Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #16
juma33
AF Newbie

other stuff

I think the low cost mods from my LT1 caprice would also work on trucks. (1) throttle body bypass for coolant. keeps the throttle body cooler. more throttle response (2) 160 thermostat(10 bux). keeps the whole motor cooler. heat stress is what causes water pumps to fail and all the various gaskets. running a little cooler makes the motor a bit more responsive. (3) MAF screens gotta go, as earlier noted. more throttle response. (4) vent the crankcase with a little K&N filter(10) bux). opens up the top end a bit. (5) get a K&N cone filter, rubber pipe couplers from home depot, and build a intake like on the corvette - short, right off the intake (50). cold air quick gives a big punch. probably worth 10 hp at least. Its 20 on a caprice, verified by dyno. (6) the throttle position sensor can often be fine tuned to give better throttle response. need a multimeter to get the voltage at idle then set it to spec by drilling out one screw hole of the sensor and rotate to get the precise voltage, then tighten the screw. (7) smaller crank pully, probably (100 bux, maybe less). this adds a lot to torque over the whole power band, way more than you would think for the 5-10 horsepower claimed.

after that, its real money. I'd consider 1.6 roller rockers. late 70's early 80's camaro headers fit a lot of vehicles including the caprice so will probably fit the truck too. afterburners are pretty good for less than 200 bux. An LT1 fan system would be a big plus as noted earlier by someone else and it would also enable a better short cold air intake right in front of the motor.

After that, I'd look at the brakes. I bet, like the caprice, they still have the same 95-5 balance between front and rear, even though its 4 wheel disk rather than rear drum. This calls for pulling the spring out of the front of the combi valve and replacing the front bolt with a shortened rear bolt. also, if you have ever had to stop quick, you may have noticed a delay when you hit the pedal like a madman and nothing happened for 2 seconds - thats a metering set up for making the rear drums start a nanosecond faster than the front disks. you pull the rear combi valve plug out and grind down the end of the plug past the threads so it won't cover half the front brake orifice and leave it open. This makes for quick brakes. a set of stainless steel wrapped brakelines is a must too as well as speedbleeders to help get the lines all re-bled and working right.

juma
juma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #17
Phix_06
AF Regular

Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Thank you juma for the selection on mods. Are there any other brave souls that have tried out things with their truck "with sucess"???
Phix_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #18
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
I've done the egr shave, the throttle body coolant bypass, the maf mod, and when I had the original airbox in the truck, I cut a hole in the bottom of the box and the plate and ran some tubing from the opening of the airdam to the intake box to get a ram air effect. I later removed this for an airaid intake kit. Now all I need for the ramair effect is just remove the passenger side headlight at the track.

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:34 PM   #19
Phix_06
AF Regular

How easy is it to remove the side panal of the intake box and does it makle that much of a difference?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #20
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

This is basically the diagram I used.
Cut a 4" round hole in the bottom of the air box with a 4" hole saw, reinstall lower air box and mark the hole on the lower mounting plate. Use a jig or saber saw to cut a hole in the bottom mounting plate. Get some 4" flex duct (dryer hose will work) and run it up through the hole in the air box. Get a 5x10 rectangular A/C duct from Lowes or Home Depot and mount it in the hole next to the passenger side fog light. It'll have to be trimmed at about a 45* angle to line up with the lower gray valance under the bumper. Secure the scoop with some kind of strap or something and connect the 4" flex duct to it. I could tell it helped the stock airbox and k&n filter get some more air.

I didn't take any pictures of it back then, but I found this picture and its basically what it will look like in the airbox

Old 01-29-2004, 12:35 AM   #21
Phix_06
AF Regular

Good deal did you notice much difference?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:01 AM   #22
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

I had a very noticeable increase when I was on the gas. It definately helps to get some much needed air to the filter. It's a real good mod for the small cost. It also gives you a good feeling knowing it is a homemade job that produces results.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #23
Phix_06
AF Regular

How do you get pics on the site? I would like to show my truck and see if people can guess what I did
Old 01-29-2004, 09:32 AM   #24
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

If you have the pics on anothe page, just use the insert image button. It's right under the font list. Just hit the button and post the address of the picture.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #25
Phix_06
AF Regular

What is a good exhaust system to go with?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:35 AM   #26
bowtieguy
AF Regular

surveyor thanks for the info and the link to sshotrods. very good info.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:28 PM   #27
juma33
AF Newbie

unless you really raise horsepower or just want to make noise, be best bang for the buck is a walker hemi-super turbo muff. they sound almost stock buy flow better than any other turbo, straight thru, or sound chamber muffler. otherwise the stock exhaust will do itfor you.

juma
juma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #28
Phix_06
AF Regular

ABout what price range do these run?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #29
NUCLEUS.ONE
AF Regular

anybody have the voltair (sp?) cold air with the tube that runs down under the front air dam? is it worth it?
NUCLEUS.ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #30
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

I have seen the volant systems at work. They are a very nice system, and will definately increase the airflow.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K