Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
dreaminofz's
AF Newbie

kids these days

Now, let me start off by making it clear I myself am only 17. None the less, i have eyes (i wear glasses but still...good eyes) and i have pretty decent ears (i say decent bcuz due to A.D.D. i have pretty selective hearing) and i have noticed something pretty pathetic about my generation. THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MACHINES! yes, it is a very un fair generalization but frankly, i'm sick of dumb questions. i am sick of odd looks from kids when they see the grease left on my hands because no matter how much gojo i used and no matter how long i scrubbed i couldnt get it off. i am sick of explaining the difference between a spring, a coil over, and a shock. i am sick of explaining why some people use diesel engines and why some use gas. I am sick of explaining the number that designates the different types of gas. i am sick of explaining what a plow is or why we have to flood our rice fields. or why as a rancher my dad needs so many cattle (more cows more money, simple right?) i am sick of kids not realizing there are forms of racing other than drag racing and that some people don't do that on the street...o and explaining why some people do it off the street. now, in defense of my generation i must admit every generation has screwed the world over some how. my parents generation introduced sex and drugs into the mainstream. their parents introduced nuclear weapons and suburban communities. hell both those generations r currently f#@$in our economy. and my great grandparents generation threw their money away and said hello to organized crime (now my school district has decided it's necesary to have it's own police department) but...some how...those generations still knew how to...mend fence...wash dishes by hand...repair a radio...and a car...and didn't need to take classes to know how to provide themselves with first aid. Sorry if i have gotten a little too high on my soap box here but frankly...if i have to explain to sum punk kid clutching a petersons 4 wheel drive magazine what it is exactly that a ring and pinion does...I'm going to go apes$#@
dreaminofz's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
cuda_dude
Will Whore For Car Parts

Send a message via AIM to cuda_dude
Re: kids these days

haha, I do agree with you that as Americans we are becoming "dumbed down" and with all the more technology we get we actually become dumber. It's a sad truth...

1995 Camaro - Z28 - M6 - Hardtop
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Classic
-R.I.P. Andy (Hypsi)-
cuda_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
dreaminofz's
AF Newbie

the number of people who can assemble or disassemble something without studying instructions has decreased tremendously
Old 08-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Genopsyde
The President

Send a message via AIM to Genopsyde Send a message via Yahoo to Genopsyde

those people are in every generation. unfortunately the number increases with each one. i bet you their parents are just as stupid and lazy as they are.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
dreaminofz's
AF Newbie

haha i'll look in to that
Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus

Welcome to real life... It's not fair and your parents are always right.
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofz's
Now, let me start off by making it clear I myself am only 17. None the less, i have eyes (i wear glasses but still...good eyes) and i have pretty decent ears (i say decent bcuz due to A.D.D. i have pretty selective hearing) and i have noticed something pretty pathetic about my generation. THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MACHINES!
Most, not all.

I'm 19, this is my "office". I'm a full-time tech, and completely self-taught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofz's
my parents generation introduced sex and drugs into the mainstream.
And for that, i raise my glass and say thank you.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Morley
AF Enthusiast

At my age, you're all "kids". It isn't that they just "don't know", they don't WANT to know. Its easier and simpler to take it to someone else and pay them to fix it. Now, once they get out in the world and mommy & daddy aren't paying for it, they are going to finally figure out WHY it was important for them to learn these things. 'Cause a minimum wage job ain't gonna pay for a $100/hr mechanic to fix their car so they can keep earning that minimum wage.
Morley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Genopsyde
The President

Send a message via AIM to Genopsyde Send a message via Yahoo to Genopsyde

amen to that
Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
skibum1111
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to skibum1111 Send a message via Yahoo to skibum1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
At my age, you're all "kids". It isn't that they just "don't know", they don't WANT to know. Its easier and simpler to take it to someone else and pay them to fix it. Now, once they get out in the world and mommy & daddy aren't paying for it, they are going to finally figure out WHY it was important for them to learn these things. 'Cause a minimum wage job ain't gonna pay for a $100/hr mechanic to fix their car so they can keep earning that minimum wage.
They have to want to work first. That's the problem around here, none of them really have the desire to work.

Fart cannon muffler: $300

Assorted stickers advertising products you'll never own: $50

Having your @ss handed to you by a brick shaped suv: Priceless.

Yup, I own the suv.
skibum1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

I hate not working, it's so boring having nothing to do all the time. That said, it is nice go to back to having a 2-day weekend after a year of 60-90 hour weeks.

I like my job.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

I agree and disagree... My kids are much more like me than they are like their mom. I'm a product of true "depression era" parents. She is not. Her grandparents and parents had "enough" during the tough times of the mid-30s. My mom told me stories of the "truck farm" her dad had. He was also a WW I vet that got cheated out of his "reward" by the good ol' US Government. Of 3,000 men in his division, 15 survived. They were promised land and cash upon return. The story of the riots that happened in DC in 1920 are horrible, but that's another story...

Anyway, all three of my kids had to earn what they got when growing up. My stepson, no, he had "special" treatment. Today, all three are gainfully employed, two have degrees and the third has two companies constantly bidding for her services (she's a shape grinder in a dental lab). Stepson is a cook in a local bistro. They (son, daughters) are always on the "go", looking for more information, entertainment, satisfaction, etc. Stepson simply sits at home and "expects". Nietcshe said "Your serenity in life is inversley proportionate to your expectations". HHHHMMMMMMMM......

So, not ALL kids are useless. They weren't when I was a kid, either! But they were said to be. I remember my pop (RIP) saying how bad things were getting when Viet Nam was raging and all us "kids" were protesting being sent off to war, but not allowed to vote or drink (18 is draft age, 21 was voting/drinking). He sure changed his mind when "the dust cleared".

But, back to the issue at hand. Blame lazy parents too, that buy their kids EVERYTHING, including "out of trouble". I know several that believe if they "cross the line", a call to mom or dad will get them out of it. Unfortunately, at their age, it's true! What is to become of them when mom and dad are dead and gone? It's GONNA happen, you know.

I DO know a couple of young bucks that remind me of me at their age, but too damn few. I was ALWAYS taking something apart, if for no other reason than to understand how it "works". I was ALWAYS in my car, chasing a race or chasing girls... (there's that "sex and drugs" thing). Too bad AIDS had to come along and screw it up for everybody... I suppose THAT'S why we have computers today, for "safe" sex... (:- And don't forget, "reality is for those that can't HANDLE drugs..."

Those of you that REALLY like cars and machines, STAY WITH IT! I predict, in the next few years, those with tangible skills (can actually FIX something) are going to be in more demand than any other skills. This world is spiralling downward, out of control. When the doodoo DOES hit the fan, those tangible skills are going to be the ONLY thing worth having. And collect canned goods and ammunition...(:-

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
Earlsfat
Cheesesteakoholic

It's nice to be able to do all the stuff I can do... It makes my wife appreciate me that much more.

I think of it like this... If the world were going to end and you could pick 20 people to save... would you save the people who don't know jack about anything??? Pretty sure I'll be saved a spot.

I'm lucky, I think my kids have inherited that gene that makes them break stuff and then want to fix it. Almost never watch TV, always want to go play outside... can't say so for other kids I know. My wife's friends will come over and the first thing out of their kids mouths... "can we play xbox???"

Nice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Earlsfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsfat

I'm lucky, I think my kids have inherited that gene that makes them break stuff and then want to fix it. .
YOU may be lucky, they're not.
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #15
Earlsfat
Cheesesteakoholic

Haha... dick.

lmao.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Earlsfat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic