Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
rjmc79
AF Newbie

Question break peddle noisy

ok, i have a 2002 malibu, 3.1, when i push on the break peddle you can hear this clicking sound, almost like its coming from the caliper, so yah, you can hear it inside the car and outside but like i said, seems as its coming right from the wheel itself,. It also makes the clicking noise when moving too, but either or, it doesnt make the noise every single time, and sometimes it almost sounds like something cracking when you push the peddle all the way down to the floor, if anyone knows what it might be, please let me know, thanks. RJ
rjmc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
toddman67
AF Regular

Re: break peddle noisy

Check and see if the lug nuts are tight on the wheel. If seen this symtom on vehicles equipped with aluminum wheels before. If this is not the case, pull the wheel and check for worn or broken pads, binding caliper or wasted rotor.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Carsrcool100
AF Regular

I agree with toddman
Carsrcool100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
rjmc79
AF Newbie

are you sure that stuff could cause the clicking im refering too, its wierd noise, it happens only when i push on the break peddle, its hard to explain fully, basically, it will click the whole way to the floor if i push all the way down, its a high pitch click noise though, its really hard to explain, and if you push the peddle right it will make single click noise too, the harder i push it the faster the click gets, and stops when i cant push no more, im sorry, bout this 5 year old explanation, but its really hard to explain what i am hearing. just sounds like something thats getting squeezed with alot of pressure, ok, im done, lol, forgive me again, anyway, thanks for the help and anymore help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
toddman67
AF Regular

On these newer cars there is a safety device that will not let the vehicle be placed into gear without depressing the brake pedal first. Perhaps this is the problem with yours. The actuator may be defective?
Another thing to look at might be the bushings on the top of the pedal it self, It may need some lube. Get down near the pedal and try to isolate the noise, It could be the brake switch itself, which may require replacement.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
rjmc79
AF Newbie

actually, i did isolate it, when i have someone push the break and im outside, i can hear it from the wheel, right where the caliper is, then i put me ear down there and it deff sounds like its coming from right around the caliper pad area, but, its weird cause i can hear it in the car down at the peddle like its in the car, but then i realize when listening outside the window it most deff is coming from the wheel. Dont know whats going on, i just had work done to it, i have put about 1200 to 1300 dollars into the car already since we have had it for a few months now, i just actually had the intake gasket fixed last week, got a great deal on it though, only payed 400 for the gasket replacement and 200 for a full tune-up, 610 all together, i was happy, but then the other day i got into the car leaving the store right, put it into reverse, it SLAMS into gear, well thats what i thought, even when i drove every gear it went into it was slamming(jumping) into gear, come to find out the next day it is most likely by 99percent the friggin engine mount, im sick of this damn car man, we love it but its friggin breaking us, grrrr. but anyway, hope that helped by telling you where the noise is mainly at to give you a better idea on whats wrong with it, thanks again for the help, late. RJ
Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
toddman67
AF Regular

Well then, I guess my first post would've been the place to start. Please check the lug nuts and make sure thay are tight. You mentioned that you have had quite a bit of work on the car lately. Were the brakes part of these repairs? If so.. see if they will re-check thier work. If not you should pull the wheel and lube the caliper slides and check for worn pads etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
jack948356
AF Newbie

Sunds like the problem that I had with my 99. Its like a scraping and a clicking all in one. Did not matter if i was moving or not. the vehicle could be out of gear and the whole time the peddal was moving it would make that noise. I pulled the wheel thinking that it was the caliper piston and found out that it was the pad slides and on the back of the pads there was like a shim materil that was bonded to it and i pulled that off and greased the slides and it went away. Hope that helps
jack948356 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu