 sensor, but I must. Is there supposed to be a special sealant for it? I know that it's on the exhaust so heat would be a factor in order for it to work properly. Also, I took my battery to autozone to have it charged and the tech told me that it started to make a sparking niose and it couldn't be charged. I will have to get a new battery since this one looked like it was dragged behind another car! If i need a special sealant for the O2 sensor please advise me to use it!!!!!!

T/Y
Bri
Old 04-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #8
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

guess what....................Well when I took my battery out to get charged that also killed the power to the PCM and the CEL is out. Well I have to wait till the light comes back. And to think I was about to go to auto zone to get the trouble codes. Another question is will the codes be stored in memory so I can retrieve them with the scanner?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #9
MrRoscoePC
AF Regular

The sealer on the O2 sensor is nickel antisieze, and the new sensor will come with it already on the threads. Unhooking the battery clears out all stored codes. You will have to wait to see which ones come back. The most common evap fault is leaving the gas cap a little loose after a fill-up or by a faulty gas cap itself. Lastly is the EVAP pump located under the RS headlamp, but this is not a common failure.
RG
PS ya gotta love where they put the battery eh?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! much fun i had!!!! well the evap code went away due to tightening the gas cap down more than afew clicks. but the o2 sensor is there P0135 where is the upstream o2 sensor at???? Ihear in front of the cat but I stil don't see it. Any suggestions???

bri
Old 04-18-2004, 11:15 AM   #11
MrRoscoePC
AF Regular

The upstream 02 sensor is located on the exhaust manifold outlet on the drivers side.The code is for an O2 Heater failure and will need the 02 sensor replaced. If you had the V6 engine you would be in for a real treat!
RG
Old 04-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #12
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

hey thanks for the info, I guess that I would have to get my car on a lift to have access to it. I cannot see it when the hood is up. is there anything that i can take off from up top to replace the o2 sensor?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #13
MrRoscoePC
AF Regular

I suppose you could take off the valve cover and head but that really would be the long way. Seriously though, you will need to get at the 02 from below. Cutting off the wires to get a closed end wrench on the hex is the best way to get the buggers off and feel free to use a hammer on the wrench end if it needs more persuassion. Some are pretty tight.
RG
Old 04-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #14
tarheel4eva
AF Regular

cool thanks for the info.