Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
RIP
AF -Advisor
 
RIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,857
Thanks: 7
Thanked 89 Times in 89 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Yup, forgot 4th gen van sensors are fixed. Shouldn't be a need for a spacer.
__________________
**We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. It will help hundreds.
**Follow prescribed safety practices before attempting any procedures. Doubts? Consult a maintenance manual.


07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #17
nxm10
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: warren, Michigan
Posts: 39
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
Yup, forgot 4th gen van sensors are fixed. Shouldn't be a need for a spacer.
Thanks for the info RIP,

If there is no need for a spacer on the crank position sensor any other ideas or suggestions on what else might be causing the stalling problem?

Thanks again for all the help,
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
Alphabravo
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 331
Thanks: 25
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

If the problem started after you changed the sensor, I would suspect the new sensor. It is not unheard of to get a faulty new item, especially an electrical item. I have had my share, and most came from the place where you got yours. So much so that I no longer buy anything there anymore. I even got a bad spark plug from there once, causing an intermittent miss that set me back a long time trying to figure it out. I would try another sensor. What caused you to change it in the first place?
Alphabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #19
nxm10
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: warren, Michigan
Posts: 39
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabravo View Post
If the problem started after you changed the sensor, I would suspect the new sensor. It is not unheard of to get a faulty new item, especially an electrical item. I have had my share, and most came from the place where you got yours. So much so that I no longer buy anything there anymore. I even got a bad spark plug from there once, causing an intermittent miss that set me back a long time trying to figure it out. I would try another sensor. What caused you to change it in the first place?
Thanks for the reply Alphabravo,

I originally changed it because of a missing problem i was having with the van. If the sensor was bad wouldn't it throw a trouble code?
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #20
wamaroe
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

My 1996 T&C van was doing the same thing and left me stranded in a New Mexican wilderness. The problem was at a communications ribbon cable connection. The base (receptor)in the dash instument cluster panel has solder joints that, over time develop radial cracks that can cause a disruption of the low voltage circuit. Oft times people have reported fixing the problem with a sharp slap on the dash over the instrument cluster. The best repair is to remove the instrument cluster and get to the back of the cable receptor, then resoldering the connections. Be careful not to overheat the foil on the circuit board. It takes some time, but was an inepensive fix that worked for me. I hope this helps.
wamaroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #21
RIP
AF -Advisor
 
RIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,857
Thanks: 7
Thanked 89 Times in 89 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Crank and cam sensors are infamous for generating erronious data without throwing a code. Take a close look at the connection and harness. If all is well get a new sensor.
__________________
**We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. It will help hundreds.
**Follow prescribed safety practices before attempting any procedures. Doubts? Consult a maintenance manual.


07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #22
RIP
AF -Advisor
 
RIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,857
Thanks: 7
Thanked 89 Times in 89 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamaroe View Post
My 1996 T&C van was doing the same thing and left me stranded in a New Mexican wilderness. The problem was at a communications ribbon cable connection. The base (receptor)in the dash instument cluster panel has solder joints that, over time develop radial cracks that can cause a disruption of the low voltage circuit. Oft times people have reported fixing the problem with a sharp slap on the dash over the instrument cluster. The best repair is to remove the instrument cluster and get to the back of the cable receptor, then resoldering the connections. Be careful not to overheat the foil on the circuit board. It takes some time, but was an inepensive fix that worked for me. I hope this helps.
Nothing is iron clad when it comes to the cracked solder joint issue but generally you will see several symptoms and not just stalling and it rarely effects 4th generation vans (01-07).
__________________
**We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. It will help hundreds.
**Follow prescribed safety practices before attempting any procedures. Doubts? Consult a maintenance manual.


07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #23
nxm10
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: warren, Michigan
Posts: 39
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
Crank and cam sensors are infamous for generating erronious data without throwing a code. Take a close look at the connection and harness. If all is well get a new sensor.
Thanks for replying once again RIP,

Should I Replace just the Crank sensor or replace the crank and cam sensors? I was also wondering if theres any chance the IAC is bad? I took the original one out cleaned and replaced it along the throttle body and that didn't seem to solve the stalling problem. The problem seems to be very intermittent last week it went two days without stalling at all, and yesterday at every red light i had to put it in neutral and "two foot it" to keep it running it would also stall as soon as i took my foot off the gas pedal to slow down for red lights or while coasting through a parking lot. And today it stalled maby 4 times all day.

Last edited by nxm10; 06-17-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: .
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #24
Alphabravo
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 331
Thanks: 25
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxm10 View Post
The problem seems to be very intermittent last week it went two days without stalling at all, and yesterday at every red light i had to put it in neutral and "two foot it" to keep it running it would also stall as soon as i took my foot off the gas pedal to slow down for red lights or while coasting through a parking lot. And today it stalled maby 4 times all day.
If you can keep it running by "two footing" it, then in my opinion you're not losing spark, so it would rule out the cam and crank sensors. I would concentrate on fuel delivery or air. Sounds like a sudden vacuum leak, maybe? Maybe look at your EGR for a vacuum leak? Although the EGR should throw an SEL. Or maybe the IAC motor, like you said. It's so tough when you're dealing with these intermittent problems, they are so hard to diagnose.

Good luck.
Alphabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #25
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Windsor, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,469
Thanks: 22
Thanked 97 Times in 97 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Does it make difference if the air conditioning is operating or not???
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #26
nxm10
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: warren, Michigan
Posts: 39
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabravo View Post
If you can keep it running by "two footing" it, then in my opinion you're not losing spark, so it would rule out the cam and crank sensors. I would concentrate on fuel delivery or air. Sounds like a sudden vacuum leak, maybe? Maybe look at your EGR for a vacuum leak? Although the EGR should throw an SEL. Or maybe the IAC motor, like you said. It's so tough when you're dealing with these intermittent problems, they are so hard to diagnose.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply alphabravo ,

The van is egr deleate so I think I'm gonna try the Iac I can get one for $40 keeping my fingers crossed I will post results.
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #27
nxm10
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: warren, Michigan
Posts: 39
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
Does it make difference if the air conditioning is operating or not???
Thanks for the reply Tempfixit,

No it makes no difference if the a/c is on or not.
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
kpa2004
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hudson, Massachusetts
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

I Had a problem w/my voyager skipping and stalling occasionally, Replaced the spark plugs, never happened again.
kpa2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #29
mrtinker
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hillsborough, North Carolina
Posts: 29
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Hey, just to throw in a curve ball... Any chance the fuel pump is intermittently stopped working? Maybe it pumps up (starts) after the pressure equalizes but not when there's a higher differential pressure for it to overcome?

Maybe I'm just thinkin too hard?
mrtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #30
nxm10
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: warren, Michigan
Posts: 39
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

SUCCESS FINALLY!!!! I replaced the crank position sensor today that i bought from autozone, when i pulled it back out i found that the actual magnetic sensor on top wasn't out as far as the one i purchased from the dealer and from what i've learned on this board that will cause all kinds of problems for the van. So now it runs like a new van again! Thank you to everyone for the great advice and tips! Without it i would have probably would have dumped the van into a river lol.

Last edited by nxm10; 07-07-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: .
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
92 Dodge Ram250 Van stalls Intermittently greybeard851 Ram Van 10 10-20-2009 07:35 AM
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES idle problem Rookie Tech Caravan | Voyager 3 07-03-2009 12:27 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts