Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Stratus
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
thestugots
AF Newbie

engine oil light comming on

I have a 1998 2.5 v-6 autostick. when I am at a light stopped the engine rpm's drop from around 700 to 500 then my oil light comes on. It will stay on until I either do 2 things. 1st pop the car into nuteral. 2nd drive off. It only does this when the car has been running a while to. Has anyone else experianced this or know anything about it? if you need more info let me know.
Thanks for the help
Jay
thestugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
kris
Off playing with fire.

What's your oil level like?
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
thestugots
AF Newbie

Its right where it suppost to be
thestugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
spainter
AF Newbie

I have had the same problem for the past year. I go through periods where I get horrible gas mileage, my engine only revs when I am stopped, etc. I have taken the car to 5 shops with no fix. The oil light goes on, blah blah blah. I am about to sell this piece of sh!t if I can't fix this. Please let me know if there is a solution for this. Oh well, enough venting...
spainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:49 AM   #5
hotdesertwind
AF Newbie

oil light on V-6 Interpid

After driving for about 30 minutes, the oil light flickers when I stop and only then. As soon as I touch the gas, it goes off. The oil pressure has been checked with a mechanical gauge and a new pressure sending unit installed but it still does exactly the same thing. I have read that a slight drop in the idle can cause this to happen. A possible cure for that is to have the throttle body thoroughly cleaned. Anybody else got any ideas??
hotdesertwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #6
LLRonin
AF Newbie

Exclamation oils light fix

I had that problem a few months ago. When I idled the oild light would come on, I got an oil change and it still stood on. So I took it to a friend of mine and the oil switch above the ecxaust manafold was burnt out. Try looking into the switch its not an expensive part.
LLRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 05:31 AM   #7
hotdesertwind
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: oils light fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLRonin
I had that problem a few months ago. When I idled the oild light would come on, I got an oil change and it still stood on. So I took it to a friend of mine and the oil switch above the ecxaust manafold was burnt out. Try looking into the switch its not an expensive part.
II did replace the oil light sending unit but the oil light still came on. So I took the Intrepid to a guy that worked at the Dodge place and has recently gone into business for himself. He said that there is a service bulletin that addresses that problem. He said you also have to put some type of vent when replaces the unit, not a big deal. I'm not sure exactly what he did, but it fixed the problem. The light has not come on for a couple months now. Thanks for responding to my question.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:00 PM   #8
ibiete
AF Newbie

I'm glad to hear there is a fix but I'm confused. Did your mechnic put in the oil swith above the manifold or did he do somethng else?
ibiete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #9
hotdesertwind
AF Newbie

Re: engine oil light comming on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiete
I'm glad to hear there is a fix but I'm confused. Did your mechnic put in the oil swith above the manifold or did he do somethng else?
All I can tell you is that the mechanic told me he replaced the oil light sending unit but that there was a bulletin from Chrysler that required something additional along with that replacement. If you know anyone who works at a Dodge or Chrysler dealership or an independnet mechanic, they may know exactly what is required. All I can say is that whatever they did it worked because the light has never come on again. It was coming on when I would pull up to a stop sign or traffic light.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
ibiete
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. It sounds like exactly the same problem. Did your man say if this was damaging in the meantime? I'll let you know what the bulletin says. Thanks again.
ibiete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:11 AM   #11
sdota
AF Newbie

Exclamation oil light sending unit

I just had my 2001 intrepid serviced for the same thing. I told them that there may be a TSB for it, they couldn't find any such TSB. After driving for 10-15mi's they reproduced the problem and reported it as a "shorted out sending unit". They replaced it and it seems to have fixed the problem.
sdota is offline   Reply With Quote