Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
frpthlgy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to frpthlgy Send a message via Yahoo to frpthlgy
Angry check engine light on and O/D off light blinking

I am a woman with 2 small kids, and I have a 99 kia sephia and the check engine light came on yesterday and at the same time the O/D off light started blinking. I took the car to my local autozone and they read the trouble codes which were:1624(anti-theft system) which i didn't even know i had, and 0740(the torque converter engagement or circuit malfunction.) I called kia but trhe said i'd have to bring the car in which I live 2 hrs away from them. Does anyone know what is going on or what to replace?

Marlo
frpthlgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
cbeck
AF Regular

Re: check engine light on and O/D off light blinking

Could be as simple as low fluid or an air leak... The only way to tell will be to have someone take a look. Jiffy lube will usually check fluid level for you for free... and they can tell you if the fluid looks bad as well. If the fluid level checks fine, my opinion is you will need to take it to a mechanic. Well, two mechanics at least..
Old 06-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
frpthlgy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: check engine light on and O/D off light blinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeck
Could be as simple as low fluid or an air leak... The only way to tell will be to have someone take a look. Jiffy lube will usually check fluid level for you for free... and they can tell you if the fluid looks bad as well. If the fluid level checks fine, my opinion is you will need to take it to a mechanic. Well, two mechanics at least..
Well, my tranny fluid level is fine. I had it checked. I also replaced the air filter, and that was nasty. But it still has the same problems. Plus now when I changed the spark plugs there was oil on the #1 and #3 cylinder. Which I know I need to replace the valve cover gasket to fix that because I can visually see the leak. Which I have to buy from the dealer. I have called the dealership and they tell me that my car doesn't even have a tranny fluid filter. And I had already purchased one from autozone. When I had taken the car in for the recalls it had on it. The techs there couldn't even find the tranny's dipstick. They don't know anything there. And if I could afford to take it to a mechanic or 2 mechanics, I wouldn't be on this forum. I'd rather do the work myself. So, if anyone could help me figure this out.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
fastkia
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to fastkia

kia's don't use 1624 anti-theft codes p1624 is mil request which means your trans computer wants you to look at it. in simple words
fastkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
frpthlgy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkia
kia's don't use 1624 anti-theft codes p1624 is mil request which means your trans computer wants you to look at it. in simple words
How do I need to look at it? What do I need to do?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:23 AM   #6
fastkia
AF Regular

it wanted u to look at the other codes like the 0740 you got there I sent you a pm on all this
Old 06-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
frpthlgy
AF Newbie

I never received the PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
fastkia
AF Regular

not sure if you are the same person at the kia forum but if your not then here it is. very sadly "you might need a transmission"
Old 06-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
frpthlgy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkia
not sure if you are the same person at the kia forum but if your not then here it is. very sadly "you might need a transmission"
Thanks for telling me that, but so far since the codes were cleared and the spark plugs and air filter were replaced, it hasn't threw the codes again and the lights hasn't came back on. And I have read on ALOT of other web sites that the TCM is bad to send false readings in these cars. That the tranny is usually not the problem, it is elseware.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #10
tasha1127
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to tasha1127

I have a 2000 Sephia, and mine does the same thing, I find that when it does this its low on oil. I put more oil in it and drive it, and not long after the lights go out.
Tasha
tasha1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
sweeti79
AF Newbie

Hey I am writing about your overdrive light and check engine light. My 99 Sephia did the same thing but I got the codes P1624 and P0732 and I had the gears in my transmission fixed over two years ago. The codes just popped up for no reason and stayed on for a few days and then went off by themselves. Did you have any more problems? If not I think whoever told you that they give false readings was right. I have a son too and I can't afford to run to the dealer to fix things. I am going to get rid of this car as soon as I can afford to.
If you have had any more problems or have any advice please let me know.
sweeti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
sweeti79
AF Newbie

Hey I am writing about your overdrive light and check engine light. My 99 Sephia did the same thing but I got the codes P1624 and P0732 and I had the gears in my transmission fixed way before the lights came on, over two years ago. The codes just popped up for no reason and stayed on for a few days and then went off by themselves. Did you have any more problems? If not I think whoever told you that they give false readings was right. I have a son too and I can't afford to run to the dealer to fix things. I am going to get rid of this car as soon as I can afford to.
sweeti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
MeettheCreeper
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeti79
Hey I am writing about your overdrive light and check engine light. My 99 Sephia did the same thing but I got the codes P1624 and P0732 and I had the gears in my transmission fixed way before the lights came on, over two years ago. The codes just popped up for no reason and stayed on for a few days and then went off by themselves. Did you have any more problems? If not I think whoever told you that they give false readings was right. I have a son too and I can't afford to run to the dealer to fix things. I am going to get rid of this car as soon as I can afford to.
Adding oil to the engine is not going to solve this problem. Neither is adding trans fluid.

The problem is electrical and usually caused by ground problems. If the repairs are not made to fix the grounds, usually the trans. ends up failing.

There are several grounds on the vehicle that need to be cleaned and or updated but would not be easy to explain how to do this on this forum.

This is what I would do. Go to the dealer and have them update the grounds per Kias bulletin.

If that does not fix it the damage is usually done and the trans needs to be replaced.
MeettheCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
frpthlgy
AF Newbie

I'm sorry you are having problems with your car I know how that goes. Well, for starters, I've never had any work done to my tranny. I disconnected my battery, then reconnected it. The light never came on again, but before I did that I changed my spark plugs and found that they had alot of oil on them. I then researched to find out what caused that and was told to change my valve cover gasket. which I ordered online at www.kiaparts.com. I replaced the valve cover gasket which is so easy you can do yourself. That stopped the oil from leaking into my spark plug wells. I also cahnged my air filter, another one you can do yourself. after doing all of that I haven't had any problems and have put another 40000 miles on it since then. all that had happened was with the oil being on my spark plugs sent false readings to my computer. Just check those spark plugs and see if there is oil on them and then go from there. By the way, the valve cover gasket is really cheap. Let me know if you need anything else. I've done a ton of research on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeti79
Hey I am writing about your overdrive light and check engine light. My 99 Sephia did the same thing but I got the codes P1624 and P0732 and I had the gears in my transmission fixed over two years ago. The codes just popped up for no reason and stayed on for a few days and then went off by themselves. Did you have any more problems? If not I think whoever told you that they give false readings was right. I have a son too and I can't afford to run to the dealer to fix things. I am going to get rid of this car as soon as I can afford to.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
frpthlgy
AF Newbie

change your valve cover gasket, and that should correct your problem with losing oil. You are probably losing it into your spark plug wells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha1127
I have a 2000 Sephia, and mine does the same thing, I find that when it does this its low on oil. I put more oil in it and drive it, and not long after the lights go out.
Tasha

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia