Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #16
UncleBenRep
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to UncleBenRep
Re: Dilema....honda accord vs. 240sx

thats y i said rarely logik....i know awd is to prevent drifting but if you read this chunk of this article...im sure everyone who knows skyline has read this article already... http://www.jbskyline.net/R34/GTR/index3.php ..... says that the awd system allows drifting. Not sure if it applys when i have it in the 240sx but my intentions are not drifting in the first place....just once in a while to mess around. Does anybody know if anyone has done what i want to do to my car???? why would it cost 25k to make it awd....me and my dad are doing all/most the labor???.....I figure if i have the whole front clip...then i can just gut the 240 and make the awd work......but im just hoping it would be that easy....(shit in one hand and wish in the other...)
UncleBenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #17
TheLogikal1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TheLogikal1

dilema? 90 accord vs 240sx?

is your dilema brain damage?

1994 lexus sc300 (dead)
tein cs
kenwood flip out 7'' screen

1995 Nissan 240sx 5 speed (dead)
GP Sports Spec-D exhaust
Custom Carbon Fiber Intake
17'' ricer wheels in Kumhos

hahaha stole this pose off of koguchi...my shirt makes me look fat...ahaha
TheLogikal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:28 AM   #18
ironzpy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ironzpy

I thought you didnt have money, so why are you talking about getting awd, anyone here will tell you that shit is expensive. If you want to know why it is so expensive it because of the ammount of skyline parts you need, not included in a front clip most of the time. And also the ammount of fabbed. parts.

If you want a good car, go with the 240 and either get a turbo on the ka or sr20. if you and you dad do the work it will be the most cost effective way to get a car that will get all the pre teen girls wet.
ironzpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:23 AM   #19
sidewayzS13
doin it sidewayz

Send a message via AIM to sidewayzS13

WOW that is amazing u and ur dad better be damn good at what yall do when it come to cars cause putting a rb26dett and also making the 240 awd is a hell of a stretch. if i was u i would just drop the rb25 in there and keep it rwd so i could still drift but hey im not u so have fun running into ur numerous problems that you will encounter over the many many months it takes u to do this project if u do actually suceed. as negative as i sound i really do wish u the best of luch if u do try to put the rb26 awd in the 240 and i want to see pics if u pull it off
sidewayzS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:27 AM   #20
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
Re: Re: Dilema....honda accord vs. 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO411
now the RB25 is cheaper, and seems to have a bigger after market following as the RB26 is newer. .
Thats_Dead_Wrong,_The_RB26_is_older_then_the_rb25_ and_Godzilla_has_way_more_time_spent_on_tuning_and _aftermarket_parts,_if_anything_the_RB25_barely_ha s_any_upgrades_sans_the_GReddy_Intake_Manifold.The _RB25_is_a_Taxi_motor

MUAHAHAHAHA

always-nice-for-logikal-to-chime-in-some-much-needed-common-sense

Good-Luck-with-making-it-AWD-NOBODY-has-been-able-to-do-that.To_do_that_basically_its_going_to_be_like_mak ing_a_nascar_or_something_from_scratch.You-will-need-to-fab-and-weld-up-a-new-frame-with-rocket-science-like-thought-process-on-where-to-mount-the-suspension-pieces,you-will-need-all-new-fabricated-steering-parts,-axels-,knuckles,-brakes,suspension-components,-and-the-new-frame-to-mount-all-this-custom-stuff-to....Thats-why-it-costs-in-upwards-of-20,000-dollars!---this-is-not-some-do-on-weekends-in-your-garage-type-of-project.-Its-serious-fuckin-work-that-nobody-to-my-knowledge-has-sucessfully-made-work-properly.

my_fucking_spacebar-key-is-FUCKED-up
SR20DETpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #21
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper

Logik always funny stuff man!

damn you aint kidding with a fukd keyboard
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:11 PM   #22
UncleBenRep
AF Regular

hey guys i just wanna say thanks for not goin off on me like in other threads.....at work i was reading a really old thread from 03' bout some kid that wanted to do a s14 to s15 conversion....and it ended up turning into a big cock fight over a ridiculus question....got me to thinking.....cuz im realizing that my project is pretty ridiculus too!....I thought that somebody has already done a awd swap into a sx...but apparently not.....but that old thread also brought up another good point. they were bitching about how all these people are just jumping on the bandwagon and getting JDM cuz everyone else is and how its not unique anymore. Well if i did pull off the awd would that be a first....would that be unique??? Hell i dont even know if the benefits would be worth the effort....maybe ill just go with a rb25 with rwd to make it more simple.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #23
publicenemy137
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to publicenemy137

or you could do rb26dett w/ an rb25det tranny to make it RWD. Of course rb26dett is more work and more expensive but it is a better engine, considering you have a lot of money to put in it
Old 08-13-2004, 03:36 AM   #24
DWF Engineering
AF Regular

I think the S14 is the place to start making a Skyline look-a-like but I would strongly advise keeping the KA24DE unless you are hell bent on the JDM engine. Stock for stock the RB has greater performance than the KA but compare the RB (you said $5500) to a wisely tuned KA with the same amount invested and you'll find the KA to be more potent. Observe the following:

S14 (stock)
16.3 sec @ 86 mph

+ straight pipe replacing cat. (I can get away with this in Texas, don't know about Wisconsin)
cost: $20 from muffler shop
16.0 sec @ 88 mph
performance investment: $20

+ remove engine fan from front of engine (only if your car has an electric one too, the fan weighs about 4 lbs, effect is similar to light pullies but far cheaper, I've had no over heating in Texas)
cost: $0
15.8 sec @ 89 mph
per. inv.: $20

+ S-AFC and retune (I did this with no EGT or AF readings; if you have a good ear for what is going on in the engine you won't need them but its way safer to use them)
cost: $400 (wide band EGO w/ AF gauge: $300, pyrometer w/ gauge: $100, so you could say "cost: $800" if you want these too)
15.6 @ 90
per. inv.: $420

+ exhaust (you could get the same results at this point with a performance muffler only because the exhuast gas volume won't be much higher than stock; to make things simple we'll assume you buy a cat-back system; I know there are more cost effective mods that we could install at this stage but moddifying exhaust early on is my philosophy)
cost: $500
15.3 @ 92
per. inv. $920

+ header
cost: $400
15.2 @ 93
per. inv.: $1320

+ short intake (move your battery to the driver's side and the MAF/cone filter to the passenger side)
cost: $100
14.9 @ 94
per. inv. $1420

+ Stillen S1 cams
cost: $600
14.7 @ 97
per. inv.: $2020

+ turbo; 5 psi; no intercooler
cost: $1400
13.7 @ 104
per. inv.: $3420

+ FMIC (intercooler)
cost: $600
13 @ 108
per. inv.: $4020

+ boost; 7 psi (intercooler allows higher boost)
cost: $0
12.6 @ 112
per. inv.: $4020

+ Ford Cobra MAF w/ big injectors; 12 psi
cost: $800
11.9 @ 118
per. inv.: $4820

So now spend the remaining money as you see fit. This could be achieved for less money than I've shown here if you really like bargain hunting. I know that to actually get figures like these you'll need more traction than the stock tires and differential offer. I'm simply comparing KA to RB. Now lets look at what you may expect from the RB26DETT w/ AWD conversion.

13.0 sec @ 106
cost: $5500 (before labor and extranious parts needed)

If an AWD S14 if your dream car...It can be done. I've seen one; I believe it was originally built by Unstable Hybrids. Further, this will be cheaper than your real dream of a GT-R. The reason I present the option of the stock-block KA-T is because I believe one of the first things you brought up was a lack of liquid assets to use in the project and the KA-T is by far the most cost effective way to get big performance from a USDM S14. Let me also say this; when you get your 240sx and start researching ways to get more power you'll run into many different opinions and it will seem easier to "just get a more powerful engine". Its true that anyone with a hoist, welder, basic shop tools and knowledge can perform an engine swap but really for your time and money the KA-T will deliver better results. May God aid you in your decision and your labor.
DWF Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #25
TheLogikal1
AF Enthusiast

turbo+header?

1994 lexus sc300 (dead)
tein cs

GP Sports Spec-D exhaust

Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #26
UncleBenRep
AF Regular

DWF your my friggin hero?????.....thanks a ton for doing all of that....im sure u had that figured out already but still. the last couple days ive been changing my mind about engines/trannies that i want to do....one day i say im gonna go all the way...then other days its the rb25 and last night i ran into an old friend who is opening his shop and his friend just happens to have an extra sr20 because he drifts......imagine that.....so now im debating of just going the easiest/fastest/cheapest route and sticking the sr20 in my car. Its smaller displacement....but lighter and puts out as much or more than the KA so then y not??? or am i thinking about it the wrong way? DWF i completely agree about the air and exhaust.....its the easiest/cheapest way to free up horsepower by letting all the gases flow better. But y do you suggest moving the air filter to the other side??? Kind of off topic....but i have my pricelist of my honda saved as a exel file......is there anyway to attach to the post....because now that im changing cars i donno what companies to choose cuz now NISMO and HKS and other big names come into mind and i was wondering if i should just use the same companies for my sx. Another off topic question but ive been looking at getting some tein coilovers that are Compatible with their new EDFC (electronic Dampening) and im finding out that it would be cheaper to get air ride then to go with the coilovers.......is air ride better/ worse then coilovers???? would i benefit having the coilovers or air ride....i guess i havent really read up on air ride....Also does the sr20 come with a stock intercooler?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #27
illbeatyourhonda
AF Regular

i would scrap the rb ideas and go with an sr20det....they have more aftermarket support then you know what to do with. the rb's are to costly and not as easy to get parts for. you need to consider those things. an sr can give you some nice hp numbers for a much cheaper cost and they are very easy to swap...just food for thought
illbeatyourhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:58 PM   #28
TheLogikal1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Dilema....honda accord vs. 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenRep
DWF your my friggin hero

keep sucking his dick, im sure he's enjoying it.

lol jp

dwf, im sure ka is cheaper and shit, but have you ever thought about how uncomfortable it is to have such a high powered i4?

personally, id much rather have an rb due to the 6 cylinders, therefore a much much smoother powerband....but thats my opinion. id rather not drive a full blooded race car down the road.

btw youll need waay waaaay more parts than what you listed to get 11s.

1994 lexus sc300 (dead)
tein cs

GP Sports Spec-D exhaust

Old 08-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #29
illbeatyourhonda
AF Regular

i agree i dont see 11's at 12psi. i built a couple ka turbo setups and have many hours of labor in them, they usually hit mid 12's which is nice, its not overkill and you can still drive it daily if you like
illbeatyourhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:58 PM   #30
UncleBenRep
AF Regular

mid 12's would be fast enough for the competiton around here....but y stop there right???....around my area there is a ton of hmongs that have there parents buy them a civic or an accord and they stick tips on them and a bodykit and they think that they own the roads! One of the smaller reasons why im doing my car is to prove a point to them that their cars are all show and no go. Makes me mad that they think that by making there car look cool will make their car will go faster. Nothing against the hmongs in any way but yea they anger me for that fact sometimes. There are a few people around here that have there shit straight and have fast cars and my hats off to them for knowing a thing or 2. My real competition in La Crosse is a supposedly 700hp trans am, saleen mustang, and a nsx......those are the guyz im not gonna mess with for a while.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX