Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
jesselv
AF Newbie

Is it a tranie or electrical problem?

Driving down the road and noticed that although my 2001 rodeo was in drive the dash read reverse. Moving the shift knob down results in the gear indicator light moving in opposite direction. The first time this happened the trans starting clunking as when I accelerated like it couldn't decide what gear it should be in. The next day the trans seemed to be shifting okay but indicator still showed wrong gear. Its been really humid in my area the last few days is it possible the humidity is screwing with the electronic shift module(not sure I have gotten the nomenclature right) or is the trans going out. It's been leaking fluid for awhile so I'm also considering it's low on fluid but that wouldn't account for the trans indicator lights showing the wrong gear. Any advice or help much appreciated. Also, if it's the ESM is that something a novice could buy and replace fairly easily.

Just read that something called a range sensor could be at fault and is something that can be removed and cleaned(the contacts). Anyone else out there experienced this problem?

update: Took it to a trans shop and they fixed the leaks coming from both the accumalator and gear select, that cost me $241. Apparently their was trans fluid that flooded the contacts of whatever module might be down there on the trans body and it was cleaned out. Everything is working fine as far as the indicator lights showing proper gear and no leaks. The trans still feels sluggish like the vehicle is being pulled back but I guess with 170k you can't expect miracles. Hope it lasts untill I can afford a new car.

Indicator not working again but it appears there are no leaks. No idea what's going on and this site is apparently useless. Guess I'm headed to the dealer to get robbed.

Last edited by jesselv; 07-29-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: problem not fixed
jesselv is offline   Reply With Quote