Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
deja08
AF Newbie

Squeak when driving and on brakes also

I have a very high squeak when I am driving that is driving me crazy!! It does not happen when I am sitting still, just when the car is in motion. Can anyone give me an idea of what it could be?
I also have squeaky brakes!! What is this a sign of?
Thanks,
GIna
deja08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
mike_drz
AF Newbie

brake problem

I could be a number of things, but most likely your brake pads are gone and your caplipers are digging into your rotors, they squeal when this happens on purpose to let u know u've gotta change your brake pads. When is the last time you had your brake pads fixed, what make and model car do u drive?
mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
deja08
AF Newbie

I have a 1997 Pontiac Gran Am. I had the brakes replaced 2 and 1/2 years ago. Then they started doing "funny" things so I had them replaced AGAIN about a year and 2 months ago. I did not think they would give me problems so soon. I was worried about the squeaking breaks, but the squeaking when I drive really is driving me crazy! Any help you can give me would be great!!
Thanks,
Gina
Old 10-08-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
mike_drz
AF Newbie

I've got a 96 grand am, our cars are pretty much the same. The brakes have been pulling a number on me ever since I owned the car, the brakes on these things HAVE ISSUES!! I have to replace my pads every year too. Your mechanic has to know what he's doing cuz these cars are a pain to deal with at times. The squeal could be because the brakes weren't installed properly, or as i said before cuz the pads are worn out. I think it's prob. worn out again i wouldn't be surprised. Does the braking feel different, do u have to push pretty hard when you slow down? Details like that could help diagonses what's wrong?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #5
deja08
AF Newbie

They could be harder to use......or I might have to push down alittle harder to make it stop. But if I do, it is something that is happening over time and I just don't notice it because I am use to it now. They are suppose to be power brakes, but when I drive my fathers car I can tell the difference!! His brakes are really power brakes!! I just want to have it checked to see what is wrong and have that fixed, but I am told that if I take it in they will probably charge me just to check it and tell me I need new brakes. I do not think I need them since they are just a year old. But I agree with the new brake pads. I probably need them. However, if I do need new brakes, I do not know how to tell.
Thanks for your help!!!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:23 PM   #6
mike_drz
AF Newbie

Unfortunately the only way to tell for sure is to take it in to a shop and have it measured, and they'll tell you what percentage of your brakes are left. HOWEVER there's a guy on this post that is a GM mechanic and is very helpful I suggest you private message him and give him your story and he'll prob. help you out. His user name is "GMMerlin"
Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
deja08
AF Newbie

Thanks for your help!! I will give him a try.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:14 AM   #8
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Squeak when driving and on brakes also

First a quick brake inspection would be in order to determine the condition of your pads.
You squeak may be as simple as worn out pads.
Does the noise go away when you apply the brakes and the car is still rolling?
What kind of "funny" problems were/are you having with your brakes?
Also the type of brake pad compound, the rotor surface and how they were seated to each other will have an affect on brake feel and aggressiveness.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #9
deja08
AF Newbie

The funny problems I had at first was a feeling that the brakes were kind of "slipping" at first. It was like they were fine when stopping then it felt like the car would move or jump alittle just before I let off the brake. I took them in and had new brakes put on them. About 8 months later the same thing started happening again and I got them fixed again under warranty. That was about 14 months ago and now they are squeaking really bad and everynow and then they will feel like they are slipping again. I was told that with a Gran Am, you need to change the brake pad evey year. But I should not need new brakes should I?
The noise does go away when I put on the brakes. I just hear the brakes squeaking then!! A squeak here and a squeak there!! I had no idea Gran Am's were so much trouble!!!