Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
kamciu80
AF Newbie

window help

i have a 1993 318is e36 and i have a huge problem with my passenger window . the lifting is fine when i close the door(the 1/4 lift when dooe closes) but the window doesn't go up or down. i checked the switch and there is power running to the motor or maybe i should say the black box by the motor.the drivers side is fine just the passenger.i heard some thing about breakers????maybe its the black box by the motor what is that ??could that be it ???please help me please!!!!!
kamciu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
crazy cajun
AF Newbie

Re: window help

on my 325 above the radio is a breaker switch but if 1 window is working and the other is not you have a problem in the motor not the breaker switch

1997 Dodge ram 1500 V-8

1980 Yamaha XS850SG Special
crazy cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
kamciu80
AF Newbie

does anone have a motor for the passenger side 318 window coupe. the window lifting works thought so does that mean that the motor works?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

from what you wrote, it sounds like a bad switch, which is the most common failure. youill notice 2 plugs at the 'motor unit' and i'll double check tomorrow but you'll always have B+ & B- @ the unit, the switches are only low current signal types and the 'overload protection' is done by the ZKE [ central body elec. ] the motor is ok since the 10mm open/close function works....there's no way to judge the 'hall effect' circuit since the window won't move and total 'control unit' failure isn't the problem since the door open/close feature works. these cars get several failure symptoms and yours sure sounds like the switch. NOTE : the door must be closed OR the door latch switch closed to do any t-shooting on coupes............jb.
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
kamciu80
AF Newbie

re:window help

ok i checked to see if there was power coming from the power window switch by the gear shifter to the black box next to the motor.the regulator?? and when i hit the window switch down or up the volt meter jumped. so there is power getting to that black box. however when i do hit that switch something else happens .the relay i think they are in that box make a clicking sound. so if there is a current going to that box by the motor and the 10mm lifting works what else can it be . the black box next to the motor that clicks when i hit the window switch?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:17 PM   #6
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

yes, it 'sounds' like a bad window control unit, but your problem is uncommon. usually, the symptom is a start-stop action of the window due to a failed 'hall-effect' circuit in the control unit/motor assembly........if you can wait 'til tues., i'll check a schematic to double 'check' myself. didn't have time today, besides, replacing the wrong part is REALLY expensive...........jb.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
BMW kid
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BMW kid
Re: Re: window help

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy cajun
on my 325 above the radio is a breaker switch but if 1 window is working and the other is not you have a problem in the motor not the breaker switch
Where is this breaker located? I remember you said something about a red switch above radio, but I have a new radio installed, so I dont know where the switch is. Do you know where it would be?Thanks in advance.
BMW kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #8
crazy cajun
AF Newbie

Mine is located on the side of the hazard light directly above the radio the switches look alike except the breaker switch when kicked off it has red half way down the side other then that it looks like all the other switches

1997 Dodge ram 1500 V-8

1980 Yamaha XS850SG Special
crazy cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #9
kamciu80
AF Newbie

attention jb

hey jb thanks for your help when you find out the rest of the info let me know ok. i i started to play around with the motor , moving it around etc, and the window went down accually but not up, so my problem might be the motor then huh ?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #10
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

hey kamcui80.....zoookay now...THE WINDOW WENT DOWN ?...hummm...first,..no wait ! ! you move the motor around ? the regultors are riveted to the door skin [unless it's been replaced] and the 'motor' screws in from the inside so nothing should move.....are the regulator arms still attached to the door glass ? ? [ the plastic guide bushings do break, it so, they just slide out of the metal channel and back in for replacement ]
**assuming all's mechanically in order.................
to eliminate the switch question, swap the 'GOOD' L/S switch for the R/S switch and see if the window works. REASON is [as i thought but had to check] the switch is only a GROUND signal for the window module. you said the volt meter 'jumped' but you really need to watch what it 'DOES'. WITH everything connected & @ the module connector, when you push the CLOSE position of the switch, the BLACK wire should show 0.0 volts.
push the OPEN position and the VIOLET wire should read 0.0 volts. we're not going to get too much deeper here but if you must know, in AUTO UP or AUTO DOWN, both wires will show 0.0 volts, AND YES, with the switch in the OFF position, both wires will show about 12.0 volts.
IF this makes ANY sense to you and you can find more out, I'll be here somewhere.....good fortune !
Old 06-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

pssssst, BMW kid, we need to know if you have an E30 or E36 body.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:56 PM   #12
kamciu80
AF Newbie

ok so i will check the wiring instruction tommorrow.hope i can find someting out. let me say that you've been a great help so far, so thank you !! what i meant by moving the motor around is , i took the metal cylinder looking cover off. the cover is held by four screws(star screws?).when i move that cover around i guess it was making contact with something??? the inside of the motor loooks like it has magnets around it right. so as i moved this cover around i started to hit the down button on the switch then the window would react .only down though not up it would react.and when it went down it was not all the way down only a couple inches at a time .i think something made contact .however i talked to a friend today and he said that the black box where all the wires clips go i think its called the regulator is the problem.i will though check those wiring instruction you gave me tommorrow. let say that i need a new motor and regulator though you have any ideas as to where i can get one for a reasonable price?oh yea and i did swap the switches and still nothing the drivers window works fine as it did before and the passenger nothing .does it matter that when i checked the volts i checked it on the wire clip that clips into the regulator not on the switch(the two clips that go into the regulator on with one wire and the other with i think if i remember right with 5 or so.
kamil
Old 06-29-2004, 08:12 AM   #13
curvec
AF Newbie

Angry

Hi,

Hey im in australia and its amazing as I have exactly the same problem for the drivers side (Right hand side). Mines a 93 318is, the problem for me is intermittent. One minute the drivers window works perfectly, the next it wont budge an inch. Ive gone through the same troubleshooting so theres no prob with the switches as ive tested them by swapping and also I hear the clicking sound as well. Though when mine is stuck the open / close 1/2 inch move does not work either.

Ive taken the door trim off and removed the cover of the black regulator boxx and yes get the clicking as well. Have disconnected the motor as you said and it did start working again. The only response ive had is the std you need a new motor which is $800 in australia - *YUK* and seeing as it works perfectly when its operational i dont beleive its the motor but some small electrical gremlin.

To be honest this problem is really annoying the hell outta me cause its totally unpredictable, itll work fine when i leave home and then mid way just get stuck in the up position and i cant work out a fix for it at all. One thing i do find - and I dont recommend it is that when my window is not working, the best approach for me is to slam the door hard and then all of a sudden it starts working again. How stupid is that! Anyways the only responses ive had is get a new motor but i dont want to fork out $800.00 for a new one, so would be interested to see if you get to the bottom of this I really am at a loss myself.

By the way I have replaced the comfort control relay and that made no difference to this problem.

Hey and also, pulling off the door trim (ive done it numerous times to fiddle round behind at the motor), have you found that the glue has perished and the cardboardy bits fall off? this has happened to me - i have also busted some - 50% of the clips so now the door isnt secured properly, just another annoying by product i guess grrrS!

Any further info on this hugely appreicateD!
curvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:24 PM   #14
jnowak515
AF Newbie

You may want to check the relay which controls the window. I had an intermittent problem with my windows not working and it ended up being a bad solder joint on the printed circuit board for the relay. This relay is located under the steering wheel. The cowling had to be removed to access it. Unfortunately it was long enough ago that I do not remember the exact location or the relay identification. Someone with a wiring diagram should be able to trace that out for you. Good luck.
jnowak515 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series