Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 01:00 PM   #1
RticQl8
AF Regular

Suspension lift question

I have a calmini lift on order but im thinking of making changes to the kit. I realy want to use revolver shackle to increase rear wheel travel. Problem is revolver shackles require longer shocks. The only place I could find revolvers for sale does not specifiy which shocks to use.
http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/...6768bf8311ef6e

So if I go with these shackles and the calmini kit I will have an extra set of shocks laying around = waisted money.. Also the lift provided by the revolvers is slightly less than the lift provided by the calmini shackles. Is there a way to make up the difference? I dont want a saggy bottom
RticQl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 08:16 PM   #2
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Call AC. I am sure they have the part numbers you are looking for.

As for the Calmini lift, I am pretty sure that I read that it offers no additional wheel travel in the front, unlike the AC and SLR upper A-Arms do. Keeping this in mind, after putting in the revolvers your rear wheel travel is going to be well more than double your front. Having such unbalanced travel could end up being a liability. Plus keep in mind you will need to replace your rear diff breather tube and extend your rear brake lines.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:20 PM   #3
XSAL
AF Newbie

Additional Wheel Travel

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang
As for the Calmini lift, I am pretty sure that I read that it offers no additional wheel travel in the front, unlike the AC and SLR upper A-Arms do.
Just curious. Does anyone know if Calmini made any changes to the front a-arms after a magezine commented (I believe it was some 4x4 magazine that said so in an article) that Calmini does not offer additional wheel travel?

I just can't imagine a company like Calmini would just leave something like that unchanged after the negative (relatively) comments were made. I would think that many people who are planning to install 3" lift want the additional wheel travel after spending some money on it.

Or, have anyone seen/heard if Calmini said anything regarding to the comment made on the magazine?

Again, I'm just curious to find out....since I am also strongly considering purchasing Calmini's front a-arms....

Thanks,
XSAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 09:24 PM   #4
RticQl8
AF Regular

According to Calmini (dont remember the exact #'s) their lift will increase front wheel travel more than 2". If it where not for this I would have bought another lift kit. I will double check on monday just to be sure but I know I went over this with them already. Im aware of all the messy crap associated with installing the revolver shackles but I realy realy want them so ill try realy realy hard to install them
Old 02-23-2002, 10:34 PM   #5
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

The magazine was 4WD and Sport Utility, the August issue...interesting though that comment does not appear in the on line version of the article. The comment was something along the lines of "With the lift installed we were able to install larger tires but no increase in wheel travel was seen"...I have to look as I think I have that issue somewhere still.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:39 AM   #6
RticQl8
AF Regular

If you could please locate that article I will ask Calmini about it monday. If there lift doesn't provide 2+ inches of increased wheel travel I will have to go with another kit. Sucks to because I've realy taken a likeing to Calmini. Best company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #7
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

And please post what you find out. It would be nice to get to the bottom of this. Whether they've made a change, or if not why, etc.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:33 PM   #8
RticQl8
AF Regular

I was looking at the SLR kits today and they claim to have .5" more wheel travel front and back in their stage 3 kit over their stages 1 and 2. I can't figure how the only difference from stage 2 to 3 is the addition of the front torsion bars. Any ideas how this would affect rear wheel travel?
Old 02-24-2002, 04:19 PM   #9
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
The stage 3 kit includes a National Spring spring pack. That is where the travel comes from.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:24 PM   #10
Stormy
AF Enthusiast

Re: Additional Wheel Travel

Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL

Just curious. Does anyone know if Calmini made any changes to the front a-arms after a magezine commented (I believe it was some 4x4 magazine that said so in an article) that Calmini does not offer additional wheel travel?

I just can't imagine a company like Calmini would just leave something like that unchanged after the negative (relatively) comments were made. I would think that many people who are planning to install 3" lift want the additional wheel travel after spending some money on it.

Or, have anyone seen/heard if Calmini said anything regarding to the comment made on the magazine?

Again, I'm just curious to find out....since I am also strongly considering purchasing Calmini's front a-arms....

Thanks,
Wait, can someone explain to me how the calmini lift doesn't add travel? Are we talking front travel, rear travel, or the average of the front and rear? The only way that I can see it not adding travel is if it adds some sort of limit on the up travel. The bumpstop is going to be the same on the down travel (I would think).
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:05 PM   #11
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger
The stage 3 kit includes a National Spring spring pack. That is where the travel comes from.
Actualy the spring pack comes with both the stage 2 and 3 kits according to. http://www.spencerlowracing.com/suspension.htm and even if it didn't that wouldn't explain the added wheel travel up front
Old 02-25-2002, 12:14 AM   #12
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to rear. My guess would be that the front is gained via the bumpstop replacement in combination with the high-angle ball joints and control arm. I haven't really reviewed the differences between the Stage 2 and 3 kits since I have to have the leaf pack because of my rear locker. That pretty much sewed up my choice. You might want to call Spence and ask him. He will talk to you if you ask questions.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 12:21 AM   #13
RticQl8
AF Regular

After reading my post I can see how I confused you. What I meant to say is that SRL shows incresed wheel travel from stage 2 to stage 3 however the only added componet is the torsion bars. Maybe a call to spencer is the best solution but I can't afford their kits anyway so ill probably just let it go.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:53 AM   #14
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger
I have to have the leaf pack because of my rear locker.
??? What ?
Old 02-25-2002, 09:04 AM   #15
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
More prone to axle wrap/hop I'd say...

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail