Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 03:49 PM   #1
1QWK4
AF Newbie

Anyone know if the Eclipse will ever be offered in turbo AWD in the future?
1QWK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 03:52 PM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Haven't heard of this.
But remember somewhere in some Mag that they WILL offer a supercharger sometime.
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 03:48 AM   #3
Dimex
AF Newbie

I thought they already offered it, or at least on the older ones (were they GS-X and GS-T). Do you mean on the new ones?

----------
1 Corinthians 7:14
Dimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 08:55 AM   #4
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Yeah, they'll probably offer a supercharger for the new one. I also remember from somewhere [another mag ] that there will be 2 versions of superchargers- one on V-6 and one one on flat-4. I may be wrong.
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 04:35 PM   #5
kepone
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to kepone Send a message via AIM to kepone
hey, as a DSM fanatic.. i can tell you 2 very cool things about the new eclipse.. but first the bad things..

cons: its not gonna be offered in turbo form in the forseeable future..

pros: the 4g63 from the 2g eclipse drops right into the 3g.. no issues at all besided intercooler location..

and..

the motor from the vr4 ( the tt v6 ) also slides in there.. its a tight fit, and the awd components dont fit, but the motor can be wedged in there.. theres enough room..

so if anyone owns a 3g eclipse, keep that in mind..
Old 02-08-2001, 05:43 PM   #6
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Kepone:
How compliant is the turbo on the 2nd gen with the engine of the 3rd? I mean, would it be a simple conversion, basically a bolt-on, or would you have to seriously retro-fit everything to fit to the new motor?
Old 02-08-2001, 08:03 PM   #7
kepone
AF Newbie

its not to tough of a conversion, but for some reason, not many people have done it yet.. i think they are reluctant to give up their silky v6 for the 4 banger.. id do it in a heartbeat though..

from what i hear, the only issue is mounting the stock intercooler .. its down in the right fenderwell on the 1g and 2g cars and i dont think it fits there in the 3g.. but i hear that if you spring for a FMIC, the intercooler issue is null and void.. other than that, i think its just all about a motor mount swap and some ecu work.. nothing to difficult..
Old 02-08-2001, 10:41 PM   #8
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I mean, swapping the turbo from a 2nd gen and putting it onto a third gen...not the entire engine. Isn't there a 4-cyl model?
Old 02-09-2001, 12:00 AM   #9
kepone
AF Newbie

yeah, theres a 4 cyl model.. but i dunno which engine it is.. but basically, thats just installing a turbo kit..

from my experience with the new 4 cyl though, its really weak and not very potent feeling.. i wouldnt even bother modding it.. besides, converting a NA engine to turbo ends up costing more than just buying the whole turbo engine to begin with..you could probably buy a complete 4g63 with turbo for 4500 i think, but it would cost in the 5k range to put a turbo kit on a NA 4 cyl.. you gotta consider.. you have to buy the turbo, get a downpipe and exhaust manifold fabricated, ecu work or engine management, intercooler, BOV, possibly a wastegate ( if the turbo you're using doesnt have an internal wastegate ).. and a lot more.. perhaps rings, pistons and rods if the stock engine isnt strong enough..
Old 02-14-2001, 08:55 PM   #10
mbrady
AF Newbie

The four-cylinder option in the 3rd generation Eclipse is the 4G64. The 4G64 is the non-turbo version of the motor in the normally-aspirated 1G & 2G DSMs as well as the Galant. I would imagine that a turbo kit from an aftermarket company (GReddy, HKS, etc.) would be able to be modified and retrofitted into the 3rd generation. Currently there are plenty of performance parts available for the 4G64 other than forced-induction. These parts include cams, underdrive pulleys, cold-air induction, headers, etc. However, I would rather purchase a '97-'99 Eclipse GSX/GS-T and use the other 5K for an upgraded intercooler, intake, cat-back exhaust, ported exhaust manifold, ported O2 housing, 16G turbo, and boost controller
along with some suspension bolt-ons. That way you could run 12s and pull around 1.0Gs worth of lateral acceleration.
Old 08-07-2001, 05:34 PM   #11
Raddog
AF Newbie

Currently there are turbo's available for the 4 and 6 cyclinder models, but they have mixed results being so early in the development stage. Also, MPH Unlimited is almost completed with their supercharger for the V6 engine as well.

Some club members are turbo'd and squeezing 75+ shot of NO2 as well achieving in the mid 300 HP range.

The torque is not bad in the V6 model which offers 200 HP and 200 foot pounds of torque. I had also heard that Mits will be offering a factory Supercharger in 2003/2004. We'll have to wait and see.:alien:
Raddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 08:59 AM   #12
tearitupsports
AF Newbie

The 2G 4G63 engine will NOT work in a 3G eclipse.
The main reason is that they are on opposite sides of the engine compartment and the transmissions are backward as well!
The only swap that will work is the EVO IV-VI engine will bolt into the 3G 4-cyl models. The EVO engines are on the passanger side of the car. All the US spec 4G63 engines were on the drivers side.

As mentioned above, there are aftermarket turbo's available for both the 4 and 6 cyl engines. The results vary, since a few putting them in, don't know much about turbo's in the first place.

tearitupsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 04:32 PM   #13
Taylor SPL
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Taylor SPL Send a message via Yahoo to Taylor SPL
First off I highly doubt that the 4g63 will go right in actually I'm pretty sure it would cost more than it would be worth to get it in there, same with the VR4 motor. Next http://www.ddynopower.com makes a turbo kit for the 4cyl and 6 cyl 3g eclipse get it if you have one and find the replacment for displacement.
Taylor SPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 09:29 AM   #14
150mph
AF Newbie

Actually I dont think that mitsu will make a blown eclipse for the 3g. They are gonna keep it NA. But in the 2003 model they might be offering a GTR model with 230-250hp. The front and rear bumpers will be redisigned and look more like a 3000gt. This car was spotted at the eclipse plant a few weeks ago. I cant wait I'm actually gonna trade my 2000 in for the new one.
150mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:19 AM   #15
FCI Performance
AF Newbie

The 2g engine will not drop into a 3g. This has been discussed in great detail over an neweclipse.org. Do a search if you want more info, but the gist of it is that the engines mount opposite of each other and there is not way to hook up the drive train. Sure anything is possible wih money but you could spend that money installing a turbo. MPH unlimited has a 4cyl kit out already and is working on a supercharger and twin turbo kit for the v6.
FCI Performance is offline   Reply With Quote