Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
SolarFlare
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to SolarFlare
Low Coolant Light

I was on my way from the grocery store that is only about 5 miles away when my car overheated to where the red light came on. I went and checked my fluids and saw that I was a quart low in oil and my coolant was low. I can't really tell how much coolant to put in there so I filled it to where I was comfortable just enough to stick a little twig in and see that it wasn't too full. As soon as I turned my car on the low coolant light came on. I thought well maybe it needs time to register that it has coolant in it so I drove around the block. Still low coolant light is on. I turn it off and turn it on and still low coolant light. I moved from out of the parking lot to another space so that if I go outside and see it leaking I will know what the deal is. Someone please tell me why this is happening. Why wouldn't it have registered before why after I put coolant in it does the low coolant light come on. Seem a little backwards to me. And I notice my car gives me warnings when it's like way too late. Arrgggghhhh. Help me Please.
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Reg Saretsky
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Reg Saretsky
Try a Dexcool early change.

I changed my dexcool at 4 years/ 70,000 miles, as I feel GMC is flubbing the truth on the product.
The dealership topped it up it at 3 years 50,000 miles as part of the gasket overhaul. (Partial chg) warranty repair
the dexcool gets changed on my 99 Malibu next fall. Better safe than sorry.

good luck
Reg
Reg Saretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
steve_o
AF Newbie

Re: Low Coolant Light

I had a similar problem with my 1998 Malibu 3.1 V-6.

It have that Dexcool stuff in it and there was a lot of sludge built up in the reservoir. The overflow reservoir level might have been a little low and I took a turn really fast to avoid collision. The caused the float inside the overflow to get stuck due to the excessive sludge brought on by the orange Dexcool.

I had to drain some coolant and take the overflow out and shake the float loose.

Next spring I am flushing that orange coolant out and going back to the green coolant. After replacing the intake manifold gasket and now this, I don't know if it caused the gasket problem, but I don't care.

Just look at the gunk that builds up inside the reservoir, I don't know what else its plugging up.

I just don't trust that stuff.
steve_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Polishpat
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Polishpat

Is the car still overheating??? When the car is warmed up....put your hand on the upper radiator hose and see if its hot or not! If its not hot..then most likely your thermostat is stuck. At times, it is possible for the low coolant light to pop up due to this. This is another malfunction caused by the infamous dex-cool sludge.
Polishpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
stratford_boy
AF Newbie

I've had good luck in unsticking these floats by hitting the resivoir with a closed fist on the side...try it with the overflow full...
stratford_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Polishpat
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Polishpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford_boy
I've had good luck in unsticking these floats by hitting the resivoir with a closed fist on the side...try it with the overflow full...
I wish all repairs worked like that on the Malibu. Thats how I used to fix my gas gauge when it used to get stuck lol
Polishpat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu