Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
2002sienna
AF Newbie

Can't Pump Gas - 2002 Sienna

2002 Toyota Sienna
when pumping gas, after a gallon or so, the gas started bubbling back up and spilling out. I have to remove nozzle from tube and pump from outside, watching as the gas bubbles to the top.

HELP!
2002sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Doug Tatham
AF Enthusiast

Re: Can't Pump Gas - 2002 Sienna

I haven't had this happen to me before, so I can only come up with a couple guesses based on the fact that if fuel is to go into the tank, air has to leave.
1. Does the gas station nozzle have a wide plastic acordian stlye sleeve to reduce lost vapors? If so, it may not be allowing the air in the tank to escape.
2. Running along the fuel filling tube to the gas tank is a smaller vent tube that allows the air in the tank to escape when you add gas.
a. Check where the fuel vent connects to the fill seal and make sure you don't have any mud or dirt built up that is clogging the opening.
b. With the tank nearly empty (BE CAREFUL!) disconnect the vent tube from the tank, remove the gas cap, and blow a stream of air from an air compressor through the vent tube - the air should blow out the fill connection not into the tank- and make sure the vent is not clogged. If you try to blow a stream of air into the gas tank the fuel fill may not allow the air to escape rapidly enough, you may end up pressurizing the tank and having the gas spray all over you. This is a good one for safety goggles.
Doug Tatham is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna