Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
firun
AF Regular

Ditech's Mercedes-Benz 5.0 SLC Hans Heyer Gr.5 1981

Recently I've bought Mercedes-Benz 5.0 SLC Hans Heyer Gr.5 1981 by Ditech Individual Production.

Quality of this kit is not the best, to be honest - it consists of only body, decals, windows printed on thin transparent polyethylene, paper-based engine and other parts and all. And I can write down a lot of fancy words about it, but the photos will show better:

9. The engine and everything is given like an origami. Not the best choice for realistic model:

Today I've started to work with this kit:

1. Comparison of earlier and later versions:

2. There were a lot of flash and bubbles everywhere:

3. I fixed some flash:

4. Close-up:

5. Front grill:

6. Rear (actually comparing Ditech kit with photos of prototype, I understood that rear end in kit is not right - there is no bumper, spoiler is wrong - I have no choice either to correct these fails):

Photos of kit and WIP are available here. Photos of actual prototype are here.

I would be grateful for any info about this prototype, because I have only one article about it from German magazine.

Also I have a question about engine - on paper, which imitates the engine, it's written Mclaren-Mercedes. Which engine could be used on this prototype in 1981?

My kits collection.
firun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Scalemodelfanatic
AF Regular

Re: Ditech's Mercedes-Benz 5.0 SLC Hans Heyer Gr.5 1981

Good luck with this model, by the pictures you posted and your comments this is indeed a poor quality casting with even poorer details...the front grille alone is a quite clear indication of the problems with this resin body, it would be best to cut it out and scrachtbuild another one....or find a replacement from a model kit.

But I have seen in this forums real low quality resin/plastic kits that where turned in to scale model masterpieces(with a LOT of work of course) by several members here, so theres always hope!!

The real prototype car really looks interesting and impresive!!!

Again good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Scalemodelfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
SCORPIONFB
AF Regular

Woow...I hope you did not pay to much for that piece!!!. It is really bad.... Good luck with your project.

Regards,
Old 07-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
firun
AF Regular

I have found some info about this car:

Quote:
Following last week's exclusive story, here are photographs of Hans Heyer's exciting Mercedes-bodied Group C car, unveiled at the Jochen Rindt Show in Essen.
Confirming rumor, the car shown was fitted with a Lucas fuel-injected Mercedes 5-litre V8 engine, positioned amidships. The unit is stated to produce 580 to 600 bhp and is mated to a Hewland LG600 gearbox. In its show specification, the car has Lockheed brakes, Bilstein dampers and Pirelli tyres.
Heyer conceived the car two years ago - before he began his involvement with Lancia. It incorporates an aluminum monocoque chassis designed along ground effect principles and the airflow along the chassis sides is said to be notably uncluttered. The beast is 4,450 mm long, with front and rear tracks of 1,840 and 1,940 mm respectively. Overall weight is around 850 kg, with a front to rear distribution of 40/60.
Mercedes-Benz have no connection with the project, which was initially built to run at Le Mans. According to Heyer, "We have to wait for the final Group C regulations. The car is only a model (albeit one source reveals could race immediately). It's my idea of a Group C car. At the moment I don't intend to enter the car, but maybe later I will drive it myself at the Le Mans."
Thus the machine's future remains vague. However, what is known is the the team are currently developing a twin-turbo power unit of up to 6.3-litre capacity. That should set rival teams thinking.

And some specifications which are near to be true:
Quote:
ONS Group 6 (1981) Reg-No.: 6 / 10479 / 81

Engine: watercooled V8 - Aluminimum injection engine with Chevy - intake manifold, 4998 cc. Compression 1:11, Lucas - injection

Power: 580-600 Bhp

Transmission: Hewland - LG 600-4 gears gearbox, Borg + Beck triple disk clutch.

Chassis: Bilstein - Shocks, Lockheed brakes.

Rims: Magnesium - Aluf rims, front 15 X 15 X 11 inches and 17 inches rear
Tyres: Pirelli "P7 Corsa" - Radial 265/40 R15 in front and rear 425 X 16

Body: closed, McLaren - M8F monocoque - Construction (chassis number 4-72) in aluminum "AL 47" Engine Self supporting, Linings made of glass fiber - polyester, removable tail part, more body parts of Mercedes C107 SLC, up to Rubber safety tank 300 liters, fully foamed.

Length x with x Height in mm
4450 x 1985 x 1100

Wheight empty: 850 kg
Top speed over 300 km / h
Scalemodelfanatic, SCORPIONFB, thanks for warm words!

I have payed 50 Euros + shipping for this kit. It's quite fine I think for individual work.
The grill is not a problem really - I've started to rebuilt it and everything looks fine in near future.

As Jurgen (owner of Ditech) told me, this Mercedes is based on McLaren M8B:

Quote:
The rims and the Chassis with motor are from the McLaren M8 CanAm
And looking precisely on photos of this two cars - it's really true:

Photos and model by Mark Hiott

This makes building this model really much more simple. I've already bought the Accurate Miniatures kit and hope that Mercedes body will nicely fit on chassis of Mac.

My kits collection.

Last edited by firun; 07-06-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

This reminds me of a vw w12 golf i was looking at on ebay a while back, never bought it but now i regret not buying it. Im on the hunt for it now, it was from a asian seller i think and it had a paper motor also.

Good luck with the kit, lots of scratchbuilding is required to make it fairly decent kit.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

great project !!!!

Nevertheless the Ditech body is a real pain. It is wrong, warped, broken, covered with bubbles, no sharp panel lines - hard to belief that they want 50 Euro for this piece of junk
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
SCORPIONFB
AF Regular

Well...according with the photo-album linked with the first picture, the body looks better than the one that you have. I pretty sure that are wright about use the Chassis with motor from the McLaren M8 CanAm. They look the same in the pictures, but I am not sure about the rims and tires.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
firun
AF Regular

SCORPIONFB, I hope that when the kit arrives it will be fine and the rims are like on Hans Heyer's Mercedes. If not - well than I need to 3D-model them and print on 3D-printer. Not a big deal. The only issue - the lack of time...

By the way, does anybody has access to Racing Underground to look up for articles or even videos on this prototype? That would be really helpful!

My kits collection.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Scalemodelfanatic
AF Regular

It looks like it have the same rims as the McLaren car, as it can be seen in the photos of the real(?) car that is been advertise for sale.

May be you can contact the seller of the car for more info and pictures, hope it helps.

http://www.racecarmagazine.com/ForSa...ges/8703-1.jpg
Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Scalemodelfanatic
AF Regular

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
firun
AF Regular

Scalemodelfanatic, thanks for your post with photos!
I've already written to sellers of this car couple days ago, but there is no answer yet. And I don't think that there will be any.

My kits collection.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
kejoba
AF Newbie

I hope you like sanding......
I also don't understand why they are selling bad quality as this.
It's not a good advertisement for this company...

Goodluck with building (and sanding, i'm afraid so)
Grtz!
Kees
kejoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
formulaking
AF Newbie

I wonder if any of the above complainant have ever attempted to do a scratch built model? I have done it several times and it takes more than 75 hours,if you multiply that for what you earn per hour,every one will know how much are they willing to pay for a body like that(with all it defects). I am sure it would save me over 50 hours ,if that means 49 euros,it is a bargain!.
formulaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #14
gtziaf
AF Enthusiast

Good luck with this!!!
You can use Pre-Thinned Paint Sealer before primer to seal the mesy surface...
http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/produ...a61ac1386b5806
gtziaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulaking View Post
I wonder if any of the above complainant have ever attempted to do a scratch built model? I have done it several times and it takes more than 75 hours,if you multiply that for what you earn per hour,every one will know how much are they willing to pay for a body like that(with all it defects). I am sure it would save me over 50 hours ,if that means 49 euros,it is a bargain!.
I think, you are not the only one here who made a master. Making a master in good quality is one thing. Yes, it takes time, but what do I want: a master of a 1:1 car or a master for a look-alike model?

Casting in resin is another feature. If people are not able, to cast without bubbles in that amount, they should think about the technique they use or leave it.

After a certain amount of castings, the mold must be replaced - if not, the panel lines on the model f.e. will just be shadows, just what you see here at this SLC body.

Look at other after market offers: for 50 to 60 Euros you get transkits with better resin, etched parts, metal parts, decals, etc ...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
ditech , hans , heyer , le-mans , mercedes-benz
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports