Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SteadFast1
Transmision trobles

my neighbor is offering to give me a gro prism, if i can find a ne transmision fo it. the current one seems to have blown out. the engin has 288k on it. im thinking of replacing both engin & trany. that is the best engin i could put in, and trany. that would be compatable. also it auto and i would like to convert it to manual. thanks, Jake

p. i cant find a auto trany can any of you guys help? zip is 24476.
SteadFast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
bigirb2002
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bigirb2002 Send a message via MSN to bigirb2002 Send a message via Yahoo to bigirb2002
Re: Transmision trobles

4age 20v silvertop ebay has the complete swap for 500-700
bigirb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

thank you for the info. and how do you convert auto to manual trans, yourself with out spending a small fortune? i know it can be done, but as i have heard its diffculd and it costs a lot to have it done for you, is this true? and one last thing where is the best place to find preformence parts for this GEO(Prism). thank you---Jake
Old 01-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

Ok, I went to GOOGLE and did a bit of resurch. What I came up with is a few engin and a few transmission combos: Will they fit or be compatable? What do you guys sudgest?

AE82 trans + 4A-GE motor
3SFE trans + ??? motor
??? trans + 1.8 Liter motor

I think I wouln't be able to do the a/t to m/t conversion, beacuse of my budget. but I am looking for a 4 speed a/t, and a motor that makes at least 130hp respectivly.

I have a restored 1980 GMC that is pushing 320hp and has a T-400, and its my show and have a lot of go truck. But I want a sleeper, so I think
i'll see what I can do on this FREE 1992 Geo Prism.

Im having a very hard time finding the things it needs!

Thanks--Jake
Old 01-09-2006, 01:34 AM   #5
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

20 Valve 4A-GE

black-top 20 Valve 4A-GELU Engine(Japanese-spec) in 1996 Carina GTA special 4A-GE was produced from 1991 through 1998 to replace the 4A-GZE. It was a naturally-aspirated engine with an additional intake valves for each cylinder, making it one of the first production 5-valve engines in history. The engine can be recognized by its silver or black top. This was the last of the 4A family to be produced. Toyota's VVT and VVT-i was used at various times for 165-170 hp (123-127 kW) at 7800 rpm and 120 ft·lbf (162 N·m) at 5600 rpm, quite impressive for a naturally-aspirated 1.6 L engine.

Applications:

1992 Toyota Corolla AE101 (silver-top)
1997 Toyota Corolla AE111 (black-top)

**pulled off http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...20_Valve_4A-GE

would this work?
--Jake
Old 01-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

Ok, for get the last two posts. I have done my home work on this matter and have decided to go with a, 4A-GZE engin and a 4-speed automatic transmission. The only problem is that the engin (4A-GZE) is hard to find and the transmission (4-speed automatic and preffer w/OD) is even harder, and i fear the they are not compatible with each other or my car (1992 Geo Prism).

Does any one know where to find the engin and transmission? For under $1,500?(it may be used condition, about 40-70k miles)

I am waiting for the title right now and my neighbor says he'll try to get it in a week or two,(its being given to me, free) and when I find the engin and transmission, he'll help me install them.

Thank you for your time, I am going to be very busy next week so any help will be very much appercheaded(con't spell)

--Jake

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion