Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
rockchuckin'madman
AF Newbie

Question '73 AMC Hornet fastback

I just picked up a '73 Hornet and it runs sweet. It has an in-line 6 with original transmission. I was hoping that someone could give me a few pointers on what I can add/change on my engine to boost it. Also if anybody knows where I can get a body kit to spice it up abit, I would be greatful. I promise to post before & after pics in a few months when I am done.
rockchuckin'madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

You could get a bit more power out of the original engine but why bother?
An AMC V8 was an option in those cars and will bolt right in. Just locate the correct engine mounts and away you go. Any AMC v8 from 304 to 401 would give you much more potential than the original engine. You can even sell the original as it is popular in Jeeps.
If you must keep it, there is a company called Clifford that sells all the usual manifolds, cams etc for this engine.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
GremlinXguy
AF Newbie

Re: '73 AMC Hornet fastback

Is it a 232, or 258? the 258 has some potential, Clifford would be your best bet for that. My opinion would be to save the money your gonna spend on that body kit no one makes and get your self a V8 for it. You can find 304's and 360's for pretty cheap, but a 390, or 401 would be tit's. It all depends on how much you wanna spend $$.

And if you do stick with the 6, Don't make the mistake most make and over carburate it.
GremlinXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:17 AM   #4
rockchuckin'madman
AF Newbie

Thanks for the insight on this issue. Both of you have the right idea. I was thinking of dropping in a V8, but that is so staple down here(plus I have grown quite partial to the in-line aspect). Everybody has a hotrod with a chromed out V8. I was also thinking of going crazy with it and taking a 5.7 from a Crown Victoria, but I detest the concept of computer controled systems (dummy lights are not happening). I have to search for an in-line 8, if it will fit...that is. The one that is in there is a 258 and in really good shape 2 owners and less than 150K miles on it with a rebuilt original trani. Right now I am fabricating a stainless steel dash for it, so I know that I have some time before I make a decision on the engine.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
GremlinXguy
AF Newbie

Stick with AMC. There is nothing more offending than putting a chevy or ford engine in an AMC!
GremlinXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
rockchuckin'madman
AF Newbie

LOL!!! gremlin you are a riot! I was thinking the same thing. I just got a catalog from summit and there are some sweet engines in there...but, just not for an AMC. I finally have the whole car apart(hour or 2 after work every day) and have started to blast it. I have had some problems finding the stainless steel moldings. Do I have to fabricate them too? Does anybody know where I can get the moldings? I lucked out my last day off. I needed a drivers side door latch because the one that is there is broken. I went to my favorite junk yard and guess what just came in... a matador. I had to do some filing down on the housing to make it fit, but it worked like a charm. I took the passenger side also(for when that one breaks).
Old 03-20-2004, 08:45 PM   #7
irdc019
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to irdc019 Send a message via MSN to irdc019
360!!!!

Few things look better in a hornet than a 360!!! I've seen several hornets with 360s that are pure rocket ships. I'm guessing your trans is a torqueflite 727, which the 360 is perfect for. You'll need a new bellhousing and mounts. But believe me, it'll be worth it.
irdc019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 01:40 AM   #8
AMC360Concord
AF Newbie

A 360 is a great choice for this car.

It just barely fits, its gonna take a lot of patience, but well worth it.
You are going to need a stronger radiator to keep that engine cool.
Also installing aftermarket gauges will be needed.
The idiot lights from the I6 wont be much use.

I've got a 78 Concord with this 360 setup. It works really well.
The 360 bolts right to my 727 trans, which originally had a 232 I6, probably the same setup you have.

If you have the extra cash and time put a 360 in that thing, you will be very pleased with the result. You will have an awesome sleeper car.

If you decide to not dump as much money into this car. Offenhauser sells 4BBL intakes for an inline 6. JC Whitney carries em along with a few carberator options to match the intake. Headers wouldnt be a bad idea for the I6 either and shouldn't be hard to find. Either way, good luck!!
AMC360Concord is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical