Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 AM   #16
darkprincess0330
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to darkprincess0330
Re: Importing Focus RS to the US

The head gasket is on the engine and a spark plug goes near the heads of the engine.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:33 PM   #17
focusfreak
AF Enthusiast

Wasn't this forum about importing the Focus RS to the united states? Not what I know and where a spark plug goes. But at least you have a general idea of where things are.
focusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 02:38 AM   #18
oi_boy
AF Enthusiast

no not really, because the stick and the steering wheel dont need to be moved. 1...rhd cars have the exact same shift pattern as US spec cars and the e-brake is even on the same side. 2, many many many cars here in the US have rhd and dont have any problems. As for emissions, if its UK legal, it wont be hard to make it US legal, more than likley a new cat would do the job. As for crash saftey, just pull the US spec bumper supports off and toss em on the RS and it should be good to go.
oi_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #19
fordesigner
AF Regular

RHD...
Many Euro countries have LHD. Germany to name one. Importing a RS with LHD will speed up the process of getting it into this country. If you were purchasing the RS new, I believe you'd get more than some minor questioning of why you didn't get it with LHD.

Emissions...
This will include tuning. We do not get 105 oct. gas. But your correct, thisa shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Crash...
This will not be as easy. It's a welded set up made of harden spring steel. It takes carbide tools to cut. So you'll have to replace everything from the front wheels forward. The RS bumper cover will not go over the US bumper assembly. The foam is larger and so it the metal, in both length and width. So how do you flow from the widened fenders to a modified US bumper cover or modified RS cover.

Or you can know someone at Ford or Cosworth that can help pull one over....

But then again with around only 180 whp (with US gas) it just may not be worth it......
A standard ZX3 with a Precision turbo kit, Tien coilovers, a couple poly bushings and Wilwood brakes will own it in every catagory and cost less. Even if you had a shop install the parts.

And Al Bundy IS my role model.

Member FME and SAAC-MCR
fordesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #20
focusfreak
AF Enthusiast

your so smart fordesigner.
Why not use a brembo brake set up instead of wilwood? and eibach suspension instead of tien?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:05 PM   #21
thunderbird muscle
AF Enthusiast

Why not just do what you want to do and not rely on what others would do.

If Ford would make the RS for the U.S. it would be worth it, but until then I personally wouldn't waste the doughe.(just my opinion)

Racing a Honda is like being in the special olympics even if you win your still retarded!
thunderbird muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:12 PM   #22
focusfreak
AF Enthusiast

how can you waste money if your putting your time and effort into your car? your car should be like your child.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:38 AM   #23
fordesigner
AF Regular

Re: Re: Importing Focus RS to the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusfreak
your so smart fordesigner.
Why not use a brembo brake set up instead of wilwood? and eibach suspension instead of tien?
I looked into the TCE/Wilwood set up. They are excellent. More of a serious track brake set up. TCE will build you whatever you want or need. NDL caliper, FSL caliper.... whatever your requirements are. Pad selection too. Need thicker rotors??? Since it's a two piece set up, it's possible. Why go with a one size fits all Brem, when you can get exactly what you need. Cheaper too, most likely.

I've have had the Eibachs with Konis. While this is an excellent set up, it can be improved. The Eibachs shocks are not adjustable. With the Tein coilovers, you get great adjustability. It matters. When I had the Konis on the track, I had two settings. Early morning(cold track) and afternoon (hot track). Now with the Teins, I have three settings and I don't have to get out of the car to adjust them. EDFC
With coilovers, most importantly, you can cross corner weight the car.

With the Focus's passive rear steering, it's all about handling. And you need the right parts and good ones to get the most from it.

That's my

Member FME and SAAC-MCR
Old 07-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #24
JC80
AF Regular

I'm in germany right now and fell in love with the RS as well when I saw it sitting on the show room floor of a local Ford Dealer..also with a hefty 29,000 euro price tag..not sure on the math but the conversion rate now is .78 equals a $. Alot of people do the conversions in the military and its really not that bad. Like someone said about the crash test thing, its really not that extensive tho..5mph bumpers and speedometer converted to mph instead of km and EPA regulated cat and exhaust and of course the good 'ol governer put in, also changing the VIN for stateside requirements..after that I don't think there is much else...conversions where I am cost apprx. $2500 and to ship to the closest port is $1300.
someone mentioned the skyline...I saw one about a week ago in the parking lot of a store around here and there were like 5 people outside taking pictures of it..it was kinda old, probably an R33 or later model but they are still hot. Too bad the states won't be leaniant on the right hand drive issues.
JC80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #25
fordesigner
AF Regular

You can get lhd Focus RS.

About the crash testing.....
It'll be your car they're crash testing. It will be totaled when they're done. And you'll pay for it. That's why updating to US bumpers would be easier...
Considering they're welded on... Crash padding is easier. But the stock RS bumper will not fit over the US crash pad or longer bumper. Front and rear will have to be modified. Like I said, knowing someone or company help would be of great help.

The governor is in the computer and is about the easiest thing to fix. You'll need the computer reflash to accommodate the EPA cold start requirements and lower oct. gas, so it can easily be loaded then. But strictly speaking, the whole speed governor thing isn't required. That's part of the auto companies not wanting to get sued. It's a big part of the "Firestone/Ford tire" deal. Let's see, overload the tires, under inflate them and then drive well over the tire's rated towing speed limit. Then when they blow, we blame everyone, but our dumbass. Ford vehicle's speed limits are based on Ford's tire choice and recommendations, not the government.
Ford GT limited to around 150 mph
Focus limited to around 107 mph.
SVT Lightning is unlimited. The truck can not overcome it's aerodynamic limitations to overload the tire's limits.

Member FME and SAAC-MCR

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max