Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
chaurik
AF Newbie

5.7 vortec towing

Hi guys. This is my first post and have been a member for about a month. I have a '99 burb 4x4 with 5.7 and have been doing alot more towing lately. I haven't had any major issues with loads up to 7000# with the exception of certain hills, but I am looking to gain some mpg. and maybe some power cheap. It has a K&N filter and I have gotten rid of the central sequential junk under the intake with a plug and play conversion kit and that made quite a diff. Thought about exhaust but would never get it past my wife and have heard mixed results with exhaust. programmers???? I don't know anything about them and have heard mixed on those with stock components. Any advice is appreciated.
chaurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 5.7 vortec towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaurik View Post
Hi guys. This is my first post and have been a member for about a month. I have a '99 burb 4x4 with 5.7 and have been doing alot more towing lately. I haven't had any major issues with loads up to 7000# with the exception of certain hills, but I am looking to gain some mpg. and maybe some power cheap. It has a K&N filter and I have gotten rid of the central sequential junk under the intake with a plug and play conversion kit and that made quite a diff. Thought about exhaust but would never get it past my wife and have heard mixed results with exhaust. programmers???? I don't know anything about them and have heard mixed on those with stock components. Any advice is appreciated.
It is hard to get power and MPH togeter.
And with a big sub and 4W and low gears and trailor towing good MPG is
going to be hard to get.

Give it a good AC delco tune up.

Pitch the K&N And leave the rest of it alone.

Your OEM exhaust is the best exhaust system you can get.

Most programers and chips are set up for more power but with more power and big foot your gas mileage goes away.

Also seting up a programer or chip on it is a illegal operation.
As in tappering with emmisions.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I'll second MT. If you want the towing capability, you're gonna sacrifice MPGs.

Keep 'er tuned up, clean the IAC, PCV, and EGR valves and check for vacuum leaks that could cause you to run rich.

If you know you've been running rich (if you tow that much weight alot then my guess is you're hammer down much of the time), check the cat for obstruction due to it partially melting (they get super hot when catalyzing the excess fuel into CO2 and water). If it needs replacing, you can consider a higher-flow cat and a cat-back exhaust system. The performance gain is minimal, but they cost little more than an OEM replacement. I will suggest that if you tow long distances to consider a quieter system to reduce interior noise.

Also, replace the O2 sensors if you're over 100k. These can contribute to poor efficiency as they age.

Finally, when you're not towing, take it easy on the throttle. All the standard driving tips apply...no jack-rabbit starts, coast to the next light in traffic, smooth acceleration to get to the highest gear and TC lockup quickly. You're most efficient when your at the speed just above TC lockup...45-55 mph. You have no slippage in the tranny and wind resistance is still fairly low. Go above 60-65 and you start battling drag.

Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaurik View Post

programmers do create better customized performance. however more power will mean lower gas MPG...

since towing heavy loads are frequent , I would use only synthetic transmission fluids and engine oil synthetic.

I gained alittle over 1 MPG when I got rid of the non synthetic.

the rear diff oil with these loads requires frequent changing. the diff gets hot. do this when the fluid gets dark. probably every 20 - 30,000mi with your towing use.

the O2 sensors get worked hard with this towing , make sure they [upstream] get replaced if they are past 100,ooomi.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
jtmarten
AF Regular

I use a F.A.S.T. programmer for my '96. Lets you adjust engine and trans programs separately. Not something you want to change often, unless you like reprogramming the radio each time (several fuses must be removed to flash the ECU).

There is no way to get good mpg, even with the 5.7, especially when towing. A Banks system (CAI, headers/full exhaust system) would prob give good gains in power and mpg if they're still available, but they're pricey.
I'm lucky to get 11.5-12mpg hwy, and 9-ish towing an 8000-8500lb boat.
1980 Bradley GT2 96v Electric
1978 GMC Royale Motorhome
1978 Glastron/Carlson CV23; 460/Berk JE jet
jtmarten is offline   Reply With Quote