Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
gtigirl
AF Newbie

Belt Tensioner???

Hi all. I have a few questions that I’m hoping someone out there can help me with. I have a 2001 VW GTI VR6, about 48K miles, and I’ve been his only owner. I recently replaced the starter; it was making horrid noises when starting. When he was at the mechanic he pointed out that the belt tensioner was cracked and needs to be replaced ASAP, which I have an appointment for. What would cause the belt tensioner to crack? I’ve put more money into him than I would like, replaced the engine ignition coil packs when the car was just over 2 yrs old (of course VW told me that my car doesn’t have the brand that are bad and are replacing for free) at the same time I had to replace the ignition wiring and spark plugs. Then there were the problems that VW fixed for free: window dropping into the door and the mass air flow sensor. And like I said above I just replaced the starter and soon the belt tensioner. I take very good care of my car (he’s my baby) and do more then the regular service maintenance. Anyone know of any more known problems I should be expecting? Oh, by the way I have an excellent mechanic, I don’t go to the dealerships b/c they are so untrustworthy.

Thanks for your help.
gtigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

Re: Belt Tensioner???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtigirl
Oh, by the way I have an excellent mechanic, I don’t go to the dealerships b/c they are so untrustworthy.

Thanks for your help.
sorry to hear that, your starter and coil and belt tensioner would all be covered under warranty for free..

10yr 100k mile powertrain warranty 1st owner

5yr 50k bumper to bumper warranty
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI