Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
chris0110
AF Newbie

Talking EGR valve

Hi, new person here. I recently was told I needed a EGR valve for my 1999 Mitsubishi Galant and I have no clue where to get it. I've called parts stores and none have it. Help someone! Thanks! Oh by the way, what is an EGR valve?
chris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:07 AM   #2
Galant2004
AF Newbie

Re: EGR valve

EGR valve is called Exhaust Gas Recirculating system, it brings the unburn gas from the exhaust manifold back into throttle body. For 1999 Galant, you must replace the EGR valve if faulty, otherwise an error code will be sent and engine check light will appear on dash. In long term you could possibly damage the O2 sensor as well.
Galant2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
bobinohio84
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to bobinohio84
Re: EGR valve

Just a quick note. I too have been told that an egr valve was a culprit on my car, but guess what, that's not always the case. And on the plus side it's easy to test. Usaully an egr valve is simply vacuum operated and if u feel under it (using a finger or two) you can feel if the diaphram is working. Warm up the car till the fans come on and rev it to 3-4k rpms and keep a finger on it to check it. If ur by urself simply use the throttle cable under hood while using the other hand to check the diaphram. What typically happens is that carbon builds up and clogs the passage or the diaphram leaks, but check it out cuz an egr usually isn't cheap. In my case the car(84hondapreludedualcarb) had a bad thermostat and I didn't notice cuz the temp was good. Good Luck and let me know.
bobinohio84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant