Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
RonMur
AF Newbie

Question Lighting gremlins

Got 2 different problems with my '84 Celica GT.

1) The low-beam headlights don't work, but the hi-beams do. It's not the bulbs (they have occassionally worked, but not for any length of time). It's not in the combination switch. I have changed the switch out with the same results. The fuses for hi-beam/low-beam are not blown. Could the headlight relay cause this split function? I would think if the relay was bad, hi-beam wouldn't work either.

2) At night, my car turns into a X-mas tree. With the light switch in the OFF position, when I step on the brake pedal, not only do the brake lights come on, but so do the tag lights, the side markers (front and rear), the front lights beside the headlights, AND the interior DASH lights!! And the brake lights are very dim. There's not much difference between the brake and taillight brighness. What could cause all of these circuits to light up from the brake pedal??
RonMur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
RonMur
AF Newbie

Re: Lighting gremlins

I've lived with the problems. Now they're worse. Got pulled over last night. No brake lights. With the headlight circuit off, during the day, the brake lights light up. But at night with the lights on, the brake lights do not get any brighter than the taillights.

Any idea where I should start?? Is there anything in particular that might cause these problems??
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
RonMur
AF Newbie

Re: Lighting gremlins

Bad tail light bulb. Was still illuminating and blinking when supposed to, but wasn't as bright as the other bulbs. No more christmas tree.

Headlights are a different animal. It's in the combo switch but you can't find too many for an '84 around.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica