Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 11:37 PM   #1
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Cool

Well even though he lives about 1 mile from me, CharlesH got his KMA bumper at least a day before I did. So much for FedEx ground.

I'm posting the pictures for Charles after he came by my house tonight, as he's headed off to Moab and has better things to do (lucky bastard).

Anyway here are the pics. If he doesn't comment tonight, I'll post some of my observations:

Old 04-19-2001, 12:45 AM   #2
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Smile Hehe, I've seen that truck before!

I don't have time to detail everything right now, but yes, that's mine! I actually think it's kind of funny that Schlud's bumper and tire carrier beat mine to Seattle, but mine was delivered first. I do think it's odd that it takes 2 days from Portland to Seattle on FedEx ground. Anyway, I'm mostly pleased with the bumper. most problems are cosmetic or fixable. Yay...Moab!
Old 04-19-2001, 01:50 AM   #3
unite@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to unite@af
Are you guys planing on doing any suspension mods?
Old 04-19-2001, 01:55 AM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by unite@af
Are you guys planing on doing any suspension mods?
What mods are you interested in?

I have upgraded my torsion bars already, and have Bilstein shocks all around.

After looking at the impact the extra weight already has had on Charles' rear leafs (albeit already blown), I'm quickly considering adding a new spring pack.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:34 AM   #5
blenderhead
AF Newbie

KMA bumper

I really really dig the KMA bumper with the tire mount. I have just heard so much bad stuff about KMA (the company) with customer support, and prompt shipping. Maybe its worth it though. For those of you that already have one.......would you do it over again?:alien:

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto
blenderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 12:37 PM   #6
unite@af
Old Mod

Well I was wondering if you plan on lifting the exterra, regearing, engine mods, lockers, new differentials, etc. If you have problems with the rear sagging then get a spring helper. ITs jsut another leaf spring that is super rigid and will tension your back spring pack. They cost like 80 bucks for a nice set. Easy installation.
Old 04-22-2001, 12:34 AM   #7
gothamist
AF Regular

Well...

Well, I think I'll put Dana 60's under it front and rear as soon as people stop spelling it exterra.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:45 PM   #8
unite@af
Old Mod

my bad

Sorry about that. xterra. there you go. now you can put those dana 60s under it... Are you serious about that? I hope not.
Old 04-23-2001, 01:05 PM   #9
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
Re: KMA bumper

Quote:
Originally posted by blenderhead
I really really dig the KMA bumper with the tire mount. I have just heard so much bad stuff about KMA (the company) with customer support, and prompt shipping. Maybe its worth it though. For those of you that already have one.......would you do it over again?:alien:
absolutely F@%#ing NO!!!!!!!!! after what i had to spend this weekend fixing all of KMAs screw ups and finding out how bad the welds were and how NOTHING is square. no F@%#ing way would i ever buy anything with them again!!!!!

Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 03:41 AM   #10
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

No, I wouldn't do it again, but what's done is done! Here's my list of problems, which is particularly lengthy when you consider the 3-1/2 month wait!:

1) Missing or misaligned bolt holes. Unable to properly attach bumper right away and bumper rubs the paint on the rear of my truck.

2) Left side sits lower than right. (Do they know what a tape measure is?)

3) Bumper is kind of twisted from left to right, making an awkward fit. I will have to shim the left side to level it out atleast a little.

4) Wheel bolts not properly spaced.

5) Wheel support arm too short.

6) Carrier hinge bolt too short (um, duh!)

7) Carrier hits receiver when closing. I have to lift up on the arm to clear.

8) Welds are ugly (like worse than I would do and I've never welded anything in my life!)

9) Paint problems including poor coverage in spots and plenty of runs. There certainly was no surface prep.

KMA waited until the weekend before I got the bumper to actually build it and it shows. The quality is just plain crap.

Now, the good news is I have something to work with and most or all of the things that need to be fixed can be done by myself or my Brother. The basic design is good and I like the looks (from a distance!). I have to repair my bodywork behind the bumper, but will drill and reallign as necessary and then repaint the bumper later. I plan to lower the tire about 2 inches and maybe move it left a couple inches too.

I had better bumper ideas, but having them built was going to cost too much money. At that time, Mosi decided he didn't want the KMA, so I bought his order. The price is good, but you get what you pay for. I'm now wishing I had spent the extra $300 or $400 to build one of my designs. With any luck, there will be better offerings coming soon, so I would wait. KMA should not even be doing business, and I doubt they will be in business for a very long time.

Old 04-26-2001, 10:53 AM   #11
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

KMA bumper

Well, I'm still waiting for mine even though you guys ordered yours weeks after I did. I'm a bit perturbed.

Question: where does the bumper rub the paint off the rear of your truck?

:smoker2:
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:03 AM   #12
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

The diamond plating on the top of the bumper rubs the area just under the hatch. I need to bring it out a little on the right side, repair that section, and add something to cover it up. I'll try and take a picture to show what I mean.
Old 04-26-2001, 08:18 PM   #13
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: KMA bumper

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher
Well, I'm still waiting for mine even though you guys ordered yours weeks after I did. I'm a bit perturbed.

:smoker2:
I traded quick KMA delivery for advertising and my unbiased reviews.

Didn't Todd order his after all of us? He got his before Charles did.
Old 04-27-2001, 07:29 AM   #14
gothamist
AF Regular

Nice one Schlud

Synchro tried that one as well but apparently KMA isn't happy with the advertising he's doing for them.

FYI, 5 of us from MAXC all bought ours at pretty much the same time (w/in two or three days of each other was when we placed the order), as we got a discount that way. Consider the money we saved as simply the start of our personal "fix-the-KMA" fund.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:34 AM   #15
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I kept hearing from KMA that they had to get Todd's done early because he was rear-ended.

Doesn't seem to matter much. They were all late. We kept bugging them about our Moab trip, so I guess they got tired of us calling them.

Hey we should make a how-to for fixing our KMA's.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail