Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
snickerkisses
AF Newbie

Angry 1991 Regal Custom- Possible Fuel Pump Problem

I have a 1991 buick regal custom, 3.8L. The problems I've been having are intermittent but are getting worse. I think it may be more than one issue. To begin with I've had problems starting the car. Sometimes it fires right up, sometimes I have to crank the engine a few times, and other times I have to use starting fluid. Sometimes after I start it or after I put the car into park the RPMs jump way up, almost red lining and I have to shut it off. Other times the idle will go down so low that the car will either stall or the engine will die. Several times I've been stopped at a red light with the car in drive when the RPMs drop extremely low and I have to simultaneously step on the brake and rev up the engine to keep it going. Soon after it does this, the car will refuse to go faster than 15 mph no matter how much I push the gas pedal in or pump it, even though I can hear the engine revving when I give it gas. Also when this happens sometimes I will let off the brake pedal and the car will lunge forward like it got a sudden burst of gas. My husband has changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, O2 sensor, and it hasn't helped at all. It also had a new alternator installed about 2 years ago. The only other thing we can think to do is replace the fuel pump, but we would like another opinion before we spend the money on it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by snickerkisses; 02-10-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typo
snickerkisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
consultIII
AF Regular

Re: 1991 Regal Custom- Possible Fuel Pump Problem

doesn't sound like fuel pump but rather fuel control issue.

never change out a fuel pump without first conducting a fuel pressure test; otherwise its guesswork.

check for dtc. post the dtc after code retrieval.
consultIII is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
buick , fluctuation , fuel , pump , rpm
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal