Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
jamjohn
AF Newbie

Red face 99 Olds mini van oil mixing with water

Hello i am new to this forum ,but it seems like you all ave some great info on all types of cars and trucks ,so i thought i would throw this out. I just bought a 99 olds silhouette and i think it has a blown headgasket. there is water mixing with the oil. will the intake manifold cause this as well? also i paid only 750.00 for it but it as all the bells and whistles- premier model. it has 196000.00 miles on it . do you all recommend getting a new engine or trying to get this fixed. and if i get it fixed ,what can i look to pay to get the work done for this type of job?
jamjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Olds mini van oil mixing with water

definitely intake gaskets cracked might be a head gasket.but if an intake gasket will it will run ,the temp gauge will go nuts if the reservoir gets empty. exhaust will be hot, usually no noticable miss. head gasket will make it run rough ,miss on the cylinder that it is blown on,most of the time there is a real white smoke from the exhaust . if i was going to have the intake gaskets put in i would go ahead and get the head gaskets put in as your right at the heads. most shops charge $600.00 to $900.00
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
merc81
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Olds mini van oil mixing with water

You have too many miles on that engine to get away with just replacing the intake gaskets. If I owned your van (nice purchase price btw) and the body & inside were good, I'd drop a rebuilt engine in it. In fact, I have done that to my 99 olds premier and I'm very happy with that decision.

Rebuilt engines cost about $2000 and come with a 100k mile warrently. If you need to have the work done by someone else, expect to pay 1000 to 1500 on top of the engine cost.

These are good vans and get great gas mileage. Well worth the effort and cost to put it in good order.

In the worst case assessment, you might have $4k to $5k into the van with rebuilt engine, but you will have 100k warranty and a nice ride for the price.

John
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette