Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
04sebring
AF Newbie

Is a 04 base Sebring a good car to mod?

I have been wanting to mod more car since the day I got it, it was a cheep car with a 4cyd 2.4L engine, pretty shitty. I hear that they have a lot of engine issues with this model but on the up side it has no issues with staying clean, from what I been looking around at.

My friend says a chip, exhaust and maybe nos is all I could do, but I beg to differ.

Sparks, carb, FAN even? But I don't know, what would more experienced moders on this site due to an 04 sebring with 10 grand? and don't say "trade in the car!" I feel Sasha (My sebring... YEAH I NAME HER, SO WHAT!?) is a good mod car, with it's curb weight being only 3,400lbs with a large amount of extra space in the engine cavity. FWD is my only problem as I like drag cars but I'll live. I feel this car is an underestimate for modding. Maybe as good a mod car as a civic Si? Hmmmm?

So all in all, If YOU had a 04' sebring and 10k to mod it with what parts would you put in it? (Keep it legal I still want to get around in her.) P.S. I'm not looking for a shit sounding car, I want one that will beat most of anything that pulls beside me and sound almost like a muscle car.
04sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: Is a 04 base Sebring a good car to mod?

Good luck. 10k isn't much to work with for your goals, especially if you can't do your own work.

The coupe chassis shares parts with the Eclipse, but the sedan is different. I highly recommend checking out the rear strut mounts and ball joints if you have a sedan. They're prone to failure.

Research and see what can be done with the 2.4. It came in alot of stuff, so I'm sure someone has at least tried to turbo it or something. "Sparks" and a chip won't get you much, and if it has a carb then you may have gotten ripped off. That car should already have an electric fan.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Is a 04 base Sebring a good car to mod?

Your best bet may be to transplant the powertrain from a Neon SRT-4 in to it. I'm not sure how much of the $10k that would absorb, but it should be a pretty straightforward transplant since I think the 2.4L was also in the Neon. There are quite a few mods available for the SRT-4 turbo engine, and quite an enthusiast base as well to help you with bang for the buck..

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical