Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
2000oldsilh
AF Newbie

P1404 p0420 p0141

My van idles kind of rough. I pulled those codes. P1404, P0420 and P0141. The first one is related to the EGR valve and next two are related to the oxygen sensor. Are those codes related to each other? I read a few posts about cleaning the EGR valve. What do you clean it with?

Thanks,
2000oldsilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
roadrunner2
AF Regular

Re: P1404 p0420 p0141

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000oldsilh View Post
My van idles kind of rough. I pulled those codes. P1404, P0420 and P0141. The first one is related to the EGR valve and next two are related to the oxygen sensor. Are those codes related to each other? I read a few posts about cleaning the EGR valve. What do you clean it with?

Thanks,
I seen one post that mentioned using a carb cleaner and a toothbrush.

PO1404 means 'EGR valve closed pintle position'.

The PCM controls the EGR flow rate by energizing the EGR valve solenoid coil, opening or closing the EGR passage in small increments.
The PCM monitors the EGR valve pintle position with an EGR position sensor built into the EGR valve. I took this from my Haynes 2000 Silhouette manual.

PO141 means 'O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (downstream)' meaning the senor after the cat converter. Keyword here is CIRCUIT.

PO420 means 'Catalyst system efficiency below threshold'(This suggests the cat is plugging up or is plugged) That doesn't mean it IS.

You may have to replace the egr valve, but do a complete check of the valve with a scan tool first before tearing things apart.

There is a good chance it's just a loose or broken wire to the egr valve harness connector.

We can always hope eh?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
duke350
AF Regular

First thing I would check would be the wiring to the EGR valve. Once you check that, take it out and clean it up. They carbon up and stick. A shop will just replace them, but most times a good cleaning will make them work just fine again. This could also trigger your other codes. Always work on codes in the order the appear.
duke350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
2000oldsilh
AF Newbie

Thank you guys for quick response. First I will take out EGR valve and clean it, and then I will see .
2000oldsilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

be sure to get the valve seat clean where the pintle valve seats. once you think you have it clean then spray some cleaner and see if the seat will hold the cleaner and not let it leak by it.if it leaks then it is not clean or it is worn out.the pintle valve has to move freely and it has to seat and seal when seated.i have cleaned a couple of hundred with just plain ole carb cleaner over the years and only ended up buying three new ones.if the gasket tears when you take it apart be sure to get a new gasket before putting it back on. the o2 sensors can also be cleaned if the have buildup on them using a fine brush and carb cleaner.
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette