Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
bayview
AF Newbie

head liner problem

2000 grnd am gt sunroof bracket that holds dome, sunroof switch and sunroof visor broke off. i had to tear out fabric headliner to repair. cannot remove the headliner board, it feels like it is glued to the roof?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: head liner problem

NO, It comes down as one piece....you remove the "A" pillar plastic trims....the "B" pillar plastic trims....remove the overhead sun visors.....remove the trim from the edge of the sun roof window headliner(edging around the hole).....remove switch, and then it should come down in the front for access....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
bayview (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
bayview
AF Newbie

after removing all trim I was able to pull off fabric, I was then able to remove the large bracket that holds the sunroof visor. there were only three mountings near the switch remaining, 5 of the plastic mountings had broken. this bracket also has the domelight att. when it fell it wrecked the liner. the headliner board itself was glued to pieces of what looks like styrofoam which are glued to the body (roof) I used a 1" putty knife to seperate the board from the roof. there are also four sheetmetal screws under the fabric the hold the headliner board to the body acroos the front of board and across the back of the board. I did the sunroof visor and it looks okay, remounted the bracket and today I will try to finish. the only problem I may encounter would be tucking the edges with the headliner board being attached to the roof with the screws at the front an back.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
bayview
AF Newbie

ok, the sunroof maybe aftermarket but i dont think so because it had what appears to be a factory switch- open/ close/ air, plus a @acsr button. there was no moulding around the opening for the sunroof. a little tricky getting the corners right. overall the finished product looks great. thanks to all the help/ tips I gleaned off this site ..............thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Glad u got this figured out!

Ive had problems with my dome light bracket before. Though i didnt drop the whole headliner. I just opened it around the sun roof opening after i removed the gasket around the hole.

I have been wanting to remove my SE's to recover it with some fake leathery stuff but just never got to it. I think its the only thing in my 99 SE that has not be replaced/modified. lol

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM