Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
keith0681
AF Newbie

Question 1990 Acura won't start when hot or in the sun

I have a problem with my 1990 Acura integra GS. When i drive the car untill the engine gets hot and turn it off it won't start again untill the car cools off. Or if i have it parked in the sun it also won't start. It only starts when it is cool. I have read some forums with no success. I have read it may be my main relay that is causing it. If anyone have any info it would be greatly appreciated.
keith0681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
wiseguy01
AF Enthusiast

Lightbulb ignition

have ur ignition components checked i had that problem on my 93 accord it would warm up then shut off when i try to restart it it just turns and turns if this is what is happenin to u then ur icm ignition control module is bad. mine was 90.00 dollars but unfortunetly mine is burried in the distributor so i figured replaced the whole thing bcus there was 5 other little boxes in there and i only wanted to do it once.let me know what happens.
wiseguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
henpike
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Acura won't start when hot or in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith0681
I have a problem with my 1990 Acura integra GS. When i drive the car untill the engine gets hot and turn it off it won't start again untill the car cools off. Or if i have it parked in the sun it also won't start. It only starts when it is cool. I have read some forums with no success. I have read it may be my main relay that is causing it. If anyone have any info it would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Keith......I own a 90 Legend . I am having the same exact problem or it seems to be as what your experincing. Only in the hot weather this seems to be happening. Car does this randomly ! Like when it wants to. Starts fine then sometimes it wont start at all as if the battery is dead but its not. Very frustrating. If you know or hear of any solutions please get back to me if you can. Thanks !
henpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
3rdof8
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Acura won't start when hot or in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith0681
I have similar problem with my 1991 Acura Legend LS Coupe. I have 185K miles and the problem started about 4 months ago on hot day. I have determined that I'm not getting fuel flow. I have been told by someone at dealer that the problem is most likely solder at the fuel pump relay under the dash (not in fuse box). I'd rather try to solve the problem myself rather than pay them $280+ only to find that that not the problem.

I'd be interested in hearing how to solve it. (I haven't as yet found this relay!)
3rdof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
keith0681
AF Newbie

I finally fixed the problem. I replaced my distributor and now i have no problem starting it after it's been sitting in the sun for a long period of time or when i run to the store and shut it off. Now it's starts on a dime no matter how hot. This may or maynot be your problem because i have heard of the same problems being caused by a faulty main relay($65) but there is a way of checking your main relay(refer to owner's manual). Also i have heard of bad fuel pumps causing similar problems. I hope i shead a little light on your frustrating problem...trust me i know how frustrating it is..
keith0681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #6
AcuraOwner
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Solution for Non-start Problem in 1990 Acura Legend

After living with the intermittent problem of my 1990 Acura Legend not starting reliably, especially in warm or hot weather, over the course of a couple of years, and after spending a couple of thousand dollars on incorrect repairs with non-Acura dealers, I finally found an Acura dealer in Oakland California that diagnosed the problem and fixed it right away.

Apparently there is a chip that is designed to cut the engine in a roll-over situation. This chip malfunctioned causing the car to incorrectly cut out while starting, especially in hot weather. This chip was replaced, and the problem went away and hasn't returned. Sorry, but I don't know the name of the chip. Call the Oakland dealership if your dealer can't confirm this diagnosis and tell you what chip it is.
AcuraOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
R.W.
AF Newbie

Same exacy problem..Legend LS (90)

Right sfter shutting off when has been running ,engine will not fire for approx 30-45 seconds and only if pedal is held to floor. Sometimes have to quit turning motor over, and wait a few minutes. If you shut car off and go in someplace after 5 minutes or so car fires up immediately. Does this every time.
R.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:07 AM   #8
jmkelly45
AF Newbie

Re: Same exacy problem..Legend LS (90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.
Right sfter shutting off when has been running ,engine will not fire for approx 30-45 seconds and only if pedal is held to floor. Sometimes have to quit turning motor over, and wait a few minutes. If you shut car off and go in someplace after 5 minutes or so car fires up immediately. Does this every time.
Had a problem with a chip in my distributer. It was tempermental depending on how hot the weather and/or engine was. Wound up being a chip in the distributor. Not sure exactly in was called, some type of positioning sensor. You can grab one at a junkyard cheap...either the whole distributor or just the sensor inside it. I think it's a crank sensor but I'm not positive. You should get a check engine light code that will tell you. Took me 15 minutes and $10 to change mine on my 1988.
jmkelly45 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL