Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 07:26 PM   #1
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Hi! I have a 91 323, unfortionatly its nothing special, and I know I cant hope for large preformance increases from the 1.6 SOHC engine. Im just wondering what on this car i can mod, and if there are any suggestions which parts would give the most increase in power. I am just looking to "play" with it a bit and maybe get away from the lights a bit quicker.

Thanks in advance:bandit:
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 03:48 AM   #2
familia
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to familia
Well i have a'91 familia (323) also, but i luckily have the 1.8l turbo 4wd variant

If you're just looking for a bit of extra poke, get a decent air intake./filter setup, a 2 - 2.5 inch exhaust system from the cat back, and perhaps some headers as well..

www.corksport.com carries a lot of mazda preformance stuff...
:alien2:

'91 Mazda Familia GTX
familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 08:15 AM   #3
stig
AF Newbie

323 mods

I have an '88 with the same engine. Oddly enough, with the number of these engines in use (Ford, Mazda, Kia all use it) there are very few specific mods available. I had the rear box of my exhaust replaced with a DynoMax Muffler & larger (they say don't go larger than 2.25") tail pipe. Most of the the exhaust restriction in my car was in this area - one look at the tailpipe & that becomes obvious.

Good luck finding an air intake set up.These guys: http://www.itgairfilters.com might make one, but I assume it will be costly. PRM makes one, they are about $300.00 CDN. My setup is a Toyota AFM adaptor & a Hiper cone filter (This guy turned me on to this setup: http://students.washington.edu/ruthless/index.htm) . This cost me about $70.00 CDN from Ebay.

Superchips does a chip for this engine. Their site says $295.00 US which is a little rich for my blood.

Corksport does a cam & header for the 1.6l sohc, they might be worth looking at....

Don't forget plugs, wires & distributor cap. I got some Bosch platinum plus 4 & some NGK high performance wires from Canadian Tire, the engine seemed much crisper after that switch.

Good Luck!
stig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro