Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Tribute
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
burl
AF Newbie

'03 Rotor Wear

I was checking the brakes on my '03 Trib the other day, 43K, the pads are getting thin, but the rotors have a 3/32" ridge on the very outer edge, both inside and outside. This means that the rotor is losing metal. I've seen rotors get "grooved", but never the full width of the pad. The rotors are baby-a$$ smooth, just worn. And I know with this wear they will not pass specs. The brakes are good, everything cool, just in my 50 years I've never seen rotors wear like this. Is this normal? Are these rotors expensive? Thanks for the replies.
burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
TomV
AF Regular

Cool

I bought a used 92 and had to replace the rotors at about 20K miles. They had developed ribs on them (I guess wide worn spots rather than a few grooves). I think there may be a service bulletin on this, but I replaced them before I found out about it. I have some Raybestos pads and rotors (low dust style) since dust can be an issue with my fancy wheels.

I have over 10K on these new guys and they appear to be wearing very smoothly.
TomV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
burl
AF Newbie

An update, the Trib was in the dealer for other things (air bag light, seat, etc.) and I mentioned the rotors to the service mgr.. He did a brake job and replaced the rotors for $80. He said the rotors were free because it was under 50K (47K). Also, the brake pads are lifetime guarantee, they will replace them for just a labor charge, around $45. Try to get that at your Ford dealer.
burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
AlohaBra
AF Enthusiast

Re: '03 Rotor Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burl
I was checking the brakes on my '03 Trib the other day, 43K, the pads are getting thin, but the rotors have a 3/32" ridge on the very outer edge, both inside and outside. This means that the rotor is losing metal. I've seen rotors get "grooved", but never the full width of the pad. The rotors are baby-a$$ smooth, just worn. And I know with this wear they will not pass specs. The brakes are good, everything cool, just in my 50 years I've never seen rotors wear like this. Is this normal? Are these rotors expensive? Thanks for the replies.
No...I got two for $100 ....made in Taiwan...from Monument Auto in Nor-Cal ....that is northern California to the rest of the states.

The pads are only good for about 30K...I have had two sets in 60K.
AlohaBra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
scarrcop
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 Tribute and have had very good luck with it so far. The one problem I had was that when the pads needed to be replaced at 25K so did the rotors. I've never heard of that and did some research. This appears to be common place in the Tribute. The Dealer told me this was normal ware and tear for the Tribute. I tend to disagree. I replaced the rotors with "slot and drilled" rotors in the hopes that they would not wear as badly. I now have 44K on the vehicle and the rotors have minimal wear. Now that's more like it. The new rotors cost me $120 with shiping. I don't expect to replace them every time I have to change the pads now. I'll keep you posted.
scarrcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
AlohaBra
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrcop
I have a 2001 Tribute and have had very good luck with it so far. The one problem I had was that when the pads needed to be replaced at 25K so did the rotors. I've never heard of that and did some research. This appears to be common place in the Tribute. The Dealer told me this was normal ware and tear for the Tribute. I tend to disagree. I replaced the rotors with "slot and drilled" rotors in the hopes that they would not wear as badly. I now have 44K on the vehicle and the rotors have minimal wear. Now that's more like it. The new rotors cost me $120 with shiping. I don't expect to replace them every time I have to change the pads now. I'll keep you posted.
Where did you get those aftermarket rotors? I am interested in changing mine also next time.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
TomV
AF Regular

Cool

My parts guy at Pep Boys thought that the slotted and drilled rotors were good but will wear out the pads sooner.
TomV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
scarrcop
AF Newbie

Re: Re: '03 Rotor Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBra
Where did you get those aftermarket rotors? I am interested in changing mine also next time.
I purchased mine online back in Nov 2003, from http://www.raceshopper.com/sp_rotors.shtml. They had very good service and I had no problem what so ever with the company. I choose these rotors because of the way they drill and slot the rotors. (see website, but they have no sharp edges.) This is supposed to cut down on the wear on the pads. I can't tell you if it works or not, but it sounds logical. I purchased the Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors. I made a mistake about the price eariler. Sorry. My cost (2003) was $180.69 for two front rotor and 12.00 shiping. So far I have been very happy with them and I can see very little wear on the rotors. Everything seems to be where it should be for having an additional 20K. I hope this helps.
scarrcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
marcia13
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBra
No...I got two for $100 ....made in Taiwan...from Monument Auto in Nor-Cal ....that is northern California to the rest of the states.

The pads are only good for about 30K...I have had two sets in 60K.
I can relate. I took my 2003 Tribute with 30.500 miles in for its regular 30,000 mile service (and have always taken it in for scheduled services) only to learn that in addition to the hefty $ for the service, I had to replace pads and rotors. I was totally confused - why didn't they mention wear previously. Is it true as they say that you always have to replace rotors with pads? Got no brakes price wise and really don't understand how, with regular maintenence it could get to that point - cost me total $845 to get out of there. Is this really normal?
marcia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #10
AlohaBra
AF Enthusiast

Pads and rotors are a good idea. However since I do my own brake jobs (and used to be an ASE certified master technician) the cost was for parts only.
Pads cost $60.00. Rotors are 2 for $100. I didn't change my rotors at 30K although they were worn and had a squeal that needed attention. I finally replaced the pads with rotors at 60K.
Apparently, with the hard metallic pads now and cars that are front wheel drive the rotors wears out very quickly. They also use soft metal in the rotors to cut down on squealing. Sorry, that is the cost of owning a car.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Tribute