Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
Zintorn
AF Newbie

Dash Lights flickers+ battery & abs light

So this is more or less to help inform others. I noticed my dash lights began to dim and then get brighter, like it was flickering. My battery light would turn on and then go away to what seems to be completely random. Along with that my abs light would come on with the battery light at times.

I knew it wasn’t my alternator since I’ve already changed it and had it tested at an auto parts store. My battery tested to be perfect too. Next I took voltage readings using a multimeter. This was to check for voltage drop between connection points. There are quite a lot of videos online to help if needed. Basically voltage drop is a result of high resistance, which is a loose or corroded connection.

After taking a lot of readings I was having an entire volt loss from my positive terminal on my battery to the post on my alternator. If you get this reading as I did, first check the voltage drop at the nut on the threaded stud, and then at the connector that is connected to the wire. If there is a substantial difference the problem lies in the connection there. If not then it may be somewhere else.

A lot of searching went down until I got to the point of looking under the fuse box that my alternator fuse was located. Under the fuse are bolts, while the car was running and as I was pulling the fuse box out I seen multiple sparks. I turned the car off, pulled the fuse box out more and touched the bolt. It was extremely hot. With a bad electrical connection comes resistance of trying to overcome an air gap, with resistance comes heat. After tightening the fastener and putting everything back to where it was originally my car is great condition again. There was no need to replace the battery, alternator, or any wires.

South Main Auto Repair LLC has a great video on YouTube that helped find the issue for my car. Be sure to test before you buy a new alternator for no reason.
Zintorn is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista