Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #31
klvaleri
AF Regular

Re: Isuzu Rodeo TICKING NOISE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmasters3
Try a quart of Rislone engine oil additive. I had that noise in a 1997 and tried everything imaginable-different weights of oil, synthetics, blends, etc., and one quart of Rislone got rid of the noise.
Where can I get this Rislone from any auto store?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #32
660Ryder
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klvaleri
Where can I get this Rislone from any auto store?
I get mine at Walmart. ~$2-3 a quart.
660Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #33
wv6z
AF Newbie

Okay, I know I am new here, but, I promise that I do not work for Turtle Wax or Marvel Mystery Oil. Right, wrong, good, bad or indifferent, here is my take on a possible solution to the ticking, tapping or rattling Isuzus. I just submitted the following testimonial to their web site.

Okay, so I am fast becoming an ‘olde tymer’, and I first started using Marvel Mystery Oil while I was still in high school well over thirty years ago now while working on my first ‘project car’, a 1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII. So anyway, yesterday I purchased a beautiful 1997 Isuzu Trooper with the 3.2L DOHC with an auto tranny and 117,000 miles. This not being my first Isuzu product (the last was a Honda Passport), I expected it to sound more like a diesel than a gasoline engine, and it did. After reading a lot on Isuzu engine noise in a few Isuzu forums and fumbling through the various recommendations about everything from your competitors products to different viscosity oils, the old light bulb went off and I pulled in to the parts store and grabbed a quart of MMO this evening, added almost all of it to the slightly below full oil and put the rest, maybe eight ounces or so, into the gas tank.

The difference was like night and day and rather than rattle like an old farm tractor, both noise and engine running smoothness wise, she’s as quiet as a church mouse and runs as smooth as silk and that’s with only running about 30 miles worth of MMO through it. I am not even believing this stuff! Well, I should believe it, it worked miracles on the old Triumph too, many, many years ago, so why not on the Trooper too?

Thanks MMO for putting my mind at ease as I was not looking forward to putting $3,000 or so into the Trooper. Marvel Mystery Oil does it again!
END QUOTE

Hey, I know it might be premature praise, but, the change was almost INSTANT. If it doesn't last, or is not 'THE FIX OF ALL FIXES', I am man enough to come back and post that it wasn't / didn't cure it.
wv6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #34
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

I believe a lot of people have tried MM oil and either found no change in noise, or only a temporary change.

It's great that it works in yours.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #35
Headnsouth
AF Regular

Sea Foam is tough on seals and I wouldn't use it in the crankcase with your oil. MMO never helped me either. This product although more expensive does the job its advertised to do.
I've used this in 3 of my vehicles and have been amazed with the results. From increased compression, smoother running and quiteter.

www.auto-rx.com
read more about this product here
www.bobistheoilguy.com look in the oil additives section.
Headnsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #36
wv6z
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Fever
I believe a lot of people have tried MM oil and either found no change in noise, or only a temporary change.

It's great that it works in yours.
Well we'll see what happens. The trip home this morning was a nice quiet one, so that's about 105 miles or so so far. Time will tell.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #37
kaufmanp92eb
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kaufmanp92eb

i got a 96 3.2 with 210k miles on it. This thing has had ticking come and go ever since I bought it. Driving me crazy. Tried sea foam, and it worked well the ticking stopped for about three oil changes. Then back to same old story. Ticking like I had no oil in the damn thing. finally figured I would try rislone. Had to replace the oil cooler o-ring, so I changed the oil and filter at the same time. dumped in a bottle of rislone, and in about 30 seconds the ticking was substantially quieter. still there, but about 10% compared to what it used to be. so far so good. hopefully it will last longer than the seafoam. altogether my engine seems to be running smoother and quieter than before.

95.5 Rodeo 3.2l 5spd. 160k miles
Short ram intake, otherwise all stock

95 Galant 2.4 sohc
newest addition to collection
kaufmanp92eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #38
Headnsouth
AF Regular

As mentioned try Auto-rx. You won't be disappointed.
www.auto-rx.com
Headnsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #39
kaufmanp92eb
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kaufmanp92eb

if the rislone turns out to be a temporary fix then I will deffinately try auto-rx. I can't stand it when it ticks like I have no oil.

95.5 Rodeo 3.2l 5spd. 160k miles
Short ram intake, otherwise all stock

95 Galant 2.4 sohc
newest addition to collection
kaufmanp92eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #40
wv6z
AF Newbie

250 miles and the ticking is back...... only about 20% of what it was, but it's back. Guess the next try will be Auto-RX.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #41
ksultz
AF Newbie

I have a 95 rodeo (138000 miles) with the same ticking problem...Changed the oil and filter(fram) and added rislone. After 2 weeks no change...same loud ticking. Decided to try somethig else... Added seafoam and the ticking went away within 5 miles...left the seafoam in over a 4 day period...about 60 to 80 miles. Changed the oil again and added a Napa gold filter this time...also added CD-2. Ticking has not returned. In my oppinion seafoam works...just don't leave it in more than 100 miles...and use a napa gold filter.
ksultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #42
wv6z
AF Newbie

I'm not really wild about running solvents through the engine, but anyway, I dumped the oil on Wednesday the 30th, have put almost 700 miles on it since with a quart of Rislone replacing a quart of 5w30, engine was quiet within 20 miles and has been quiet ever since. I am still adding about 8 ozs. of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas on fill ups too..... can't hurt anyway...... I guess we will see how this does now.

FWIW, my ticking wasn't extreme as compared to my friend's two Rodeos, but it was noticeable. I just didn't want it to get worse or reach the point where it got louder.

A question..... has anyone tried running Rislone as a quart of oil replacement 'every' time they have done an oil change? What do you guys think about that or would it help as like a PM to stop the ticking noise from returning, or, has anyone kept the ticking noise away by always running a quart of Rislone?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #43
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Thing is, there is no guarantee the ticking on your engine is caused from clogged oil passages, it could be caused from mechanical reasons that could only be eliminated with new parts.....there have been a few owners who have replaced internal parts due to the ticking and it has resolved the issue. This may be what is needed on your truck rather then a quart of Rislone with every oil change.

I personally would only run a good quality oil with an excellent filter and maybe shorten the amount of time that I ran each oil interval, I've never been one for adding anything to my oil without knowing the true reason behind what the problem is I'm trying to cure.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #44
wv6z
AF Newbie

Gospel, unfortunately when you have only owned the vehicle for the past 1,000 miles and got what will hopefully turn out to be an excellent deal on a now 11 year old reasonably priced low mileage vehicle, you cannot persecute someone for trying to do a $3 fix, which may very well solve the engines issues, rather than the obvious option which will cost between 1,000 and 2,000 times more.

Anybody knows that proper preventative maintenance has no substitute, unfortunately there is no way to go back in time and do it right the second time around and as you and I would both have an difficult time finding a zero mileage 1997 Isuzu, although I appreciate your opinion, I will try to save my money just in the odd event that a quart of Rislone will take care of my troubles, so far it has.

Once again, I simply asked, if anybody is running a quart of Rislone continually, as a PM effort to keep the ticking gremilins at bay, if not, at what frequency are they using it?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #45
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

I most surely am not trying to hamper your cravings for finding a resolution. Believe me I give you credit for trying instead of the hundreds of other vehicle owners who think their vehicles are lost causes....my brother in law included.

All I'm saying, is with my having owned 2 Rodeo's I've been on numerous Isuzu boards/forums and have read a gazzillion posts of owners trying this and that to decrease the *tick*....most of the time it's just the nature of the beast, these are noisey engines.

Other times I have heard of owners having to replace parts, even WITH routine maintenance since new.

I was simply trying to say that their was no guarantee that your noise was just due to clogged passages, that's all.

If my truck sounded as bad as others due, believe me, I too would be trying everything to decrease the sound aside from opening the engine.

In fact, there was a short time from 148k to 153k miles where my engine DID sound like a timebomb ready to go off, I freaked and started trying every oil thinking that it was something to do with the havoline oil I had always used prior. Turned out to be a failing waterpump/timing belt tensioner.

But, by no means was I aiming to put down your efforts, only give advise in the fact that even WITH every 3k mile oil changes, these engines DO make noise. I have read so many posts of owners who have ALWAYS changed their oil religiously and still end up with the dread full tick, that's all I was trying to say.

No I don't and have never used Risoline.....keep us posted. Good luck.