Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
smalltownrp830
AF Newbie

Thumbs down 1990 tc wont start when cold and whistles when reved

i got a 90 tc with about 108000 miles on it. i started having a promblem with it about 8 months ago. damn car. i was driving it on the hughway and it startes to stall. i had to start leaving my foot on the pedal when i would stop at the light. so i decided i would just buy a obd 1 so wouldn't have to mess with it in trouble shooting. found out that it just stopped hissing when i put the car ignition on so i decided to go ahead and buy a new fuel pump. well that was one of the many. the car started to hiss again and i thouht i was set. was i wrong. it still didn't want to turn on. so i put the obd reader to it and said the map sensor was out. so i went to go get one. the trouble code cleared the next time i started the test and it didnt pik up that trouble code any more. but still no luck .then it gave me the code for the temp sensor.i forgot what its called. it think the ect sensor. so i went and got another one. tried to start it and still nothing.all it did was turn. checked the spark and its getting gas. but i think its not getting enough gas to start. i decide to put some gas in the intake and try to start it. it started right up for a while (about 15-20 sec)and then died again. tried to start it again and nothing. put more gas in the intake and did it again. i told my lil bro to keep adding some gas with a spray bottle into the intake and it did fine. once th e engine was hot. it started up like nothing. after a while (when the motor got cold again)i tried to crank it and it would just turn. i ran the obd again and it passed the engine off key on test. and when itry to do the key on engine on test(with the rigged gas pump in the intake with a spray bottle)it says it has an open circuit to the fuel pump.(something like that) well now the car is just parked on the side of the house collecting dust for a couple of months. and i really want to get it to drive in it again. i had just gotten it painted and had some 20" rims on it too. the chrome rocker panels, a nice flying angel hood ornament. it was pimped. but since then i took ff the rims and the hood ornament and it looks like crap. if any one and i mean any one have any idea what is wrong with it please let me know.
smalltownrp830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
smalltownrp830
AF Newbie

i forgot to say that it whistle when i rev it. its has been doing that for a good while but i think its just the belts. but it only does it when i reve it.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1990 tc wont start when cold and whistles when reved

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownrp830
i got a 90 tc with about 108000 miles on it. i started having a promblem with it about 8 months ago. damn car. i was driving it on the hughway and it startes to stall. i had to start leaving my foot on the pedal when i would stop at the light. so i decided i would just buy a obd 1 so wouldn't have to mess with it in trouble shooting. found out that it just stopped hissing when i put the car ignition on so i decided to go ahead and buy a new fuel pump. well that was one of the many. the car started to hiss again and i thouht i was set. was i wrong. it still didn't want to turn on. so i put the obd reader to it and said the map sensor was out. so i went to go get one. the trouble code cleared the next time i started the test and it didnt pik up that trouble code any more. but still no luck .then it gave me the code for the temp sensor.i forgot what its called. it think the ect sensor. so i went and got another one. tried to start it and still nothing.all it did was turn. checked the spark and its getting gas. but i think its not getting enough gas to start. i decide to put some gas in the intake and try to start it. it started right up for a while (about 15-20 sec)and then died again. tried to start it again and nothing. put more gas in the intake and did it again. i told my lil bro to keep adding some gas with a spray bottle into the intake and it did fine. once th e engine was hot. it started up like nothing. after a while (when the motor got cold again)i tried to crank it and it would just turn. i ran the obd again and it passed the engine off key on test. and when itry to do the key on engine on test(with the rigged gas pump in the intake with a spray bottle)it says it has an open circuit to the fuel pump.(something like that) well now the car is just parked on the side of the house collecting dust for a couple of months. and i really want to get it to drive in it again. i had just gotten it painted and had some 20" rims on it too. the chrome rocker panels, a nice flying angel hood ornament. it was pimped. but since then i took ff the rims and the hood ornament and it looks like crap. if any one and i mean any one have any idea what is wrong with it please let me know.
sounds like the fuel pump u put in isn't holding pressure in the lines. that could be one of the reasons that you are having problems with the starting. the fuel pump should be a factory ford pump and not an aftermarket. for some reason the aftermarket pumps do not cooperate correctly with any ford products. trust me, i learned the hard way with my town car and my 92 crown vic. another problem could be because your injectors are shot. i had a problem with what your talking about a 90 ford mustang with a 5.0 motor in it. once i sprayed enough starting fluid and gas into the intake it finally stayed running. check your fuel filter and your air filter too. your fuel filter might be getting clogged. but i suggest checking your injectors sounds like thats your problem. find the shrader valve ( i dont know how to spell it) and when cranking, poke at it with a screw driver or something and see if gas squirts out strong. if it doesn't, the motor isnt getting gas (duh). check your fuel filter then. the whistle noise you hear is a vaccum leak somewhere, may b your EGR valve. also, is the engine getting a spark from the distributor to the spark plugs? give me some more insight on your problem
Old 07-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
smalltownrp830
AF Newbie

well the fuel filter is brand spanking new. that was the first thing i had changed on it. as for the spark, everything is fine for that. i get spark everywhere. the fuel pump that i got was an after market from auto zone. but i dont think they would take it back anyway due to the fact it got gas going through it already (100 bucks down the drain)...but not sure though. do you think that the fuel pump might be getting air if not sealed right to the tank. so it's getting air from the outside and not sucking up the gas(just a thought) because i know it's not mounted right. but i would think it should still suck it up. i dont know im to the point were im thinking about converting it to carb.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
Bannedonce
Banned

Anything from air filter, to plugs and wires being wrong. Check all the simple stuff, and could you be more specific on the whistling part?
Bannedonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownrp830
well the fuel filter is brand spanking new. that was the first thing i had changed on it. as for the spark, everything is fine for that. i get spark everywhere. the fuel pump that i got was an after market from auto zone. but i dont think they would take it back anyway due to the fact it got gas going through it already (100 bucks down the drain)...but not sure though. do you think that the fuel pump might be getting air if not sealed right to the tank. so it's getting air from the outside and not sucking up the gas(just a thought) because i know it's not mounted right. but i would think it should still suck it up. i dont know im to the point were im thinking about converting it to carb.
try this. the next time the car wont start, crawl under the back and bang the gas tank with like a large wrench, rachet, or rubber mallet and see if the car starts (do this GENTLY). you usually do this with a bad fuel pump but i'm just curious to see if the car starts quicker i. my bet is the fuel rails arent holding the fuel due to lack of pressure from the fuel pump. however, im not ruling out the possibility that something is the matter with your injectos. but we won't worry about them right now. when you do get the car started, shut if off and then start it right back up and time how long it cranks before the car starts. then, shut it off and wait about 3-5 minutes then try to start it again and again, time how long it takes to start the car. see if there is a difference in the time is takes to eventually start the car. lets see what happens from there...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car