Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Dragon GTR
AF Newbie

SR20DET Question

I own a 1991 GTR and it has become pretty obvious I won't be able to import it leaglly no matter what. So I've picked another car for when I get back to the States. A Nissan 240SX S-14, but what I want to know is how hard is it to have a SR20DET imported to swap into it? I know this question may have been asked before a bunch of times but any help and answers provided would be greatly appreciated.
Dragon GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
XeVeNskyLiNE
Turbo makes me emo!

Send a message via AIM to XeVeNskyLiNE
In terms of engine swap it'll be relatively easy becuase its been done a million and one times. When you buy the engine, you could either by a whole front clip, which would nearly insure you have all the little parts you'll need to make the swap run smoothly. Or you can just buy the engine and you might have to do some shopping afterwards to smoothin things out. As far how hard it is to actually get one, its almost as easy as calling I shop that carries them and/or imports them and place an order.

Illegal GTR, I'd take one of those....

Currently in Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona MySpace My S14 and DSM
XeVeNskyLiNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777
Re: SR20DET Question

are you in the military? becuase if you are, the military WILL ship the car. you'll have to do quite a bite of paper work...but dont you think its worth it. Then all you have to do is send it to motorex to legalize it 5-25k (depends on year)
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Dragon GTR
AF Newbie

Re: Re: SR20DET Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking777
are you in the military? becuase if you are, the military WILL ship the car. you'll have to do quite a bite of paper work...but dont you think its worth it. Then all you have to do is send it to motorex to legalize it 5-25k (depends on year)

I've read on this very forum that Motrex no longer does that and furthermore the skyline was being taken off the list of cars approved for import. I could get the military to ship it but it would be a waste since I can't get it leagalized anywhere.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
Dragon GTR
AF Newbie

Re: Re: SR20DET Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking777

I've read on this very forum that Motrex no longer does that and furthermore the skyline was being taken off the list of cars approved for import. I could get the military to ship it but it would be a waste since I can't get it legalized anywhere.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
SkylineMan32

He said GT-R so I assume RB26, what I have heard is to have the car sent to canada and legalised there. Then ship the to america, and re-regester it and have the speedos changed over. They were doing it with JDM CRXs here in Cinci.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #7
LaYzIeNoY
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to LaYzIeNoY
i think the military got a waver thing, at least thats what the guy here was telling me

this one marine here in my city had a skyline gtr black brought here to florida from japan
LaYzIeNoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #8
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player

you should sell your GTR, buy an S15....and when it gets here swap over all the VIN numbers and stuff from a doner S14 onto your S15. I dont know if that would work but its a sweet idea...Good luck with whatever car you choose. Got any pics of your GTR?

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

In Canada, we can import any cars that was manufactured 15 years ago or more, so anything from 1991 or older, next summer the 92 will be able to come in. (It's based on production date, not model year, 1991s were made in 1990.)

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
240SXSlideStar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX