Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
trebor1231calla
AF Newbie

46RE transmission shift problems

Hello all, I have a 96 ram 1500 with a 46re trans. I was accelerating from a stop going up hill when I heard clunk/pop from the trans and I lost all forward motion. I rolled back down the hill to get out of the way, when the road leveled out I put it in reverse and that worked. I then tried D and just engine revieing, so I tried 2 and same thing engine revieing, I put it in 1 and started moving forward. I could then move selector into 2 and it would shift into 2nd, and then move it into D and it would shift into 3 n 4 as normal but wouldn't down shift. to slow down i would have to slow to a speed good for 1st gear and move the selector into 1. by the time I got it home no more shifting at all and had to get the right rpm to get it in 1st. Took trans out and apart and found the reverse drum was broke but nothing unusual in the fluid, just normal flake from clutch plates. Got new drum and rebuild kit and put it all back together and filled with 9.5 qts of ATF+4, now I still have shift issues. On flat ground with no peddle it will shift into 2nd but going up hill only 1st, I replaced output shaft speed senser with electrical connector (old connector had exposed wire and broke clip) and didn't change. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
trebor1231calla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:19 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 46RE transmission shift problems

I'm not an auto trans expert in the least, but the ability to drive while manually shifting sounds just like what I experienced in the FWD trans in my 07 Grand Prix years back. That failure was a broken forward band, which requires a complete trans tear down to replace.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #3
trebor1231calla
AF Newbie

Re: 46RE transmission shift problems

So, I feel kinda dumb here. I just needed to adjust the TV cable. Now I just need to fix the leak from the input shaft seal or the pump gasket that started leaking. If it's not one thing it's another.
trebor1231calla is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10