Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Elise/Elise Tuning
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Macker-jo
AF Newbie

Red face Lotus Elise vs AMERICAN MUSCLE cars etc etc

I've recently read a few forums questioning which is quicker.. a Dodge Viper or Lotus Elise? Perhps a Ford mustang Cobra or a Lotus Elise? And a comment which said " the lotus only has a 1. something litre engine, compared to the Vipers 8.0 litre 550bhp!" I even cast my eyes upon what can only be described as a stupid comment about the Lotus Elise having "a really slow lap time".

When are people going to learn? (Sigh!) You just don't get it...do you?

Having lived in the United States for three years and having seen what there is to offer over there in terms of cars, and driven most including Corvettes, Mustang Cobra's I feel I can comment from experience.

I now live back in the UK, born and bread by the way, and own a 2004 Lotus Elise......The land where a plump overweight old man, retired from Formula 1 can try his hand at Indy car to pass the time and still manage to win with ease?!! ....The place where Colin Chapman founded Lotus Cars.

So I ask you, where would we be without Lotus today? Having invented downforce, 'ground effect', the first manufacturer to place engine in the middle of the car for perfect weight distribution, the floating chassis....the list goes on, we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are today with regard to cars that perform on and off the track.

When Lotus WON their first Formula One championship, competeing against Porsche's with a monstrous 450bhp at the time, the championship winning Lotus car had a mere 100bhp! Living by the same principles today, we have the Elise.

With UNRIVALLED cornering ability, and electric acceleration, over the last four months I have seen BMW M3's and 2004 Subaru Impreza WR1's disappear in my rear view mirror....and anything from the other side of the pond would suffer the same fate. I have even seen Ferrari 360 Modena drivers throw their helmets at the ground in disgust after many a track day, at the thought of being lapped by a four cylinder 1.8 litre Elise. And I haven't even touched on the Lotus Exige yet!

Another comment passed by a gentleman reads "There are only straight roads in a 'grid' like system where I live with no bends or 'twisties' like in Europe. If I was revving my engine at the traffic lights, with my girlfriend in the passenger seat with a Lotus Eise next to me, what is it going to do then?" Well, there is only one answer...and that, my friend, is embarress you!

Furthermore, it is undoubtedley one of the best looking cars on the road today, in any continent.

If you supercharge a block of flats, are you telling me that they're going to be quick off the mark or round the corners!

Keep dreamin boys!
Macker-jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Dudis Dinkle
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Dudis Dinkle
I don't know if you have seen the videos, but there are about 3 in circulation that I know about that feature and Elise either tearing the doors off of or at least keeping up with much higher powered cars...and I don't mean Dodge Vipers or Mustangs. I am talking about ferrari f-40's, 360s, Prosche 911 Gt2's, and I believe a Corvette C-5 in race trim.

Honestly... If you drag race a Viper and an Elise, the Viper will win .....big deal.

Most people on this forum, a forum about a car manufacturer that has built it's reputation on legendery handling and more than efficient power to weight ratios, will understand that driving a car does not simply mean mashing the accelerator to the floor and holding the wheel straight.

At any rate there are plenty of Forums for people who like that type autosport. Some keywords to look up might be "Nascar", "Top Fuel" , and "solid rear axle" ... because the viper sure has one, and that makes it a heck handful to "drive"

I am not saying that the Elise is the fastest thing on the planet, but it is one of the most well planted, and some of the people professing that the Elise lap times are "slow" may want to seek out these videos I speak of. I believe one was on the Nurburgring "Nordschleife" which is about 14 miles of winding forest road. Actually alot of fun to watch. (yes... they have some right turns)
Old 01-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
trans-am-kid
AF Newbie

Re: Lotus Elise vs AMERICAN MUSCLE cars etc etc

I like lotus, but lotus isnt as good as the chrysler me4. The me4 could do 210 in fifth gear, out of seven. No offense to anyone, but can european car beat the "crapy-american" car?
trans-am-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Dudis Dinkle
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Dudis Dinkle
Re: Re: Lotus Elise vs AMERICAN MUSCLE cars etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans-am-kid
I like lotus, but lotus isnt as good as the chrysler me4. The me4 could do 210 in fifth gear, out of seven. No offense to anyone, but can european car beat the "crapy-american" car?
No offense taken, but If you are defining an automobile's worth simply by it's top speed in a giving gear then I do believe you've missed the points made here. Simply stating that "lotus isn't as good as the chrysler me4" leaves me wanting some additonal commentary to back up your claim.

I will assume you are talking about the elise specifically, not just any lotus that may have been built in the past....or may perhaps be built in the future .....such as.....the Chrysler me4. You are correct, the elise is has nowhere near the target performance specs of this car, but until the car actually exists, there is no use really arguing about it.

There is indeed a prototype of the Me4 that shows a great deal of promise for being an amazing car if it ever reaches production. You can read about it here ...

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.js...10130&tstart=0

In conclusion, I believe that although Mackor-Jo may have been a little brusque in his rant, he does make some very good points.
I am an American myself in fact, I live in LA. Perhaps the German heritage I have leads me to a more European view of what a car should be, but I do believe a good car should be able to take corners with reasonable grace, and be built with a bit of refinement. In the past, American cars have had great shortcomings in both of these areas.

Perhaps the Me4 could help change this, but you can't really call it a "crapy-american" car either. You would have to call it a "crappy American/German" car, because that is what it would be. Remember, it is half Mercedes.

B.T.W. I think the new Ford GT has broken the the "unrefined-ungraceful" mold and has shown itself to be a fatastic all-around exotic.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
GTO4Life
AF Enthusiast

Yeah... Plus, you cant really compare the Me4 against the lotus... One is an exotic, and one is a true sports car. Not to mention the price differences that will be shown if the chrysler is released. And last but not least- Top Speed Means NOTHING... Because in a track, you put a 1/4 mile car against a lotus, and if the muscle car cant handle the turns good, the Elise would close the gap in between each turn, eventually passing the car with the higher top speed.

Cars have steering wheels... Use them.
GTO4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Musielewicz
AF Newbie

Re: Lotus Elise vs AMERICAN MUSCLE cars etc etc

The elise is the purest sports car out there. It simply is amazing anyway you put it.
Musielewicz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Elise/Elise Tuning