Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Scion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 12:50 PM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Arrow The Scion Debut

Article written by Bryce Bernard [aerovec.com].
--------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps the biggest news since Lexus, Toyota announced last week, at the New York International Auto Show, the coming of its newest brand creation; Scion. No, it’s not a new sci-fi character for Star Wars. Its Toyota’s new product line aimed at those of us who are turning in their tighty-whiteys for boxers.

Scion is the second phase of a master plan to tackle the youth market, which Toyota hasn’t seen much of in recent years. Its first phase, code-named Genesis, was responsible for a new wave of youth oriented vehicles such as the Celica and Echo. Did it help? You bet it did. The average age of the Celica buyer was reduced to a mere 35 years old. Not bad considering it was once a few years over the hill. The third and final phase is the manufacturing of the Scion product line.

Two Scion vehicles were on display at the New York auto show. The very Japanese designed bbX (Black Box Concept) will be one of two vehicles available for our garages in June of 03’. The bbX first made its debut at the Detroit Auto show as a Toyota; little did we know it was a testing ground for Scion’s new brew.

New for the New York auto show, was the ccX, or Concept Coupe Crossover. This 2dr hatch featured a two-panel glass sunroof that exposed nearly the entire roof of the car when opened. If that isn’t enough, you can retract the rear vertical panel into the bumper to create an open air cargo bed. The probability of seeing this feature on the production model is slim however. It’s too bad because a couple of mountain bikes in the back seemed a good fit.

Design is well executed. The ccX sets itself apart from Toyota and Lexus in its own fashion. Sweeping impressions along the side match that of the sloping roofline with a complimentary symbiance. Design strength seems focused over the front wheels, then looses interest as it flows to the back. Large vertical taillights along the C pillars let the world know when the ccX wants to stop. 18” 5-star split alloy wheels wrapped in 225/45/R18 rubber finalize the package.

Feeling blue? If not, step inside the ccX and you will. The interior makes it seem as if you’re driving an iMac. Aluminum accents throw that performance feel at you. Carpet flooring is a thing of the past. Only a waterproof material composed of metals and rubber stand between you and a quick cleaning job. Four drain plugs make it that much simpler.

The ccX carries with it a 2.4-liter Four-Cylinder, 16-Valve, DOHC. The number of ponies is being held in the stable for now, but be assured the 2.4 won’t underpower the 2,810lb ccX. Fumes are expelled via a handsome inset dual exhaust. Only a four-speed automatic ECT transmission is available for both the ccX and bbX. I don’t know about you, but I like my hot dog with a manual.

All Scion vehicles will be sold as fully equipped mono-spec models. But fear not. As with youth trends, Scion vehicles can be modified with your own personal touches. After all, personality is key to the Scion lifestyle.

How much you ask? Scion assures us that both the bbX and ccX can be had for “considerably less than $18,000.”

Happy driving.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:06 PM   #2
Tom_S8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tom_S8
Hmm I've never seen that before ... but i'm afraid this would ruin toyota... if those are the same pepole who made :apuke: echo and made a famous sports car with many rally traditions a POS fwd car then i don't think they'll last long... anyway , only time will tell...
Tom_S8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:30 PM   #3
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

Toyota has decided to equip America's youth with more bloated semi-SUVs. After all, they're cool, aren't they? Yeah, best idea ever: give the kids vehicles that are too big for them to handle, since their parents have prepared them so poorly and left them even more inept than the previous generation at driving. At least it's not too heavy, so stopping it should be easier. If it transcends the SUV's typical low-tech trappings and gas-guzzling appetite, I might not be so annoyed. But I'm warning you, Toyota, you're just asking to be put right next to Honda on my list. God help us all. :smoker2:

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Holyterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:59 PM   #4
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
The concept is good, but the execution is flawed. I have little doubt that they will sell...just not to the right people. Why can't a maker be brave these days and come out with a low, sleek, manual tranny compact for the youth instead of all these tall skinny automatic cars that are better for old people that can't duck into low cars?

Old 05-14-2002, 07:56 PM   #5
ZondaFreak02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ZondaFreak02
i think that toyota is taking a good bet that they will sell... the bbx is already on sale in Japan and it has revolutionized(?) the market there. EVeryone likes it.

i think scion will do good in the us .. specially with the import racing scene so huge

eat...sleep...race...TOYOTA

SAAB...worlds safest..worlds koolest
ZondaFreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:31 AM   #6
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Euro19 Send a message via AIM to Euro19 Send a message via Yahoo to Euro19
That awfall thing looks like my toaster!!
And Japan is a complete diferent car market than North America, in Japan the top selling vehicles are those tiny minicars with less than 1.0 liters and 50HP, so lets obvious that kind of comparatives please.
cheers :alien2:

why is everybody talking all this stuff about me, why don´t just they let me live?

- Daewoo

The Best SUV it´s korean!

Euro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 04:07 PM   #7
Sadiztik
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Sadiztik
I honestly think it will be popular like APC is Popular

only teens and people with no taste will like them, unless they come out with something along the lines of the Mark II or the Supra TT I will not take them seriously
Sadiztik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:43 AM   #8
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Euro19 Send a message via AIM to Euro19 Send a message via Yahoo to Euro19
Quote:
Originally posted by Sadiztik
I honestly think it will be popular like APC is Popular

only teens and people with no taste will like them, unless they come out with something along the lines of the Mark II or the Supra TT I will not take them seriously
What´s APC??

Have you noticed the front looks like the one in the Echo? :aug2:

why is everybody talking all this stuff about me, why don´t just they let me live?

- Daewoo

The Best SUV it´s korean!

Euro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 01:32 AM   #9
|Banchi1O5|
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to |Banchi1O5| Send a message via Yahoo to |Banchi1O5|
looks like an even more screwed up matrix

american products company?
Old 06-17-2002, 01:42 PM   #10
ZondaFreak02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ZondaFreak02
whatss wrong w/the matrix

eat...sleep...race...TOYOTA

SAAB...worlds safest..worlds koolest
ZondaFreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 09:28 AM   #11
|Banchi1O5|
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to |Banchi1O5| Send a message via Yahoo to |Banchi1O5|
i think its an alright car - just overcladded and oversized and it looks like scion is takin all of the bad features and making them worse
Old 07-02-2002, 09:05 PM   #12
ArtemisEntreriR34
AF Enthusiast

Chick car

This looks like a pure 16-year old chick car, I wouldn't touch this thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skyline8.jpg (49.4 KB, 422 views)

Hamann 2001 E46 M3 Laguna Seca 2
357.9 kw / 479.9 bhp @ 5400 rpm
312 kph / 193.9 mph
0-60 : 4.2 seconds
Would I kill a man for it? You know it.
ArtemisEntreriR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 03:07 AM   #13
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
My message to Toyota- think harder
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote