Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #16
SiennaTow
AF Newbie

Question Re: Trailer Hitch Scrapes Street

I am a newbie here. I have never towed anything. I want to install a new hitch to my '04 Sienna LE. I am planning to tow a Uhaul trailer (4 x 8) with the load of about 2k Lb (incl trailer). I will be going for about 1700 miles from ca to tx. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SiennaTow; 12-15-2004 at 08:02 PM.
SiennaTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
ldancey
AF Newbie

Re: Trailer Hitch Scrapes Street

Forget about a trailer hitch on any 04 Sienna unless you want to invest extra money into some kind of rear suspension lift kit. The rear suspension is very low. So low in fact if you put any weight at all in the back of the van, trailer hitch or anything else over 120 lb., oncoming drivers will continuously flash their high beams at you as the front end raises your headlight beam right into the oncoming drivers' eyes. They think you have your high beams on, but you don't!
ldancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #18
ldancey
AF Newbie

04 Sienna Trailer Hitch Hitting on Pavement

Forget about a trailer hitch on any 04 Sienna unless you want to invest extra money into some kind of rear suspension lift kit. The rear suspension is very low and scrapes the ground at even the slightest of angles. It's so low in fact if you put any weight at all in the back of the van, trailer hitch or anything else over 120 lb., oncoming drivers will continuously flash their high beams at you as the front end raises your headlight beam right into the oncoming drivers' eyes. They think you have your high beams on, but you don't!
ldancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #19
seircram
AF Newbie

There is a rather inexpensive <$100 air-lift bladder available (I believe Firestone is the actual mfg.) that fits inside the Sienna rear springs and seems to be very popular with the Sienna towing crowd. It keeps the rear-end from sagging with a load.

People who have installed it suggest it's about a 2-hour DIY job or a <$100 install job from your local tire dealer (e.g., Les Schwab).

I suggest checking out www.siennaclub.org for more postings on the subject.

If you have an AWD Sienna with run-flats, you might want to reconsider using anything smaller than a 2" receiver. If, like a lot of Sienna AWD owners, you come to the realization that the run-flat tires are over-priced, rapidly wearing, less-than-ideal tires, you are going to want to figure out where to put a spare.

And if that's the case -- and you don't want to down-grade to smaller wheels and tires (so that one can fit inside a 3rd-row seat well -- for the price of one run-flat tire, you could hook up with a Bonarue 2 Spare Tire Carrier-like device (which only fits 2" receivers). The main thing here is that it easily flips down so you can open the rear hatch door.
seircram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:20 PM   #20
endonesia
AF Newbie

I install hitches and wiring in a small town shop in iowa, i personally have installed hitches on the sienna vans, the best hitch that i have found (no customer complaints about dragging) has been the "rigid" brand, sure they are ugly "box" style hitches but they tend to offer the clearance that outers dont, i also install "curt" brand hitches those i have only had 2 complaints in the last year for dragging, but then again who in their right mnid would pull a 22' travel trailer with a small minivan?
endonesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #21
jzchen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seircram
There is a rather inexpensive <$100 air-lift bladder available (I believe Firestone is the actual mfg.) that fits inside the Sienna rear springs and seems to be very popular with the Sienna towing crowd. It keeps the rear-end from sagging with a load.
Firestone makes it and another company called Air Lift Company. You can compare the two for yourself: www.ride-rite.com and www.airliftcompany.com, respectively. If you get an On Board Air System you get a lifetime warranty on the Air Lift 1000 from Air Lift. I found the Air Lift 1000 at www.summitracing.com for $66.88 plus $8.95 handling as the best price so far.

Does anyone know about a sway control device that works with the Toyota DPS hitch receiver, (1.25")?
jzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
Toshakitty
AF Newbie

Don't buy the Airlift air bags! I've had 3 sets now, and they POP! Yes, they have a "Lifetime Warranty". This only means you WILL NEVER get your money back! It means for your lifetime, they will send you new sets of air bags (if you fight with them), which will also pop. I spoke with the guy in Quality. He explained that they actually CUT the air bags to make them fit a Toyota Sienna. Then, at least in Texas, in the summer, they get too hot and pop at the seam. When I pressed for my money back, I was told "Our bags are designed to prevent drop, not necessarily add lift". And, they won't offer any solutions, nor will they send me my money back. I'm thinking about trying the Firestone brand, or maybe air shocks.

Anyone tried to lift the Sienna's? I am 2" off the ground when pulling my pop-up! If you are able to lift it, what did you use?
Toshakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
Toshakitty
AF Newbie

Don't buy the Airlift air bags! I've had 3 sets now, and they POP! Yes, they have a "Lifetime Warranty". This only means you WILL NEVER get your money back! It means for your lifetime, they will send you new sets of air bags (if you fight with them). I spoke with the guy in Quality. He explained that they actually CUT the air bags to make them fit a Toyota Sienna. Then, at least in Texas, in the summer, they get too hot and pop at the seam. When I pressed for my money back, I was told "Our bags are designed to prevent drop, not necessarily add lift". And, they won't offer any solutions, nor will they send me my money back. I'm thinking about trying the Firestone brand, or maybe air shocks.

Anyone tried to lift the Sienna's? I am 2" off the ground when pulling my pop-up! If you are able to lift it, what did you use?
Toshakitty is offline   Reply With Quote