Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
jwb187
AF Newbie

Dual Climate Control...one side won't heat

I have a 2002 Jeep GC overland, the passenger side of the dual climate has quit heating, still blows on all the different settings, upper, lower, defrost, etc..Do I have a bad module or is there an easier fix????Thanks, jwb187
jwb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
xj31
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dual Climate Control...one side won't heat

Your jeep most likely has broken blend doors in the heater case.It is quite common .Basically,the whole dash and the hvac housing needs to come out.
xj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
jwb187
AF Newbie

Are you telling me that although all the air is coming from all the right places when selected by the control knob that there is a door somewhere that controls the heat? Should I try changing the control module first to see if that is the problem....I hear the blend door process is a bugger of a repair!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
xj31
AF Enthusiast

Trust me,its probably not the control head.I am a tech at a Jeep dealer,I see this every day.You can get codes out of the system.This is straight out of the manual.
RETRIEVING FAULT CODES
To begin the fault code tests, depress the A/C and Recirc buttons at the same time and rotate the left temperature control knob clockwise (CW) one detent, then release the push-button.
If there are no fault codes, the “00” display value will remain in the VF window. Should there be any codes, each will be displayed for one second in ascending numerical sequence (note: no effort is made to display faults in the order they occurred). The left side set temperature display will be blanked and the right side set temperature display will indicate current and historical codes (8 historical max) presently active. Once all codes have been displayed, the system will repeat the fault code numbers. This will continue until the left side set temperature control is moved at least one detent position in either direction, by pressing both the A/C and Recirc buttons at the same time, or the ignition is turned off. Record all of the fault codes, then see the Current and Historical Fault Code charts for the descriptions.

I would bet you come up with a 56.That is passenger blend door travel too large.Ther might be other codes also,if you post those,I can try to help you out.
I personally think that the doors are pretty easy,but like I said I see this every day.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
jwb187
AF Newbie

I did what you said xj31 and you were correct....I got codes 52 and 56 which indicate problems with the passenger or right side doors...where do I go from here????
Old 02-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
xj31
AF Enthusiast

Do you have any type of warranty?The hvac housing has to come out.I don't know your level of mechanical skill,so I can't tell you what to do.I have heard of some people making a weekend project out of it.I personally think it is a simple job,but this is what I do for a living.The part is about $75,another $40 or so if you replace the recirc door,they break a lot also.At the shop I work at we charge around $700 for the whole job.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
jwb187
AF Newbie

Thanks for your help xj31, sounds like you know what you're talking about. I don't have any type of extended warranty so I guess I'll just have to eat the repair cost.....I have kind of jury rigged the heat at present by piping heat from the left side to the right and blocking the right side air flow....works pretty good for now. The heated seats help out a lot....sounds like come warmer weather a trade might be in the offing!!!! I appreciate your help
Old 02-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
xj31
AF Enthusiast

Gotta love the heated seats.Good luck with it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
kplusten
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Dual Climate Control...one side won't heat

Am hoping xj31 can tell me what a code 16 is. I have AC air coming out of left and center vents, full hot air coming out of two passenger vents. This is the last straw for this car...problem after problem on 99 JGC.
kplusten is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8