Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:33 AM   #1
lyonmaster
AF Newbie

New here, can you help me out?

Hi everyone, I知 new to your forms here. I found it a week ago while I was doing a search for information on my 2002 Xterra痴 sound system. I just love my Xterra; it truly is a multipurpose vehicle. I知 not really hard-core off-road; I get enough of that at work to get me by. Plus Uncle Sam pays to fix my M998. I got a few Questions that ya値l might be able to help me out with. First, I知 thinking about installing a K&N Air system on my truck. Will this help me out on gas mileage; I want to put in a tornado also. I知 stationed here in Hawaii and gas prices are killing me. And the extra horsepower would be a nice plus. Any suggestions? Is really worth the $170+ filter and the $80 Tornado? My second question is about the exhaust system. I hate those fart wagons, you know those freaking cars that whiz by and sound like a go cart on crack. My engine purrs, I want to put a few teeth on this cat and get her to roar. I was behind this sweet Dodge Ram truck the other day, and it really roared when he gunned it from the stoplight. I知 not looking for that drag car with no exhaust sound, just a nice growl when I take off. I致e looked around and haven稚 found any mods for this, but I知 still looking.

Also I read a post here about installing an air horn on the Xterra, I have been thinking about that for a while. These locals are either 1. On the cell phone 2. Driving like 20MPH under the speed limit in the fast lane. 3. Rubber necking cause there is a ( object/accident) on the side of the road. But 80% of the time is a tourist not paying attention to the road. And I thought driving in Korea was bad, its worse here. I just want something to get their attention heheh.
lyonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
kinetic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kinetic
Red face

Save the 80 bucks on the tornado. Its pure junk!
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:54 AM   #3
hobbes69
AF Regular

I was thinking about trying the tornado, but I was going to get it dyno'ed before and after to see if it made any difference.
hobbes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
I installed air horns on my X, just took power for the compressor from the end of the wire that normally connects to the stock horn. Had to put a 20A fuse in place of the 10A under the hood, but for something used briefly like that it's not going to fry any wires.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:51 AM   #5
lyonmaster
AF Newbie

My neighbor has both, except he didn稚 go buy the $179 K&N system, he just has the one that replaces the stock filter. On a 2002 Montero Sport he said he has had a noticeable difference in gas mileage. We both live out here in the pineapple fields on a military reservation. On average I fill up twice a week, on Monday and Friday afternoon. It cost about $25 to 27 depending on how low I let my tank get. If it cuts it back to just one fill up that would be well worth the price. I burn a lot on the weekends when we head out to the beaches, or camping. I値l mull over it for a while, I just finished adding a sub woofer and amp in a custom Fiber glass box I made. I値l do another project on my truck once I get all this #%$^ resin out of my arm hairs. I always get as much info on a project before I start it. Thanks for the info I値l keep checking.

Oh also do you think if I got some high performance spark plugs that would make a difference in MPG?
Old 06-04-2003, 11:26 AM   #6
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by lyonmaster
On average I fill up twice a week, on Monday and Friday afternoon. It cost about $25 to 27 depending on how low I let my tank get.
How many MPG do you get?

I averaged about 16-18 MPG but none of the addons brought it up much. If you're getting the same then you may have to deal with it, mods don't help that much, and in many cases they bring it down (and the power up). If you get less than 15 MPG, you either have an SC or your engine might need a little bit of a tune up to get your fuel efficiency back on track.

2000 Nissan Xterra XE, Sport Package, 4X4, Automatic.

And yes its better than yours.
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #7
lyonmaster
AF Newbie

I'm sitting at about 17-19 MPG, my Xterra is a 2002 so there no specific package deal i got a re-up bonus, and bought my Xterra. It has everything except for the seat covers, mud mats and the horse power up grade. It was hard enough finding that, they brought it over from New Orleans, to MS. Everything else i'm missing i bought at Wal-mart or after market for 10 time less than the dealer IE: seat covers, Floor mats, cargo mat, ect. At least here i found some links to some nice sites to get a new brush guard, and top cargo carrier. Great site, thanks for the help, i think i'll just put in the replacement K&N filter. If anyone needs help in some Audio installation for the 2002 Xterra just let me know. I took it apart and put it back so many time i could do it blind folded. I still haven't found that Rockford amp that comes with the 6 disk CD 8 point surround sound system. It etter be there, the ^%^%* charged me for it
Old 02-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
amirchel
AF Newbie

Re: New here, can you help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadX
I installed air horns on my X, just took power for the compressor from the end of the wire that normally connects to the stock horn. Had to put a 20A fuse in place of the 10A under the hood, but for something used briefly like that it's not going to fry any wires.

Brent
Suggestions/comments about your air horn(s). I'd love to put some on my 2000 Xterra and would appreciate some info re. installation.
amirchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Re: New here, can you help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirchel
Suggestions/comments about your air horn(s). I'd love to put some on my 2000 Xterra and would appreciate some info re. installation.
I'm pretty sure there is a thread in here with pictures and instructions.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: New here, can you help me out?

I had just posted pics of the horn button, not the rest:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=107534

Install is just a matter of locating the horns and compressor and running a wire from the old horn wire to the compressor, plus upgrading the fuse.
It was later that I went with the above separate circuit w/ button, relay, and fuse.

Schlud, methinks this belongs in the mods/interior or radios/GPS section...

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #11
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Re: New here, can you help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadX

Schlud, methinks this belongs in the mods/interior or radios/GPS section...

Brent
Nah. That's too ugly to be called a mod.