Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Help needed finding BMW engine blue prints

Hi everyone,

I need your help with finding some documentation. I did find some on google but not the best quality.

I'm looking for engine blue prints, cut always and hi-res pictures for BMW engines, especially for Z3 and Z8 models.
Also documentation about the engine bay will be very welcome.

Any help appreciated.

Ioan
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
360spider
AF Moderator

Re: Help needed finding BMW engine blue prints

What Z3? Z3's had several engines fitted to them over the years. I know because I had two 1:1 Z3's in the past. In US, there were 1.9 liter 4-cyl, then 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 liter Inline-6's, and finally M Roadster and M Coupe had two different 3.2 liter inline-6s (S52 and S54). European engines were different too, starting with 1.8 liter 4-cyl, and various 6-cyl models.

Z8 is easier, they only had one engine for all markets, a 400 HP NA 4.9 liter V8 sourced from BMWs ///M division..... :-)
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
What Z3? Z3's had several engines fitted to them over the years. I know because I had two 1:1 Z3's in the past. In US, there were 1.9 liter 4-cyl, then 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 liter Inline-6's, and finally M Roadster and M Coupe had two different 3.2 liter inline-6s (S52 and S54). European engines were different too, starting with 1.8 liter 4-cyl, and various 6-cyl models.

Z8 is easier, they only had one engine for all markets, a 400 HP NA 4.9 liter V8 sourced from BMWs ///M division..... :-)
You're right about the Z3 there were several engines used in them. I think I'll go with the M Coupe and I'll probably use the engine from a Revell BMW kit, with a few modifications.

The Z8 was only powered by the V8 S62 unit. managed to find some pics of it, but not too much. I got more material on the M60 V8 and some on the M62 V8 but I don't know how much difference there is between these and the S62 as far as size and looks of the engine block is concerned.

I'm gathering info to see what is needed in order to achieve a realistic scratchbuilt engine bay + underside with transmission for these 2 Revell models.

Could you, please, help me out with some pics of the relevant sketches and diagrams from the Z3's owner or technical manual?

Thanks,

Ioan
Old 02-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
mel79
AF Regular

You can find illustrated BMW parts catalogs from http://www.realoem.com/bmw/.

-Mikko
mel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the excellent info, Mikko!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
360spider
AF Moderator

You can source a 6-cylinder engine from Revell 325i kit, they are visually identical for 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, and 3.0 power plants. Only accessories will have to be modified. For M engine (S52) you can use it as a base (different covers, intake, and few other things), but you can't use it for S54, cause it was a completely different engine. 1.9 liter can be sourced from Revell Z1 Roadster kit, as it is almost the same, also used in E36 318i.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
You can source a 6-cylinder engine from Revell 325i kit, they are visually identical for 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, and 3.0 power plants. Only accessories will have to be modified. For M engine (S52) you can use it as a base (different covers, intake, and few other things), but you can't use it for S54, cause it was a completely different engine. 1.9 liter can be sourced from Revell Z1 Roadster kit, as it is almost the same, also used in E36 318i.
Thanks for the additional info.
So far I've got the engine for the M Coupe. The one for the Z8 I will have to make it myself as soon as I find some dimensions to add to the diagrams I found from Mikko's link.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
GTV2000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Hi Alex! Long time no "see".
I am afraid I have to make one slight clarification on the above....
The engine in the Z1 actually depicts the M20 2.5 litre 6cyl. This was used in 2.0,2.3,2.5and 2.8 litre form in the E12-first 5series , E21=first 3series (with different intake manifold), E28-second 5series , E30-second 3series and E34-third five series . This was called BMW's "baby six" and was supposedly initially designed with economy in mind.
The engine in the Revell z1 is not complete , it only builds from the bottom of the engine bay(die cast style) and the engine block and head are just chunks of plastic. If somebody wants to build a detailed M20 he must scratch build the engine block, head and oil pan. The only really usable things on the Revell Z1 engine are the valve cover, the intake manifold and the exhaust manifolds. It is a base though....
Regards, Paul
GTV2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling