Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

79 Camaro Project

I bought my next project car last weekend. A 79 Camaro that needs major TLC. The body is rough and been picked at quite a bit. Its missing the hood, clip and bumper, dash, drivers door, tail lights, and needs glass, wheels and minor trim.

The ONLY THING that made me even buy it was when i pulled the seats and carpet out of it, the floors are great condition and still shine in most places. No dents on the top of the car, or rust anywhere other than a few spots of surface rust. I also chose mine over the others cause its stock skin is black interior and exterior. The suspension is complete and needs some brakes and bushings, your normal stuff.

I bought it from my boss, who has three more second gens he said i could "pick at some". A 77, a 78, and another 79, so parts are plentiful and DIRT CHEAP. I chose mine over the others because its absence of rust. Two of them are complete but lack what interior color i want and have some rust repair needed. They do have lots of sheet metal to chose from. Ive already dug up a perfect straight hood/hinges and drivers door. ALL the interior lacks in mine is a dash, door panel backing, floor carpet and front seat covers.

Anyhow, it looks like shit but i will get some pics in the next week or so once i get a door and front end on it. I plan on getting after it this or next weekend and getting the major body parts dug up and sorted out. This car will now be the new home of my 400/400 PONTIAC drivetrain.

Oh yeah, i payed $150.00 cash for it and the most expensive part i will have to buy is the glass

This is my official ground up thread for this car. I might dig out the digicam and snap some shots along the way during this project, sort of a before and after deal.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Firebirdlad03
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Firebirdlad03
Re: 79 Camaro Project

150 cash....lucky! I think all of us would has snatched that up.

92 Firebird formula...

Firebirdlad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Between the four of them i will have a complete car. Prep for paint is going to be easy and the plastic pieces to the interior still shine. It needs a lot of work but i know i can make a solid complete car of it.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
chevygrl
AF Newbie

I hope you got a title with that 79 project. I just had to cut up my nearly mint condition 78 camaro cause I couldn't get paper work for it.
chevygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Im not worried about that. Its been behind the shop i work at for several years and it has no leins on it other than the storage lein im about to put on it, wich is WAY more than anybody will be willing to pay in its current condition..
Old 06-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygrl
I hope you got a title with that 79 project. I just had to cut up my nearly mint condition 78 camaro cause I couldn't get paper work for it.
Screw that. i would've just bought a cheap '78 and swapped over the "identity".
Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Ive been meaning to get on this project but ive been too busy to do much other than look at it. im going to have to sit aside a couple of weekends to get it moved around to the front of the shop so i can start bolting it back together. Its buried behind so much shit that getting it around the front of the shop is going to take half a day.

Anyways heres a few pics

It looks so bad, but with a little work its going to make a nice car. After looking around, turns out the body is complete and original minus the drivers door and part of the spoiler.

As soon as time will allow i will get it on the lift and check out evrything a little closer.

Last edited by hotrod_chevyz; 09-13-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

heres the car that will donate the door, dash and whatever else i need. Its the same car as mine exact, just yellow.

The front end of mine is leaning against the van.

Last edited by hotrod_chevyz; 02-23-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Got most of the parts rounded up but i havent had a lot of time to mess with it. More hours in a day would equal this SOB already put together. Im ordering a passenger rear quarter panel for it, and will go ahead and replace the passenger fender and hood. Other than that some bolts and spacers and it will be straight and ready for a candy wrapper.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions