Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
dankrokosky
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1992 chevey suburban 7.4 litter

I bought this 1992 Suburban a month ago. It has the "service engine soon light" on. They put some headers on it but only put one oxegen sensor in. Will this engine ever run correctly with just one?

Also the headers put out a lot a lot of heat. I live in Guatemala and the floor of the car is down right hot. I was thinking of removing the headers and replacing them with a regular manifold. To keep the engine compartment cooler. Will it?

Also I have water on the passager side on the car. Lots. It's the heater core right? The heater does not work but there is a lot of water on the floor. I would think the engine would have over heated by now. I took it to the garage and they said the roof was leaking. I fixed the roof but there is still water on the floor.

It is a night mare to find a good machanic in this county any advise would be greatly appriated.
dankrokosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
TrailLeadr
AF Newbie

Re: 1992 chevey suburban 7.4 litter

The engine is only supposed to have on O2 sensor. There was no option for ultiple O2 sensors of the suburban until '96. The engine should be fine. if you're concerned about the heat, and the O2 sensor, it sounds as though your best bet would be just to go back to the OEM manifolds. Water on the floor could be the heater core. Monitor your coolant level, as this vehicle takes about 4-5 gallons of coolant all together.

Good Luck
My Daughter calls it the bus, and sits in the
third row seat praying for potholes and speedbumps!

Just Horsin' Around Equine Services
http://www.JHA-Trans.com
TrailLeadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
dankrokosky
AF Newbie

Angry 1992 chevey suburban 7.4 Litter

Your right. It does only have one. We replaced and the service engine soon light when out. Magic. We also replaced something in the ignition that looked like a little donut. It was in terriable shape. Now the thing runs much better.

But now the AC went out. You really need it.
dankrokosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1992 chevey suburban 7.4 litter

The newer headers run COOLER than cast-iron manifolds! I have Edelbrock Ti-tec (titanium powder finish over stainless steel on my Suburban and it's noticeably cooler underhood. Ceramic coated headers are even cooler-running.

If the headers you have are otherwise OK, I suggest two easier/cheaper ways to go. Either wrap the headers with racer's insulating fabric (maybe continue it along the tailpipe) or install some aluminum foil-coated insulation board material undr your carpets. Jeg-s and Summit sell this stuff mail-order for street rods.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical