Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #121
Hoags
AF Enthusiast

Re: Grand Am off topic thread

Ride,

Thanks for the kind words, I don't think of myself as an asset {maybe if you drop the last 2 letters it would fit me better LOL.}, I am out here doing something I love to do, I love talking cars and it gets even better when you can talk with a bunch of people that have the same car. As for my know how it has just come from good old fashion experience. I only know abotu the stuff that I've been through, when it comes to mods and new technology I'm limited to my 96 GT. You youger guys are the technomods [NEW WORD I THINK, i kind of like it...]
TECHNOMOD: Tek-no-mod-...One who knows the techincal aspects of the upgrade and after market parts required to increase and inhance the horsepower and performance of the Pontiac Grand Am SE and GT models, but not limited to the Quad 4 and/or the V6 (with or with out the Ram Air option).

Sorry, way off track, any way like I was saying, I just do this for the fun of it the part about helping people is a great benefit to the fun. But just the same than you for the kind words.

Tam: the same goes for you, thanks for the kind words, this would not be as enjoyable if not for your wit and humor that you send my way. [ example: your intended sarcasm in the PM from the other day.]

To any others that are becoming regulars on the GA Forum: I'm glad to help with any problems you may have to the best of my abilities.

SUBJECT CHANGE: My little girl passed her Drivers Learners Permit Test, she is however a little hesitant about getting behind the wheel. But Thank you to all who have wished her the best, she thought it was great, that people we don't even know wished her good luck. I explained to her that the group of people on the GA forum are a great group that get a lot of enjoyment from helping others.

Thanks you guys,
Dan
Old 05-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #122
grandamdriver52
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to grandamdriver52 Send a message via MSN to grandamdriver52

That sounds great. It's cool that you can feel that way about other people that you dont really know that are helpping you in anyway they can. And that is cool that your daughter permit. When i got my permit all i thought about and wanted to do was drive, now im just looking forward to getting my license in july so i can power around in the time of my summer vacation with my friends.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:06 PM   #123
Hoags
AF Enthusiast

Grandam, that sounds like a great plan, When I got my permit at 16 (A LONG TIME AGO), in Pa you only had to wait 30 days before taking your test. My dad used to be a driver training instructer and taught me how to drive in about two weeks, it helpped that I used to take mom's car around the neighborhood when I was only 15 yrs. old, I think the old man knew about it but he never said anything about it.
It was great getting the liscence in the summer, being able to cruise around with out having to worry about slick roads made it a lot easier to handle the bad weather when it finally came.

Talking about people you don't really know...please do me one favor...when you get out by yourself in July, just be cool for a while, I really hate it when a young person gets in an accident shortly after getting their liscence. You will be driving for a long time so don't rush into anything. [ Sorry, fatherly instinct kicked in].

Well, I gotta run, I'll post at you tomarrow,
Dan
Old 05-15-2005, 05:45 AM   #124
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

How long ago, Dan????????? Glad the daughter got her permit, now get ready for the insurance, sigh

But, I sure with your guidance, she'll be a good driver. And, it is always my opinion, start them with an auto-trans first, so they get the bugs of new-driver stuff worked out, then put their hands on a standard. Everyone should know how to run a standard. [And, my opinion, they not only more fun, they allow ya to stay "in-tune" with the ride, though they sem impractical for start-stop daily-daily inner city driving, sigh]

Brings memory of last ex~~~~~~~~ I bought a Jeep, 5-speed standard, thought I'd treat myself to some 4wd capability, and surprise the ex. She looked at the shift lever and knob shift-pattern, then at the clutch, like they were alien creatures come to spirit her away from earth. Priceless!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, after a clutch replace, she was hopeless, and I divorced her, LMFAO. J/K, guys, J/K, though not about the clutch.

Anyhoo, the Jeep lasted longer than she did
Old 05-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #125
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

At least my current Lady knows how to run a stick, no, [well, maybe so, hehe] pun intended. Take that, Ride, you ain't the only buck in the woods, LOL, buddy.

Hoo boy, I shouldn't come in here on no sleep, sigh.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #126
Hoags
AF Enthusiast

New meaning to Grinding Gears !!!!

Hey, Ride's not the only ladies man around here... I'm not one I've been with my sweetie for 21 years, August marks the 18th annaversary.

She too can run a stick...The damn GAGT gets more hand shaking than I do. I think I gave up too much when she took over the car. Maybe that's why it's running so freaking good!

Tam, I too need some sleep, going on about 1 &1/2 hours last night, (foot kept me up...it really sucks at times.), but I am getting used to sleeping 1 to 2 hours a night, sometimes 3 to 4 if I'm lucky.

See things have changed so much...I think I'm getting lucky if I get 3 to 4 hours of sleep. Man am I twisted?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #127
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Nah, Dan, I emphathize with your physical hassle. Understood.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #128
Hoags
AF Enthusiast

I had a chance to drive the GAGT today, the wife took the XL-7 because she messed up her shoulder and was having trouble shifting gears. I forgot how quick that car can be. It has given me an urge to make some modifications to squeeze out some more performance, but I then realize that with the boy wanting the car when he turns 16 I do not want to unleash too much performance on a new driver. That's OK it is still a bunch of fun to drive.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:30 AM   #129
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
JEEZ what happened? I go away for 2 days, and now it's two pages later? Now i have to play catch up and read all the posts!!!

Old 05-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #130
grandamdriver52
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to grandamdriver52 Send a message via MSN to grandamdriver52

haha, yea. i got the car takin away from me cause i got a bad grade in one of my classes but im bringing it up but either way i lost it till sometime in june...it suck cause i cant work on it.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #131
Ridenour
GranddAmnit

Send a message via MSN to Ridenour
Re: Re: Grand Am off topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoags
Ride,

Thanks for the kind words, I don't think of myself as an asset {maybe if you drop the last 2 letters it would fit me better LOL.}, I am out here doing something I love to do, I love talking cars and it gets even better when you can talk with a bunch of people that have the same car. As for my know how it has just come from good old fashion experience. I only know abotu the stuff that I've been through, when it comes to mods and new technology I'm limited to my 96 GT. You youger guys are the technomods [NEW WORD I THINK, i kind of like it...]
TECHNOMOD: Tek-no-mod-...One who knows the techincal aspects of the upgrade and after market parts required to increase and inhance the horsepower and performance of the Pontiac Grand Am SE and GT models, but not limited to the Quad 4 and/or the V6 (with or with out the Ram Air option).
LoL - right on Dan! Haha I love your deffinition of Technomod - great word to use from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeblade_03
At least my current Lady knows how to run a stick, no, [well, maybe so, hehe] pun intended. Take that, Ride, you ain't the only buck in the woods, LOL, buddy.

Hoo boy, I shouldn't come in here on no sleep, sigh.
LoL! - Ohh.... It's ON Tam!! LoL - that reminds me of a thing actually I saw somewhere on AF a long time ago. Some dude was talking about how his girlfriend "beat a stick the other night" LoL and then some guy said "Yeh,... it was mine." LoL that cracks me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoags
New meaning to Grinding Gears !!!!

Hey, Ride's not the only ladies man around here... I'm not one I've been with my sweetie for 21 years, August marks the 18th annaversary.

She too can run a stick...The damn GAGT gets more hand shaking than I do. I think I gave up too much when she took over the car. Maybe that's why it's running so freaking good!
LoL - oh my gosh you guys crack me up - hey congratulations on your long marriage, Dan. In today's world of divorcing and shit like that, It's great to here about relationships that have held that long. I'm very lucky also - (not married obviously) - but I have parents that have been married 27 years.... or oh shit, maybe it was 28?? I don't remember o well LoL

Hey dan I wouldn't worry about getting too much horsepower into the GA for you son to handle. You can have the power be there, but take him out and teach him how to control it. I mean, you probably won't get huge amounts of uncontrollable power, it's not like it's enough or rear wheel drive or anything where he could loose control just by getting on it (unless you were to consider wicked torque-steer on gravel) - he will still be able to go fast in the car, yes - but the main thing is being able to control the vehicle. Take him out on a skid-pad if you can find one (wet parking lot works) and teach him skid recovery, stuff like that. Snowy / icy parking lots are a great way for him to practice winter driving reaction also. I've learned so much shit bombing around in parking lots, it's saved me a couple times on my 60-70 mile daily drive. He'll go from being a white-knuckled "oh-shit, I'm gonna crash if I hit a sliver of ice" to being a relaxed, alert, responsive, confident driver who knows that he knows how to control his car if something happens. Obviously you don't want him to get a big head thinking he's a badass driver or anything, but I think you get my point - good luck with the young-un.

Grandamdriver - that kind of stinks. Just hang in there though pal, it's part of their parently thinking. They want you to associate the absence of your cool car with bad grades = your mind wants better grades to get car back. Just hang in there, do better, don't worry about your gone car, and you'll get it back eventually. Shit like this happens when you're in high school - in a few years, they won't be able to do a damn thing to you. And someday you can pull up in your fully-modded GTO (much like myself in 3 years ) and be like "yehh... what now parents? Go ahead and try to take away / stop me from moddin that!! LoL good luck to you man

Oh hey, on a side-not, I just finished my last day of my Senior year yesterday! Whoopy!!! I still have LAMP (that GM class you guys have probably heard me talk about before) until early June, however. Blagh. It's worth it though. Good luck to you all, I should be able to increase my forum time now that schools over... for good Bwahahghgh!!! .... well, until July 1st that is LoL. Talk to you all later.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #132
Hoags
AF Enthusiast

Ride: Congrads on finishing up your senior year, it's a great feeling to know that your are done with the required education, from now on your education is optional.

As for the Car-Woman thing I have a feeling it could get pretty ugly. I just hope that we can refrain from from using the real nasty stuff.

Grandam: that's too bad about the car...Good luck getting that grade up. June's coming quick and with any luck your mom and dad will let up on you.

Well, I gotta run, I'll catch you guys tomarrow.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #133
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Just a gggrrrrrrrr, I don't care if flatrater gets ticked, I will not mention a "certain" FREE site that can be of immeasurable help to drivers anymore. But it is OKAY that so many pay-to-get-information sites get listed here. Just scroll down, see what is FREE!!!!!!!!!! Not knocking those sites, if I had the bucks, I might entertain the idea of $30 for a subscription. Sadly, $30 for a site that gives essentially the same as a certain site I offerred to members for free, was chastised.

That's cool, but I can use those $30 to fill my tank, or buy a part to install myself, not a labor fee for a certified master mechanic to work on the ride or giving someone I really don't know money for "hopefully" good repair information. I in no way disparage the person, it is a tremendous accomplishment, and a damn good living, but some of us can't fork over the $$ if we can avoid it , by doing our own repairs. And while that may threaten the livelihood of mechanics in dealerships, don't fret, you have enough people who will bring their rides in to be repaired no matter what. GM has seen to that. I know, I have buddies behind the counters, and ASE mech.'s who have stated to me so.

my rant, I do apologize, I mean no offense to anyone, just my practical view of things, so I will shut up now.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 AM   #134
Hoags
AF Enthusiast

For $30.00, you are not even going to get a full hour's worth of work from a certified machanic. I know for a fact that the dealership's in my area are getting $60.00 to $75.00 per hour.

Unfortunatly, you are right about GM seeing that there are " DEALER ONLY" parts and repairs. Heaven forbid if I run into one of these repairs, I just can't afford it. Someone ripped off my winshield washer nozzle, probably because it's a dealer only item, who wants to go through the hastle and expense,
Old 05-18-2005, 04:24 PM   #135
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Dan, much as I'd like to respond, I said I'd shut up, buddy, and I try to be a man of my word, NET or otherwise. I think you will understand.

U still da MAN!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM